Great article about the student section and ticket poli

kappy96

Sorry I had to post the story in it's entirety vs. a link, but the Sports Business Journal requires a log on ID. I'd love to see the Athletic Department having to deal with this passion in the coming years.

In our yearlong series examining the sports experience throughout America, SportsBusiness Journal visits Lawrence, Kan., and Allen Fieldhouse to watch the University of Kansas take on rival Kansas State. Here is what we discovered in the land of the Rock Chalk Jayhawk.

CAMPERS

Students hope for the luck of the draw

Allen Fieldhouse

When the members of Neil’s Atomic Fireballs drew the number 102 in the ticket lottery for the Kansas State game, they thought they were out of luck. Then they found out that the numbers started at 100, and that no one had drawn 100 or 101.

That meant that, unless they screwed up, they would be the first people through the doors for the game.

Students pre-pay for tickets to all Kansas sporting events and swipe student ID cards as they pass through the turnstile. But for high-demand events such as men’s basketball games, groups of up to 30 students each can wait in line for passes that determine who gets to swipe their cards and enter the student section first.

The key is to first draw a low entry number in a lottery held the day after a home game. Then, for each day leading up to the next home game, at least one representative of your group has to be at Allen Fieldhouse from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. to answer roll calls. If your group misses a roll call, you go to the back of the line. And any group in line can call for a roll call at any time. The actual admission passes are handed out on game day.

Groups of students camp out for days so

they won’t miss roll call and prime seating.

The Fireballs’ group keeps a Web site updated so that all members know when it’s their turn to be at the 6 a.m. roll call.

“The 6 a.m. roll call is brutal,†said Maren Ludwig, a second-year law student from Kansas City, Kan., who will take over leadership of the Fireballs next year. “When we got the No. 1 spot, we set up a backup system. I set my alarm for 5:15 and called the guy who was supposed to be here. He took a long time to answer, but he got here.â€

On the afternoon before the Kansas State game, three members of Neil’s Atomic Fireballs were sitting together on the lower concourse of Allen Fieldhouse, and at least 75 other students were spread out down the corridor. Some were sleeping, some were talking, and a few were even surfing the Internet, a luxury that wasn’t available to campers until the athletic department added wireless Internet access this year.

“We put it in so that they could use it to study,†said Jim Marchiony, associate athletic director. “But we know what sites they’re visiting, so we know there’s not a whole lot of studying going on.â€

Odd & ends: Three hours before game time, athletic department staff members call out group names and distribute passes to get into the game. Many of the names on the list included Kansas State coach Bob Huggins’ name, and none were complimentary. (Among the few that are printable were “Huggins Field Sobriety Team†and “Huggins’ Probation Officers.â€)

Students can name their group anything they want, and the names aren’t censored by the staff. “Last week,†said athletic department staff member Brady Gowin, nodding toward a co-worker, “he had to yell out, ‘I have herpes.’ And no one from that group was even here.†… Neil’s Atomic Fireballs are named after a former assistant coach at Kansas, Neil Dougherty. Fireballs member Dustin Bradley, a second-year law student from Coffeyville, Kan., said Dougherty used to give atomic fireball candies to players who didn’t get into a game, so that they could feel the pain of their teammates who did play.

TICKETS

Getting inside: A tale of three tickets

Here’s how ticket holders at three levels got into the Kansas State game:

The students: Of the 16,300 seats in Allen Fieldhouse, about 4,000 go to students. Students buy their tickets, which are for general admission seats, at the beginning of the school year simply by checking an option on one of the many forms they fill out. For $150, they get into every athletic event on campus. The ticket is then included on their student ID, which is read electronically when they go into a game.

“We’re one of the few schools actually using our ticketing system to scan the IDs of students,†said Charlette Blubaugh, assistant athletic director for ticket operations. That helps make sure that the stands are filled with students while at the same time making it more difficult for students to sell their tickets.

“You want the enthusiasm, you want the arena filled, but to do that you have to have the students there,†Blubaugh said. “You’ve got a hard-core number of students that are always going to come. They just love it. But those that were trying to sell their tickets and get one over on us are having trouble with the new system.â€

>You just wasted a bunch of people's time.

