A funny article about a school that has similarities to

brianstl

oh i understand that. my point saying it was depressing is that he is inferring that those are the steps holy cross needs to make to be competitive. it illustrates what college athletics has become and the distancing of a real student athlete atmoshere for big time athletics instead.

>oh i understand that. my point saying it was depressing is

>that he is inferring that those are the steps holy cross

>needs to make to be competitive. it illustrates what

>college athletics has become and the distancing of a real

>student athlete atmoshere for big time athletics instead.

It's Bill Simmons. He doesn't even follow college basketball. This is like Metz posting here(only in knowledge of college athletics)...just more calm and entertaining to some. Some aren't fans. He's a big NFL and NBA guy, all things Boston. And he usually doesn't leave his apt to go anywhere.

I didn't thank you earlier for your read on UK, thank you. Do you think Donovan will take it? I am getting the feeling that he will. That or he has really figured out how to master the game of making everybody think you are leaving to get the biggest raise possible. If he does go who do you see going to U of F? I think that it is a job that Crean would really be intrested in.

...he just doesn't follow college sports.(the topic of this thread) He is what he is....he's well educated at HC and BU....and saw the value of timing and the internet, and being located in a good market and has capitalized on his niche. It's actually impressive, and it has led him to the L.A. life of writing gigs. Good for him.

I can enjoy and chuckle at writing pieces of his...I do prefer his pieces not on athletics of any kind because I can relate to some of the references, whether I agree or not, still interesting etc...when he writes on sports I am not as interested in what he has to say. Doesn't mean I don't like him. I read his stuff sometimes and enjoy his work.

I was just pointing out that he isn't a beat writer or a sports columnist. Sometimes his entertainment pieces are hits and sometimes they are misses, which actually is better than many out there.

>oh i understand that. my point saying it was depressing is

>that he is inferring that those are the steps holy cross

>needs to make to be competitive. it illustrates what

>college athletics has become and the distancing of a real

>student athlete atmoshere for big time athletics instead.

Uh, I'm not sure that you do get it if you still think he was being serious.

>I didn't thank you earlier for your read on UK, thank you.

>Do you think Donovan will take it? I am getting the feeling

>that he will. That or he has really figured out how to

>master the game of making everybody think you are leaving to

>get the biggest raise possible. If he does go who do you see

>going to U of F? I think that it is a job that Crean would

>really be intrested in.

UK's obvious first choice is Donovan...so until Final Four is over, not much will happen. Donovan is a tough call. If he doesn't go there, ...other options in play for UK...I have heard that it won't be Crean, though Bob Ryan, Andy Katz and Seth Davis say Crean will get the job if Donovan does not take it. Crean has a lot of friendships and relationships out there, even coached at WKU in the past. I am not a big fan of creating a story or rumor, something these guys do to make money for their respective employers and themselves, and if they get something wrong, page is turned and nobody cares. Katz had Crean as a lock for Illinois, Ohio St. and elsewhere. Kentucky is one of the 5 or so jobs out there of which Crean would have interest. Who wouldn't? If something changed that I do not know about and he was offered and took it, I think he would do fine there, and I think Marquette obviously with the league, tv, facilities, salary etc...would do fine with their next choice.

If Donovan left, ...Florida is still a good job...I do not know what they would do...but they would get a lot of interest, Grant coached there a long time, Marshall....etc...or they could go a more high major established route.

Is that your measure of success? Dancing say seven out of ten years? That's like batting .700 in the major leagues, to compare to another sport. Breaking par 70% of the time? Sure, not a real biggie for Tiger or Phil but to me, that's the creme de la creme of the NCAA elite, not us. You are asking a program to go from an 18 to 19 percent rate of return to 70%? That's a tall order. And there is no guarantee. The closest thing that might qualify for us would then be to join the Horizon League ..... Butler, Wright State, Detroit? Is that the road to advocate?

In counter, I would like to see a program that wins much more than it loses, that makes its home games events and must-see-TV for the enrolled crowd, playing a quality schedule, getting on TV at least once a month, and so on. One that is sitting on the edge come Selection Sunday with something to look for rather than not. I do not believe this program will EVER produce a 70% succes rate. No way.

As much as I'd love it to, I am not prepared to establish the expectations at that kind of level. Nothing but disappointment will be achieved. Four NCAA bids in the last 33 years (actually longer) is more like a 13% return. The NIT return was like what sevenor eight trips in the last 33 years meaning at best a 25% rate of return. Now oyu want what sounds like 70% for the Dance and I'm guessing 100% on the NIT consdieration?

That's pretty steep '72. Pretty dang steep.