News Conference

Majerus is a really funny guy. Told a ton of jokes.

Really stressed academics the entire press conference. Kept saying how graduating players means so much more to him than things like how many assists Andre Miller gets in the NBA, et cetera.

Biondi called the Arena an $85 million arena.

Cheryl seemed like a robot.

Majerus mentioned Tommie a ton. He loves Tommie.

The place was packed! The band did not play, unless they played 15 minutes beforehand.

------------------------------------------------------------

*Official Billikens.com sponsor of Mike Beczkala

Biondi read that quote of Majerus explaining why he loves coaching college basketball.

Majerus teared up 3 times. First when mentioning Al McGuire, and twice when mentioning his mom and dad.

He went through a HUGE thank you list from ESPN people to former Jesuit teachers to former players.

Did he mention any time table for having his coaching staff in place? Also, wondering if he made any comments abount having anything up his sleeves as to recruits for this year. Still holding out hope that he might even at this late date bring in a couple recruits that would help next years team.

He said today was the last day to recruit and he's obviously not out there recruiting, so he says he's working with what he has.

He implied has a coaching staff ready, but did not want to undermine their importance by introducing them today, so he said "they'll get their big day later this week."

It was terrific. great turn-out. I sat in the front row next to coach's girlfriend, Frank C., and Randy C., with Jeff from the Post-D. right behind me.

2 things stuck out -- Coach M. has a very in-depth, and I believe genuine, interest in Jesuit eduction. and 2-- a very tender hearted person, and well-read. In particular he riffed on Mark Twain near the end.

Oddly, hardly anyone (even the journalists present, who I thought were paid to do so) had questions at the end. So I got to ask about new recruits or adding to the talent for the fall. Coach M. made it clear he was ready to play with the players he now has. He of course did not rule out adding guys but from the sound of it he realizes that may not be possible at this late stage. He said at one point there may be up to 3 scholarships not filled.

That might also mean, we end up with an incoming class of 7 freshmen for the new arena--holy cow!

Alonzo...the band was scheduled to play. At the last moment, we recieved word that the "higher powers" did not want us to play. They claimed their reasoning was to be respectful considering the circumstances surrounding the Josh Hancock Tragedy. Take it for what its worth...

>

>It was terrific. great turn-out. I sat in the front row

>next to coach's girlfriend, Frank C., and Randy C., with

>Jeff from the Post-D. right behind me.

>

>2 things stuck out -- Coach M. has a very in-depth, and I

>believe genuine, interest in Jesuit eduction. and 2-- a

>very tender hearted person, and well-read. In particular he

>riffed on Mark Twain near the end.

>

>Oddly, hardly anyone (even the journalists present, who I

>thought were paid to do so) had questions at the end. So I

>got to ask about new recruits or adding to the talent for

>the fall. Coach M. made it clear he was ready to play with

>the players he now has. He of course did not rule out

>adding guys but from the sound of it he realizes that may

>not be possible at this late stage. He said at one point

>there may be up to 3 scholarships not filled.

>

>That might also mean, we end up with an incoming class of 7

>freshmen for the new arena--holy cow!

You forgot to mention you're discussion of Mark Twain with Majerus.

The Billikens are still working on recruiting for next season. Majerus has already talked to local recruits in the junior class as well.

- Nate

>>He said at one point there may be up to 3 scholarships not filled.<<

I'm guessing Rick works cautiously and is not one to sign kids sight unseen even though we have 3 open scholarships. Personally, I'd like him to take a flier on a juco PF even if it is only to help with practice or emergency depth. We have plenty of open scholarships, are very thin up front, and if you miss with a juco the guy only eats a schollie for 2 years.

>Thanks Nate. Any specific info you can share on either

>recruits for next season or for class of 2008?

I heard the Billikens were still trying to get in touch with Mantas at Three Rivers.

I'm working on a list for tomorrow's P-D of the local kids Majerus has already contacted.

- Nate

the amazing thing about the Mark Twain comments was that RM did not really know me from Adam, and ironically Twain is one of my main areas of interest. One other thing: when someone asked any question, he looks the person dead in the eye the whole time he answers. He sure looked me in the eye the whole time he was responding!

He really comes across as a well-read guy with a very curious mind. He said he wanted a chaplain on the bench, for example, but warned that it did not mean that they would be praying for victory. In support of this view, he cited Twain's piece, "The War Prayer," which is about how wehn we pray for victory in a war (Spanish-American War, at that time); we are basically praying for soldiers and civilians on the other side to get blown up, shot up, etc., etc.

If anyone is interested, he then mentioned Twain's "The 5 boons," CONNECTICUT YANKEE, and even 44 THE MYSTERIOUS STRANGER, a little known text not published in Twain's lifetime, as illustrating how one's metaphysical views change with old age. This revealed to me a person with more than a passing interest in Mark Twain.

Ironically I have just finished teaching MYSTERIOUS STRANGER last week.

That comment was made in regard to the music played at most NBA games. They dont have real bands, just DJ's. He elaborated from that to comment about the SLU community fan base and how people really care about the team. These things say alot about how real Majerus is about this job.

Below is the full quote from the Sporting News article. Biondi used a good portion of it, but left out some parts, such as specific examples of Utah players.

"I like practice, I love teaching, I love to see a kid get a degree and an education. I enjoy the college campus. I love the theater in our campus. I like the campus life. There's a travel club on our campus, and I'll go to those lectures. In an NBA player's life, how can you make a difference? I mean, you might be able to make a little bit of a difference, but I think I've impacted all my players more than any pro coach they've ever played for -- both from a basketball standpoint, but more importantly, from a lifestyle standpoint. (Keith) Van Horn just asked me to be the godfather for his baby. It was fun to sit through Andre (Miller's) graduation, to see his mom smile. It was fun to see Hanno (Mottola) come from Europe and realize his dream. It was fun to see Drew Hansen get in Stanford Law School. The other night, one of my players had a really bad family problem and I really did enjoy offering a perspective on it and seeing if I could help him out. A lot of people that are very wealthy throw money at their problems, but it's fun to help them work through it. I love the fans and the college students. I like the alumni association deal. I like the rah-rah and all that. I like the band rather than that fabricated music. I like the fact that we have students that are cheerleaders that really care, as opposed to a dancing girl team of hired mercenaries."

Biondi also left out the last remark about the professional dancing teams in the NBA being hired mercenaries.

He also responded to questions about his health with the fact that he swims up to a mile, mile and a half on good days. Spent some time in the pool at the MAC. Sounds good to me. Oh, and he jokingly mentioned sumo wrestling Biondi. That would be a sight.

there is really a lot of good buzz on campus about all of this. that is the first time in 10 years that I would say that about SLU basketball.

actually I was so moved by RM's fond memories of some Jesuit teachers he had at Marquette that i have just written a note to one of my old Jesuit teachers that I had at Brebeuf Prep in Indianapolis!!

He also mentioned twice that his father never graduated from high school, fought at Iwo Jima, and made toilets for a living. This is real solid American Dream stuff here! And along those lines, he singled out good ol' Joe Wiley as representing what is best about SLU athletics.