What's with the name?

Quickdraw

I've checked, and the school is still The University of North Carolina at Charlotte. For the first several years in Conf. USA, everyone referred to them as NC-Charlotte. Now everyone is too lazy to use the actual name of the school. The school's own athletic web page simply calls them the Charlotte 49ers. This bothers me. Brandon Morris does not play for Green Bay--it's Wisconsin/Green Bay. If people did this when referring to UMSL, their team would be St. Louis. We wouldn't want that, would we? Most importantly, if this trend were to catch on, we would no longer have SPUMAC--it would just be SPC. SPC just has a corporate sound to it, not the oh-so-appropriate disgusting sound we've grown to love.

I believe the university simply wants to be referred to as Charlotte. Its kinda like Southwest Missouri State wanting to be referred to as SMS. It may not be an official name change, but i bet it will be official at some point.

Are there any other unis in charlotte? Without the Hornets in town there is no charlotte bball team. It also differetiates them from North Carloina and the plethora of directional and A&T, A&M school names in NC.

And if the Panthers upset the Patriots on Sunday, will they want to be called "We are Super Bowl Champs! Don't confuse us with those other 49ers!"

By the way I pulled out my Sept 1 SI and who is on the cover of the NFL 2003 Preview issue? Kurt Warner who said "This is the best my arm has felt in years, and I can't wait to show everyone that the Rams are back." Back then Dr. Z picked Buccaneers 27, Chiefs 20 in SB XXXVIII

Isn't hindsight always 20/20?

exactly. This is not a new thing. For example, the offical name of Wisconsin is "University of Wisconsin-Madison" but they go by "Wisconsin" for sports marketing purposes - same with Mizzou. Cal-Berkley goes by "California" or "Cal" and even smaller schools do it for marketing and identity purposes, like Fresno State (offical name Cal State-Frenso) and even University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee now wants to be known as "Milwaukee."

I beg to differ-- I think it is somewhat new. You say Wisconsin-Milwaukee "now" wants to be called "Milwaukee." I am sure you mean just that. You probably didn't hear them rejecting the full name ten years ago. I wouldn't have a problem with them using that name; but if that's what they want people to call them, change the name of the school to "Milwaukee University."

As far as State Universities with multiple campuses, the habit has always been to refer to the main campus of the State U. by the state name, as is the case in Wisconsin, Missouri, etc. Going back to our example of NC Charlotte, people have felt free to quickly refer to the main campus in the state as "North Carolina," not "North Carolina at Chapel Hill," although that is its full name; and they certainly don't call the school "Chapel Hill."

Going to your California example, it would seem pretty ridiculous to stop calling the LA campus UCLA and simply refer to it as LA.

Changing the name of the school can be done if it suits your purpose. The University of Illinois had a campus in Chicago, for years named officially The University of Illinois-Chicago Circle. They decided when they merged it with the State U's Medical school to change the name of the school to University of Illinois-Chicago.

I'm not trying to claim that use of a shortened form is a crime in casual speech. If Central Missouri State plays a football game against the University of Missouri-Rolla, fans probably mention their upcoming opponent as "Rolla." But I don't think they should print tickets for the game which state the name of the school as "Rolla."