SIU; MEMPHIS

D1 hoops - the greatest show on earth.

SIU - better coaching, more heart, less talent. Tatum would have looked good in a SLU uniform. He's a special player.

Memphis - Calipari finally recruited enough talent to hide his coaching deficiencies...plus a monumental shot clock break.

If SIU could've got some calls, things would've been different. the refs just paraded Kansas to foul line. The shot in the 1st half was clearly in Wright's hand when the red light came on and you could hear the buzzer, but they still counted it. It was just wrong and not even close. The refs didn't miss that, they just didnt care.

The refs did screw that shot clock play up....but, to say that they got robbed the rest of the way is just whining.

SIU does so much grabbing that they could be called for 5 fouls per possession. The SIU-Holy Cross game was embarassing for the refs, just an ugly wrestling match.

SIU is so used to getting away with it, especially at home, when the refs enforce the rules it looks like they are getting picked on.

Thats high major basketball. Its physical. Kansas plays the same way against everybody. They try to bully you and get steals and run. Mizzou tries to do the same thing. Its called defense. Its not for the faint of heart. SIU is small, they make up for it with the feistiness. That what an undersized team is supposed to do. Maybe SLU will start playing like that. The calls usually go to the aggressor and a lot of those calls were just flat out bullcrap. Kansas was getting touch fouls while SIU was getting mugged at the other end and they were not called fouls.

take those two points away and falker could have went right back up instead of coming out to find tatum for another three and throwing the ball away.

siu was pretty darn good.

tennessee blowing that game was terrible. live and die by the three pointer is one thing, but why not be a little more patient in the second half. they sure seemed to make it easy for ohio state to get back in.

i thought the end of the texas a&m game was the worst travesty of the night. first off, they let everything go all night and then they call that touch foul to put the guy on the line for the winning free throws? what about all the pushing to even get that shot?

then they take a second off the clock for a deflection out of bounds? give a&m half that back the kid can take another dribble get ten feet closer for the final shot.

vtime it shouldnt matter what level it is. call ALL the fouls. that said, nothing makes me more mad than the entire game of "letting them play" then calling a touch foul in the closing seconds that decide the game. if you arent going to call everything, then at least be consistent for 40 minutes. not 39 minutes and 55 seconds.

It does matter what level, because the definition of a foul is different every night depending on who is officiating. Fouls are subjected. Referees call fouls sometimes and let others go. Often it does depend on what teams are playing and what conference. College and pro basketball are billion dollar businesses. The referees are fully aware of who these coaches and players are.

i totally agree vtime, however that is the problem with basketball from the nba all the way down to 5th grade. the refs should not be selective about when, who or what is a foul. see contact blow the whistle. seems easy to me.

Gumbel said the reason for so much time taken off was because the ball bounced first before going out of bounds. Hello - until the ball is touched by a player the clock does not start! Truth is you can roll the ball all the way down court and and not have anybody touch it and no time comes off the clock. How can that guy be on national TV.

it was just sickening to see a&m lose. that was a real college basketball team. upper classmen leadership, no big name superstars, they were a joy to watch this year. i would have loved to see them advance.

Roy,

Seems like you are in the wrong line of business and should become a ref because none of the current refs are doing a good job in your opinion. You amaze me!! Yes, there were some inconsistent calls last night and throughout the tourney. That's just life man. For the most part, I believe the refs have done an admirable job. You have to remember that they are human just like the rest of us and when things are going full speed, their decision making needs to be instant and not every push, touch, grab, etc., is a foul in their opinion. They only issue I have with refs is to be consistent for an entire game. Calling one half with picky fouls and then not calling anything in the second half is just plain wrong.

SIU plays tough, rugged defense and IMO it is not cheap or illegal. They just got beat by a more athletic and taller KU team last night. This team probably had the best defense of any of the remaining 16 teams IMO. SIU is a quality team and let's give them credit when it is due and stop making silly comments about refs.

legend, i like the way you chastise me in your first couple of sentences then you agree that they arent consistent.

second, better go reread what i said about siu. it doesnt fit your last sentence.

apparently you just like to criticize roy because in truth, your post doesnt really make much sense.

