The great JJ mystery of 2003-04

slu72

At Charlotte watching the shoot around, I paid attention to JJ in the warmups. Now warmups don't provide much except to give some indication of someone's athletic ability. JJ appeared to me to have good handles for a big man, a good looking shot, he can jump, and decent strength. In the GT and AZ games he looked adequate, sometimes making a move or a basket that demonstrates he is a ball player. He was a touted player in Indiana, recruited by a big 12 school, yet he sits. And he sits despite he could fill a glaring need on this team. Isn't there anyone out there who is close enough to the team to know why UB is not giving him playing time? I have to think he's got to be discouraged when RV gets the call, and in the back of his mind, he knows he's the more talented athlete. To me this is the biggest mystery of all this year. Is it really that his practices are that bad? Is it an attitude thing? Or is it a personality clash? Is UB trying to get across some message to him? You would have thought that after him practicing with the team last year if there was a problem with his practice habits this would have been addressed a long time ago. If not corrected, you would have thought UB and he would have had a sit down...like, "JJ you aren't giving me what I'm looking for, if you don't start soon, you might want to think about transferring to a different school." When you witnessed what Charlotte did to us inside when TF and IO were out, the situation screamed JJ and still he sat. Somebody out there must know something about this deal.

while i thought he put out an extremely good effort in the minutes he got vs east carolina, i thought he looked confused and frantic as well. defense is effort and reaction. and if he has to think even for a split second what he has to do defensively, that step advantage he has on varner or sloan or frericks is basically gone. now that may only happen on one or two plays, but that one or two plays considering the style of play that coach brad has chosen to play could very well be a difference maker. until he shows supreme confidence and tip top effort, it is my guess he continues to sit.

Brad is a system coach. He wants his players on the floor to be an extension of hin. He doesn't base playing time on athleticism or talent; he bases it on what players can do the things Brad wants and expects most often. Anthony Drejaj played as a freshman because he became that kind of player right away. Ross Varner plays as a senior because he is that kind of player. Right now, Clarke and JJ do not play because they have not mastered Brad's system and have not become an extension of Brad the court. Neither reacts instinctively within the system; you can almost see them thinking about what they are supposed to do next when they are on the floor. Fortunately, they (along with Ian) are freshmen who have a lot of time to learn the system and develop the necessary instincts.

I agree with both David and Roy. I can't wait until the day comes when we won't even have to think about will a freshman get any minutes. I am not even dissapointed in JJ not playing ... I'll have some expectations for him next year and then to be a solid starter by his Jr. year.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

A couple of more thoughts regarding JJ. Regarding practice habits and learning the system, he did not have a full year of practice last year. For a large part of the year, he had a fractured wrist or was in the process of recovering from the fracture so he did not take part in the practices, learn the system and learn to understand the importance of developing intense practice habits.

Starting this year, I am not sure he fully embraced the coaches committment to practice and the importance of practice. As with everything most people do, those are learned habits and if you did not have them before, it takes a while to learn, understand and embrace them for yourself.

You are 100% right and add to that that he is still a freshman by eligibility standards. I watched him in early season practices and he did not seem to be putting out the needed effort and he did not understand the system. I have not gone to practice since but I get the sense that he is improving but still green as grass. He did look a little lost against EC and those inside players for Charlotte were strong and very clever. JJ's big weakness is defensive rebounding in traffic and those guys would have eaten him alive. In fact Varner held his own while he was in there. JJ will get his chance, probably next year. But if you look at our roster and our new recruits he must see a fantastic opportunity in the future. Let's hope he continues to get stronger and more confident.