any thoughts on U News?

Admittedly, I'm not as close to SLU as many of you are, but I have a difficult time accepting the idea that Biondi is the ogre many make him out to be. The man's done an excellent job in growing SLU into one of the nation's best schools.

And Fr. Biondi personally is not letting the graduating nursing students recieve their nursing pins in a formal ceremony, due to an oversight on his part.

Kudos on Rm, boo on the crass way he shitcanned Brad, and as petty as it gets on banning a nationwide nursing school tradition this year.

non crass or nice way to fire someone. What did he do wrong with UB? From all reports he gave him an additional month and a half to save his job...he didn't do it. I don't understand why people on here think he should have explained the why's and wherefore's, which would have only added to the public embarassment for UB. I think it was obvious to even the most casual observer why he was released.

There was an ad taken out by Avis Meyer, longtime advisor to the University News, on page A 10 of yesterday's Post Dispatch. He states that the administration wants to end the paper's ability to be a student voice. I know Bonwich wrote for the U News (my sister was editor when he was there) and he is probably more qualified to comment than anyone on this board. The ad also states that concerned alumni should call or e-mail Fr. Biondi, Kent Porterfield or Joe Weixlmann. You better hurry; the trustee's meeting voting on the change to the charter is today. My main problem with this administration is that they consistently act like a bunch of jack-booted thugs when faced with dissent.

SLU72, here are some tips on a "non-crass" way to fire a coach...

1)Set up metrics that the coach/coaching staff are projected to meet. Review them periodically each year in a systematic manner. Discuss strategies and implement action items to strengthen weaknesses and deficiencies.

2) Involve middle management on organizational change reviews before the fact, rather than post facto.

3) Create a timeline that places a possible departing coach, new coach recruitment, recruit signing period, and university profile in a mutally advantageous scenario.

Is the best time to fire a coach immediately before the signing period? Is the best time to chase a new coach over a time period that kills the spring signing period? Is the best way to handle the media after a firing- silence?

The manner Biondi used in this process burned Brad, his staff, Cheryl, and forced the University to look like a drunk stumblebum. Doing a needed thing, looking incompetent in doing such, and embarrassing a very competent AD in the process is either crass or stupid beyond belief. There is a reason Biondi likes going to awards banquets, and hates dealing with the press and people who do not routinely march in lockstep with his vision.

>>My main problem with this administration is that they consistently act like a bunch of jack-booted thugs when faced with dissent.<<

Yeah, I hear you but isn't that part of the Catholic tradition? Our current Pope did indeed serve in Hitler's army. Do not the Jesuits style themselves as the Pope's elite guard?

What I'm trying to say is that Biondi is an old school prince of the church. This is how they operate. No one should really be surprised.

You can sugarcoat it with metrics and goals, but in the end there's no nice way to say "you're fired." Agreed, the whole thing was a slap in the face to CL. But hey let's agree to disagree about LB, and bask in the dawning of the new age of RM. Afterall, history is what it is and the best you can do is learn from it.

I wrote for the UNews for four years as an undergrad and continue to freelance for them, and let me tell you -- without Dr. Avis Meyer, the UNews would run itself into the ground. The current editorial board is incompetent, unprofessional and flat out bad at what they do.

Take for example this week's paper. A sports writer (whose name I will not mention) wrote a column reflecting on his four years at SLU (which I am assuming is 2003-2007). He included Bush/Kerry in 2004, WMD, Iraq, etc., but he also mentioned 9-11, which happened my freshman year at SLU in 2001...not exactly four years ago. Now, the copy editors should have said, "hey, do you mean things that have happened POST 9-11, like the 9-11 Commission Report, or the 9-11 memorials they are building in NYC?" I know it's a student-edited newspaper, but they do a piss poor job in my opinion. As someone who has published bylines in a Copley-owned newspaper, the UNews needs all the help they can get. I hope they save the UNews, because without it, I would have never gotten a foot in the door at the PJ Star.

I only attended the U. for slightly more than two years, and I don't recall working for a female editor. Maybe you're talking about Jeannie, but I don't think I actually worked for her.

In any event: A fellow U. Newser wrote to the three named, and got a quick response from Porterfield and Weixlmann, both of whom illustrated that the University still has light years to go in learning the fine art of public relations.

