Why did the thread on Majerus violations

get locked?

They couldn't have been that minor in the NCAA's eyes. They lost a scholarsip for 3 years, plus had his and the AD's salaries frozen. There were many violations.

You didn't answer my question. Do you really believe that he thought the things he did were not violations. If so we can at least agree he's not as smart as he gets credit for.

I agree you usually try to be objective. Could it be possible due to the fact you know RM and have personal feelings about him, that even though your intentions are to be objective, you are not.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

" The violations were relatively minor and did not warrant more serious penalties, said Tom Yeager, Infractions Committee Chair of NCAA.

"These were not five-course steak meals at the finest restaurant in town,'' Yeager said.

University President Bernie Machen said at a news conference that the school accepts its punishment.

The NCAA accepted the university's self-imposed sanctions, including cutting one men's basketball scholarship for the 2004-05 and 2005-06 seasons, and added one scholarship penalty for 2006-07

.........................The NCAA accepted Utah's self-imposed measures and added one scholarship for one season. The rules changed at that time on meals. The new rule permitted coaches to contune to host players for meals and to take them out for meals.

I like Brad's character a lot and have said so every time, and continue to say it on this board and elsewhere.(and believe me I get asked daily about his character) If Majerus doesn't succeed at SLU after 5 years plus, or has major violations or problems within that time, then I will re-visit him as SLU's coach, just like I would anybody else. I don't question his ethics, and don't in light of being a job candidate for SLU. I am sure he wil get asked many questions about his time at Utah and would hope questions would be asked on the subject. I do not believe his ethics or character are in doubt as a candidate for the job. I am friendly with Brad too, didn't cloud any thoughts I had about his struggles at times with the direction of the program after giving him 5 years as head coach and 1 as assistant of not saying a peep about it. If Majerus struggles on or off the court, he would be like anybody else to me. He would be given the benefit of the doubt to run a clean program and win....and I will give him a similar amount of time as Brad to make progress etc......which might be unfair to Brad because he didn't have the facilities or possibly the funding. But Majerus should be credited in that dept....his power and success so to speak is the reason for any increased support and funds etc...Brad didn't wield that power unfortunately and didn't convince others to do something about it. He is certainly going to get a fair shake from me. I believe I gave Brad one too.

We've talked about this before...you and I regarding Danny as well. You look at pro's and cons...past success, curent success and program direction, and of course ethics, and evaluate.

Majerus had 170 times at Utah where kids on his teams had a 3.0 or better. Several Academic All Americans, Rhodes Scholar etc...

No one is above the rules, and we will have to adhere to the rules more closely and/or have someone else help him with it too. I would not expect or be happy with a repeat occurrence. The only reason anything at all happened at Utah is because of a vendetta of an ex ski coach to the school,(nothing to do with Majerus) and they turned every stone they could to try to scrape up those few things.

thanks. It wasn't that long and the last 5 or 6 posts were made by courtside and me. None of them were regarding RM's eating habits or name dropping. The thread is about the fact thet RM personally committed enough violations to cause his team to

1. be put on probation for 3 years

2. lose a scholarship for 3 consecutive years

3. Have his salary frozen for 2 years

4. Play a role in his AD's salary being frozen for 1 year

It puzzles me that no one seems to care, but we would have been all over this if a coach who was being hired at Mizzou had committed the same infractions that resulted in the same penalties. David, I'm surprised it doesn't bother you.

we have talked about this before. I never said you weren't fair regarding Brad.

We just disagree on this one.

> we have talked about this before. I never said you weren't

>fair regarding Brad.

>

> We just disagree on this one.

>

>

> Official Billikens.com sponsor of H

>Waldman

>

>Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would

>have helped club.

I know you didn't say that. I believe I am being fair in this instance too. I believe he deserves a shot at the job. He will need to have strong assistants to help him in recruiting and also different assistants in case God forbid his health became an issue again. I am not concerned with his ethics. He will need to follow the rules and monitor and keep track and document and have people help with that. His "violations" were because of his character and vague gray areas of rules.....and had Utah not approached the NCAA, the NCAA would not have approached Utah.

Normally my mortal enemy, but I agree with the dude on this issue. Believe me I know that you can't slightly break the rules but there are differences in degrees. The degree of infractions in these instances are very minor. The NCAA rules are extremely confusing and often contradictory. Therefore, I would be willing to venture that an extensive investigation at any Athletic Department could uncover minor infractions. Did a coach forget to log a phone call to a recruit because someone walked into his office then he went to the bathroom and he never logged it? Probably. That is breaking the rules but not very bad. These infractions don't bother me. They aren't chronic or serious in nature and should not be a problem in the future.

those types of violations do not get you the punishment that Utah got. The violations were many and involved different areas.

I'll just say It will be pretty hypocritical when members of this board talk about other schools who have violations.

>publishing something or the school approaching the NCAA.

>They don't just randomly pick something.

As I said twice before...third time now, Utah approached the NCAA after conducting its own investigation. Utah began its own investigation because of a disgruntled ex-employee had a vendetta against the school. That former ski team coach was fired with cause and wanted revenge. Utah volunteered its investigation into all of its Athletics, and the minor violations/probation was combined football and basketball, not just basketball. Yeagley, infractions committee chair investigated and considered basketball infractions to be "minor" and accepted Utah's self imposed minor reparations.

while i am not happy about his past violations, i begrudgingly will accept them, hope he has learned his lesson and move on. the biggest difference between majerus and say pretty q was when and how the transgressions happened. $nyder was more about recruiting and getting ahead. it appears majerus was trying to be kind to his existing team. snyder was befriending a worthless excuse of a student athlete in clemons, majerus befriends keith van horne who from all indications is close to sainthood in utah.

that isnt a good excuse for committing the violations. and majerus and utah paid dearly for a couple of team cookouts and a pizza for a mourning keith van horne, however, it indeed wasnt right and if majerus gets caught with his hand in the cookie jar again, i would hope it would be treated with immediate dismissal. no rope whatsoever. knowing biondi's previous staunch stance on cleanliness of a program, i would be shocked if there would be any head turning going forward.