Blue Crew Banquet Summary & Thank You

Last night the Blue Crew had our year-end banquet with the men's team and the coaching staff at Humphrey's. We named the new President of Blue Crew for the 2007-2008 season (Becca Meyer, who will be a senior next year...be good to her :) ), and yes I did cry (I am a girl, what can you do).

We also gave out a bunch of awards to Crewers and players, so here is the list of player awards that we gave out (I thought you guys might get a kick out some of them):

DWAYNE POLK - "King of Billiken Shorts"

- for all of those Q&A videos during time-outs and his expressed desire to star in a new season of "Flavor of Love" entitled "Polk of Love" (and if he were a superhero he would be mighty mouse).

DANNY BROWN - "The Fly High Award"

- for his miraculous shot at the end of the 1st overtime of our last regular season game vs. Dayton that sent us into double overtime.

WENDELL BENNETT - "The Rudy Award"

- for his senior night game where everyone was chanting his name and going crazy when he finally got his 1st point.

DUSTIN MAGUIRE - "Next Big Thing"

- we expect big things from him next year...as soon as he hits his first 3, he's going to be unstoppable.

JEFF COFFEY - "Favorite Hype Award"

- for his great clip during those videos trying to tell the crowd to get loud...we always looked forward to him doing his Cha Cha Slide "Everybody clap your hands..."

MIKE JONES - "The Energizer Bunny Award"

- for the game at Xavier where we lost by 20 points...Coach sent in the walk-ons and freshmen and Mike was running up and down the court with the energy like it was a tie game.

IAN VOUYOUKAS - "The Benchmark Award"

- for setting the standard for all those to follow.

KEVIN LISCH - "The Timex Award"

- "He takes a licking and keeps on ticking."

JUSTIN JOHNSON - "The Sportscenter Award"

- for his dunk against UNC right before halftime that made Sportscenter for one night only.

TOMMIE LIDDELL - "The Matrix Award"

- He breaks all natural laws of physics, bending space and time around him. he is "THE ONE".

LUKE MEYER - "The Chuck Norris Award"

- because he was a bad-##### this year. This award featured a list of Chuck Norris jokes with his name cleverly-replaced with Luke's. Some of my favorites:

* Luke Meyer frequently donates blood to the Red Cross. Just never his own.

* Luke Meyer counted to infinity. Twice.

* If you have $5 and Luke Meyer has $5, Luke Meyer has more money than you.

* They once made a Luke Meyer toilet paper, but it wouldn’t take ##### from anybody.

* Luke Meyer’s tears cure cancer. Too bad he’s never cried.

ADAM KNOLLMEYER - "The Country Dunkin' Award"

- for being the unexpected 2006 Billiken Madness Dunk Contest Champion

BRYCE HUSAK - "'Was He on the Scouting Report' Moment of the Year"

- The award stated: "Bryce Hu-â€Shocked†the UMass Minutemen during the second round game of the Atlantic-10 Tournament. He logged 21 minutes, scored 10 points, collected 6 rebounds, had 1 block, and 1 steal en route to a thrilling three-point Billiken victory in overtime."

AND TO THE MEMBERS OF BILLIKENS.COM--

I know that it's not quite the end of the year (My Presidency is up on May 1st), but I wanted to take a minute to be sentimental and sincerely thank everyone on Billikens.com for all of your help and support of the Blue Crew and of me these past 2 years. If it hadn't been for you, there is absolutely no way Billiken Madness would have ever happened. 90% of the signs/cheers/ideas Blue Crew implemented these past two years came from this board. I have learned everything I know about Billiken Basketball from Billikens.com and I like to think you have taught me well. I talk about the people on Billikens.com as friends because you have become that (even when Metz bad-mouths my coach haha). I've learned so much about myself these past two years and you guys have helped me mature as a Billiken Basketball fan, a leader, and a person more than you'd think an online community could.

There have always been people that bad-mouthed Blue Crew or me personally over the years that really had me doubting myself and what I was doing. Whenever that happened, I jumped on this board, read posts, and got that motivation and reassurance that I was going in the right direction. I know it sounds cheesy (but again, I am a girl...bear with me), but it was you guys that set the bar that I tried to reach as the leader of the student section; it is because of you and your vocalization of what being a Billiken is all about that motivated me to show others that being a Billiken is a priviledge.

I came to SLU as a freshmen extremely shy and hating basketball with a passion. If you would have told me then that now I would have all of THIS behind me now, I would have thought you were insane. I have been honored to be the Blue Crew President these past two years and I hope I have lived up to your standards. Thank you again...and GO BILLS!!

>does your retirement mean becca gets your bills.com moniker

>of bluecrewprez, or does she get to come up with her own?

>maybe she already posts

I know she doesn't already post, but I advised her to do it. I need to talk to Steve and see if I can change my name (maybe add "ex-" to the front of it or something) coz I definitely don't wanna lose all those points I got haha...but if I can't, I think I'll pass on the moniker to her and come up with a new one.

>did you get hired by the U yet??

I'm working on it...you guys will be the first to know if I convince the VP of Student Development and the Provost to create that "Internal Marketing" job for me (to promote athletics to students on campus). :)

i wish there had been a diane at slu in my day (78-82). if for no other reason than there would have been someone else to sit by under the basket. there were about 6 of us. of course there werent but about 100 more folks in the whole arena. those that b!tch about today's attendance really need to have seen the ekker days.

anyone that makes fun of the bluecrew is just not in the typical college student frame of mind. and any student that thinks they are too cool to be an active blue crewer will look back in the future and wish they had partook (is that a word?) in the insanity.

diane and e-man are now officially legends.

Thank us? Thank you! Best of luck in whatever you choose to do after graduation and keep working to win over converts to Billiken Nation. I've found that there's something about the Billikens that sucks you in - in addition to my wife, I've turned a few of my friends (who didn't go to SLU) into Billiken fans, and we need all we can get.

Does the new prez get your Viking horns?

>Does the new prez get your Viking horns?

I was thinking about that and planning on it, but then I talked to a few older, wiser individuals who thought that I should hold on to them so 20 years down the road I can whip them out (or mount them on my wall like deer horns) and reminise (I can't spell)...but then again, it would also be cool to come to games 20 years from now and have the President still wearing them....it's a tough call.

>i wish there had been a diane at slu in my day (78-82). if

>for no other reason than there would have been someone else

>to sit by under the basket. there were about 6 of us. of

>course there werent but about 100 more folks in the whole

>arena. those that b!tch about today's attendance really

>need to have seen the ekker days.

>

>anyone that makes fun of the bluecrew is just not in the

>typical college student frame of mind. and any student that

>thinks they are too cool to be an active blue crewer will

>look back in the future and wish they had partook (is that a

>word?) in the insanity.

>

>diane and e-man are now officially legends.

Is 25 years long enough to talk about attendance? That comment sounds like one of the blue hair commenst, or general when I was a kid we couldn't afford shoes sort of thing. 25 years has past since you were a student Roy. How many more years need to pass for people to discuss anything in relation to attendance and the recent past or future?

partaken is the word you were searching for in your last sentence.

i am so honored for your sage advice.

way to hijack diane's thread. you should be so proud. it's all about you.