The deal is clearly done; the board is simply a rubber stamp. The person who stands to lose the most out of this is Robin Smith, the board vice chairman who allegedly is a professional journalist. If she doesn't bang her shoe on the table today, she should probably either resign from the board or resign from her day job.

I myself didn't write any e-mails 'cause when I heard Larry was trying to take over the U. News 'cause he thought it has "typos and opinion inserted into news stories," I was afraid he might try to get Dr. Chaifetz to buy the Post next. :)

Like Metzy, I also wrote for the UNews for four years; I just wrote a farewell column (but not the one referred to above)...I also covered the College Cup for CSTV.com.

My thoughts also echo every bit of what Metz has said. I however, won't go so far as to group all of the editorial board members into that same group.

Two members of the ed board quit when the Editor In Chief moved publication back a day. They had told her that it would force them to quit, and in an ironic Biondi-like fashion, she did it anyway.

To say that the paper deserves to be shut down would be going WAY too far. The editorials published in the past year, however, went beyond provocative and appropriate. They instead were provoking and a waste of space. I lost interest when the EIC put the student stipend (non-) issue in each of the first 7 or 8 issues (at least). She used the forum to put the interests of 3 students (herself included) in front of the interests of 11,000 students. After reading that all year, I'd want to restructure the advisory of that paper.

I will add, however, that additional funds would vastly improve the quality of the paper. One of my friends who worked there was hired at an agreed-upon rate which was not honored, for whatever reason. Oops. Cashflow was the reason given for why he was grossly under-paid. Further, I have been promised in each of the last four years that I would begin to be paid for my contributions. Never happened. Oops again.

That said, the UNews was a great forum for me to develop my writing and have a bit of fun. As we all know from this board, what's more fun that getting your ideas out into a public forum?

While the paper has seen (much) better days, eliminating it would be a gross error on the part of the University. I'd find it hard to believe that there is any institution of higher learning that does not have a sanctioned newspaper. Long live the UNews!

Sure, bonwich: We were paid. We staffers each received a hard-bound copy of the year's editions, with our names handsomely embossed on the cover -- remember?

I don't know about you, but it never occurred to me to ask our editors for actual money. Perhaps the fumes from the rubber cement left us too addle-brained to request our fair share of the ad department's filthy lucre, way back when.

the biggest thing that happened over the weekend is that the Board did vote to hold off -- for 10 days!--onaccepting the new charter. the story continues. . .

Here is an excerpt from Fr. Biondi's May message to faculty, which was posted Saturday afternoon:

Update on The University News charter: Much has been written and spoken this week within our SLU community regarding proposed changes to The University News charter. I feel it is very important that you understand the University's intentions and how we plan to help The University News once again become a student newspaper that offers a respected, responsible voice.

What the University is proposing is to make reasonable changes in the form of a new newspaper charter that will address continuing concerns about the fiscal operations of The University News as well as the declining quality of the newspaper.

The new charter also will provide additional resources that we believe will make the newspaper better. The administration is committed to a student newspaper that is free to make its own editorial decisions.

We believe that having a student newspaper that offers a respected, responsible voice to SLU students, faculty and staff is important for the entire Saint Louis University campus. Our intent is to revitalize the newspaper so that it can become a publication of which all SLU students, faculty and staff can be proud. The new charter will help accomplish that.

Today, the administration asked the University's Board of Trustees not to rescind the existing charter of The University News for at least 10 days to allow for further discussions with student leaders. The University's Board of Trustees approved this motion.

The Board affirmed its intent that a new charter should protect the fundamental concepts of free expression of ideas, while also providing appropriate support, both administrative and educational, in the production of the paper so that students involved have a quality learning experience.

We will meet with student leaders during the next 10 days to discuss the new charter and its implementation. A new charter is expected to be in place by May 15. The new charter will lead to an improved student newspaper that ensures the staff's editorial freedom while improving quality and fiscal responsibility.

If you are interested, you may click here to review the proposed new charter.

The problem with the UNews is its virtual monopoly of student voices. It has no competition and no publications that can be used to compare and evaluate the quality of the news they give specifically for SLU's campus. The UNews SUCKS because it has no competition that would require it to have certain standards. If there was another publication people would realize how bad the UNews is nowadays. As a current student I am tired of reading bull**** in the school newspaper, SUFA and One World to Host Dance-a-thon this Saturday isnt front page news its horse #####.