Getting the feeling and the credit goes to

brianstl

This is all done, but the presser. That is barring one of Majerus's frequent changes of heart.

Got to give Chaifetz a ton of credit on this. I am hearing the whole Majerus thing was all him. He became convinced it could be done by Dick Verscase(sp). Dick has been helping him explore the purchase of an NBA team. No matter what ANYONE says, this move was all him. All the denials are to protect him if it should all back fire.

Even if it doesn't work out with Rick, I am convinced a legit coach will be hired soon. This whole process, no matter how bad it started out, has made SLU now a player.

>Even if it doesn't work out with Rick, I am convinced a

>legit coach will be hired soon. This whole process, no

>matter how bad it started out, has made SLU now a player.

I confess to not understanding this whole process at all.

I can definitely understand wanting to hire a proven winner coach at the expense of Brad (who I reallly liked and like).

But why did the administration decide to really "budget up," if that's the proper term, after they fired the last guy. Why wasn't the budget raised two years ago? We're left with comparing apples to oranges if the basketball budget doubles. And i'm not trying to argue that Soderberg is the coaching equivalent of Majerus here. Just wanting to understand why we decided to become a "player" with one fell swoop.

Also, to be critical, I think an obese guy with noted health problems and a weird personal life is at least a potentially questionable hire. If we were going to throw, let's say, $1,000,000/year on a head man, why didn't we go hard after Chris Lowery or Kevin O'Neill? These guys simply don't have a time bomb ticking in their chests.

"Also, to be critical, I think an obese guy with noted health problems and a weird personal life is at least a potentially questionable hire. If we were going to throw, let's say, $1,000,000/year on a head man, why didn't we go hard after Chris Lowery or Kevin O'Neill? These guys simply don't have a time bomb ticking in their chests."

422-147... questionable hire?.. and those comments are inappropriate.

"But why did the administration decide to really "budget up," if that's the proper term, after they fired the last guy."

Because of 422-147

"Just wanting to understand why we decided to become a "player" with one fell swoop."

Dont we play to win the game? Would you rather us prolong our mediocrity?

"These comments strike to the essence of Rick Majerus. If your coach can't walk up a flight of stairs without gasping for air, it's not inappropriate."

Ok, hate on our future coach (fingers crossed, knock on wood, double cross) because he is fat. that is terrible, and you probably "liked and like" brad soderberg because he's classy and a good man; maybe you should try to take after him.

20 bucks that you will be in Majerus's fan club before the season even starts just like the rest of us.

"A lifetime batchelor,"

uhhh, so?

"Majerus lived in a hotel (at least while he was coaching Utah)."

who cares?

"He quit abruptly at Utah when his weight problems led to heart problems."

uhh, what did you want him to do? 'walk if off'?

Do you think the health problems have vanished? Stem cells, perhaps?"

no

not necessarily... but Majerus has been waiting for a job like this. he wants to be at a school like SLU in comparison to a big school like USC.... and this could prove to be easier on his heart/overall health problems in comparing stress levels of each job. Majerus probably knows that his reputation will take a huge hit if he commits to slu and then runs out like he did at USC... unless he is seriously sick or something.

LOL, knowitall. Tar me with the "hate" speech moniker, whatever. I'm asking legitmate questions, not disputing his coaching ability. He is a huge question mark as a head coach at this time and it all has to do with his physical "issues", to use a therapeutic term.

"He is a huge question mark as a head coach at this time and it all has to do with his physical "issues", to use a therapeutic term."

i think majerus knows himself better than anyone. he has a cush job at espn, so i do not think he will take the SLU job if he feels he is not up to it, or not healthy enough for another coaching stint.

>A lifetime batchelor, Majerus lived in a hotel (at least

>while he was coaching Utah). He quit abruptly at Utah when

>his weight problems led to heart problems. Do you think the

>health problems have vanished? Stem cells, perhaps?

What is exactly "weird" about any of the above? That he's a lifelong bachelor...is that weird? Thathe lived in a hotel? Is that weird? That he left a job because of health reasons, is that weird? Who the bleep are you to say what is or isn't weird in someone's personal life? Do people like you actually think any of the above is weird? What is wrong with any of of those things? And who exactly cares what he does in his personal life as long as it is legal? It's his personal life, as in none of your business.

I suppose Tony LaRussa and all the other Cardinals who live in hotels in St. Louis instead of houses are weird? I suppose Rick Pitino is weird for up and leaving his job the same week as Majerus because of health reasons? I suppose it is weird to have health problems? I suppose it is weird to be a lifelong bachelor?

People's personal lives are their personal lives. And BTW....when invading people's personal lives and calling them weird ...at least try to be accurate....Rick is divorced.

I think it is legit to bring up Majerus's health issues. He's obese, had several heart surgeries and has diabetes. Everyday he gets out of bed is a major health risk. Aside from dropping dead from a heart attack, he could lose a limb from the diabetes if he doesn't keep it under control (with his weight issues, he's probably not).

I'm 100% behind hiring him (upgrading the season tickets if he is) but I realize that with his health, he is a time bomb unless he gets/has his health together.

what you all are missing is the fact that if majerus comes he will immediately raise the accepted and normal standards and practices for slu athletics.

he will expand budgets, staffs, and media perception. immediately recruits will view us differently. somewhere there is a kid in the bronx that will say, "hey that guy is on espn!"

an assistant somewhere or a low major head coach wont bring any of that.

so crudely, even if rick majerus drops over dead in the next two years it will have served a tremendous service to our basketball team that wont come any other way that quickly.