Good news

Source says Majerus is in town, and there will be a press conference scheduled (possibly the one refered to at 1pm tomorrow). I can't confirm time yet, but I was told that all SLU execs were told to be on/stay on campus tomorrow. If this is true, that's golden. To me, that seems pretty solid.

Here's hoping.

You are correct there will be a press conference tomorrow, I will not say what time, b/c as an insider to the athletic department I was told not to tell such information, there will be one tomorrow and all of you will be really excited about who we are hiring, he is passionate about the game. The only hint I can give you guys, is that you have all heard of HIM!! Think hard, about it.

The post by "Newberry" in this thread sounds like it isn't RM: unless it is an equal or better force majeure this is going to be a very unhappy board.

And all the SLU athletes at their 2nd annual dance (started by CL: RM would be great for BB, losing her would not be good for SLU sports overall)were so happy tonight.

Kind of interesting that Jesus would come up even in jest when talking about the new coach. I mean after all, most have read all of the articles and history on RM including todays Post-Dispatch and are willing to sell SLU's and their own soul to sign RM.

The first half of today's article tells what we all want, RM will bring attention to SLU, he knows how to win, he will build a program at SLU, etc.

When I read the 2nd half of the article I realize that if these things were happening at SLU under any coach, he would be terminated. Yet many of you seem to be so desperate to win that you will overlook all of the potential problems and say hire him.

In 5 years if 14% of the players are graduating, and an average of 2 per year have left the program, there is an NCAA investigation, he has no time for the public, there is constant fricton with the administration but we make the Tournament 3 times it seems many will do what I remarked above, "sell SLU's soul, ignore the sins anything to get some wins."

Read it again!

On the other hand

Majerus' health is a major concern. At 59, he has had seven heart bypasses and a medley of other problems. Three times he has left a team in midseason because of his health. After the bypasses his first season at Utah, he coached one game there before taking the rest of the season off, first for knee surgery, then to have stents placed in two coronary arteries and then so he could be with his mother, who was battling breast cancer.

In 2004, he left Utah for good because of what he feared was more heart trouble but turned out to be diverticulitis, an intestinal ailment. In December 2004, he took the job at USC but gave it up a few days later, saying he had no specific health problem but wasn't fit enough to give the job his all. Some speculated that his health was fine and he may have quit after realizing how daunting the task at USC would be.

Majerus wouldn't come cheap. He had a five-year, $5 million contract at USC and would probably command that much, if not more, from SLU. That would make him the highest-paid coach in the Atlantic 10.

The graduation rates for Majerus' Utah teams were not exemplary. For students entering as freshmen in 1992-93, only 14 percent had earned a degree by 1999. (SLU's number for the same period was 27 percent.) Going forward from there, the numbers were 22, 20, 25 and 36 percent.

And then there's Majerus' personality. More than 30 players left the program during his time as coach. Majerus is no stranger to off-color language and can be a harsh critic. Future NBA No. 1 draft choice Andrew Bogut was prepared to leave after his freshman season until Majerus left.

"He was a tough guy to play for," Bogut told the Milwaukee Bucks website. "He knows the game very well, but the way he brings it across is pretty hard to swallow sometimes. He is brutal."

Said Romar: "He's very demanding. He has a certain way he wants things done, and he will not allow any compromise or slippage."

Majerus' final seasons at Utah weren't as successful as his earlier ones. He didn't recruit as well, and players like Bogut and Marc Jackson were leaving early. In 2003, Utah was put on three years of probation by the NCAA for rules violations. The violations were minor — in one, Majerus bought breakfast for a player after the player's father died — but it spoke to what the NCAA termed the school's lack of departmental oversight of Majerus. The school's athletics director had his salary frozen for a year, and Majerus' salary would have been frozen for two years had he continued to coach at Utah.

if slu had a history of allowing the academic side to falter and of walking in the gray area of ncaa guidelines i would be concerned. the fact that is far from history leads me to believe that slu will insist that end of the bargain continue.

if it doesnt happen and all at once we arent graduating kids and there is inklings of guideline problems, by all means, fire him.

it is my guess that frank c covered this happening from the majerus side. timmermann likely didnt have that insight and was being stonewalled by slu.