After the ball was touched by the Memphis player the clock started and does not stop until it lands or falls out of bounds. Since the Memphis player touched it and it flew by Calipari, the refs had to make a decision on when the ball would have landed and that's when the clock should have stopped. In the end, it was the right call and you can hear this on all of the news reports today. That was the right call. However, I believe the refs took too long to make that decision and making the kids wait was painful. Yes, another second would have helped A&M but it was the right call.

The foul on the other end, now that was a crime. In addition, Mr. Clutch Law missed a wide open layup that would have provided a cushion for A&M. Tough break for a good kid. Future solid player in the NBA.

The SIU comment was a blanket statement that I made and not geared towards you. Now in regards to the refs, I made a statement saying that for the most part the refs are making good calls and performing well. You just complain about silly things. That is the way this game has always been and you cannot cry about the refs. My point to you is that you cry about things that are near impossible to control. You were probably a kid who complained about everything and cried when things did not go your way. Oh wait, you still do that now.

My entire point to you Roy was that refs are human and simply cannot make all of the calls you or I want. IMO they are doing a good job and yes, I do agree that they make some bad calls sometimes. If you want to change things, get your butt in some pinstipes so I can start yelling at you for your lack of consistency. It's not as easy as you think.

The problem I have with people complaining all the time about refs is what about what happened during the games with the players? What about Acie Law's missed layup? What about Faulkner's lack of free throw shooting? What about Tatum's 1 3-pointer?

You just want to make excuses and complain

it hit the players hand and caroomed directly to the out of bounds line. instantaneous. no way it was 1.1 seconds.

legend said, "IMO they are doing a good job"

today's basketball officiating is horrible. they have changed the way the game is played and thus it affects the way teams are built. it is now more important to recruit kids that should be playing football instead of athletes that are prototypes for what basketball should be.

i complain because the refs shouldnt have a bearing on the game. yet too often today it is a ref's decision that changes or decides a game.

The official said it hit "inside" the line. In other words, the ball did not hit the out-of-bounds line, and was therefore still in play util it struck something out-of-bounds...which occurred about 1 second later.

very unfortunate for A&M.

Roy,

You are by far in the minority on this one. Sorry to break it to you. Roy, what is your million dollar solution my friend? You don't have one.... plain and simple. Yeah, maybe a ref does decide a game here and there... but you have to consider the amount of games being played annually and one game a ref blows....it happens Roy. What are the odds? These guys are humans and until you can get that straight in your head, you will continue to cry like a baby. To make excuses is simply foolish. You never answered my questions about the "other" aspects of the games..... the missed free throws, open layups, etc. No one wants to talk about that because it doesn't make for good conversation with all the people that want to cry and moan about stuff they cannot control. You pick an easy way out - the refs. What about the rest of the 40 minutes? How was the game decided?

End of discussion!!!

Roy,

Again you are saying foolish stuff. Once the ball hit the players hands in bounds, the clock starts... and keeps going until it either lands out of the bounds or the clock hits zero. Well my friend, the ball did not land until it went into the crowd and the refs were stuck with trying to figure out when their wistle blew and when the ball would have most likely landed and the clock stopped. Hence more than two tenths of a second and they had to count on a stopwatch to take off the 1.2 seconds. Do you think there is an imaginary line out of bounds where the clock manager has to stop the clock once it passes the line? No way!!!!

You are being too quick to blame the refs on this one once again Roy.

i most certainly do have a solution. tell the refs to call EVERTYHING.

sure at first it is going to make for some long games, but coachs will eventually adjust and change defenses and change personell used to defend.

i am not alone on this one. in fact i hear ramsey, cusamono, slaten, all of them pleading for this all the time.

from my viewpoint on tv it did indeed immediately hit the sideline. if the blind refs are saying it was inbounds, then according to their poor judgement i agree they made the right call.