>

>THAT WILL NEVER HAPPEN AT SLU.

Lighten up a little will you. Geez, I realize that SLU's program isn't on this level. More wishful thinking than anything.

I just really enjoyed reading about this type of passion from the students and how the administration plays it up.

This time of year just gets me fired up.

I think this COULD happen at SLU. The BLUE CREW took a road trip to Dayton a few weeks ago, and I got a chance to hang out with (and drink under the table, mind you) the President and Vice President of the Flyers' student section, the Red Scare. They actually do something very similar to that which I have thought could be a great idea here for when the arena opens. The difference is that the Red Scare (the STUDENTS) is in charge of figuring out who gets to sit where at the basketball games. Your seat is based on how many other athletic events you have attended (students scan I.D.s at the doors to these games) and each week these students are loaded onto a database and are put into a points system. It is a time-consuming process for the people who have to keep track, but if people really want the good seats at the basketball games, they have to support other athletic events.

The only hitch would be that the BLUE CREW section seating is currently based on seniority...so I don't think many people would be thrilled about waiting all this time to get the front row as seniors just for it to be changed on them.

No.

This time of year gets me fired up to. For all the wrong reasons.

1. No NCAA in Soderberg's tenure

2. No 4 or 5 star recruits or even a 3 star that play like a freaking monster/gorilla down low and bruise people and has the determination and character to lead this team

3. No NCAA tournament trips

4. Embarrassed by George Washington in the A-10 on national television

5. Recruiting woes

6. Recruiting woes

7. Recruiting woes

8. No student support/school spirit

9. Horrendous marketing by the athletic department

10. No one on our staff can recruit

I think this COULD happen at SLU. The BLUE CREW took a road trip to Dayton a few weeks ago, and I got a chance to hang out with (and drink under the table, mind you) the President and Vice President of the Flyers' student section, the Red Scare. They actually do something very similar to that which I have thought could be a great idea here for when the arena opens. The difference is that the Red Scare (the STUDENTS) is in charge of figuring out who gets to sit where at the basketball games. Your seat is based on how many other athletic events you have attended (students scan I.D.s at the doors to these games) and each week these students are loaded onto a database and are put into a points system. It is a time-consuming process for the people who have to keep track, but if people really want the good seats at the basketball games, they have to support other athletic events.

The only hitch would be that the BLUE CREW section seating is currently based on seniority...so I don't think many people would be thrilled about waiting all this time to get the front row as seniors just for it to be changed on them.

Diane,

You know who this is, so I'm not going to bash you or anything, but please be realistic --- SLU won't pay for ID scanners or anything like that. Great idea, but not going to work because they know the tendencies of the student body -- an apathetic bunch who unless there's free beer won't go to any athletic events. It was embarrassing for me as a Blue Crew alum and fervent supporter of Billiken Athletics for that Guy Phillips assclown to announce the Blue Crew as the Sixth Man of Billiken Basketball when there were in fact six people in the Blue Crew. Irony aside, when we get the new arena, there needs to be a meeting of old Blue Crewers, current Blue Crewers, students, the Athletic Director (no marketing people because they are horrible), the Band Director, Alumni people, etc to come up with a new strategy for making the Cheifetz Arena the loudest place to play in college basketball. We need people who aren't afraid of getting arrested in the front row heckling opposing players and coaches. We need to come up with better cheers, clapping sequences, signs, banners, whatever. Blue Crew was disappointing this year, and I know we didn't have much to cheer for, but when that Arena opens up, I want people camping out for tickets, someone pitching the media to get them to cover it, people having to urinate in cans so they can get tickets - I want the Cheifetz Crazies to rival the Cam-ron Crazies at Dooke. Screw all you old people.

The is the first time ive agreed with most of your post. Im a young alumnus and get fed up with the student section all the time. It needs to improve. I like the idea of having meetings with everyones different perspective. If people think that a new arena alone will attract students, you are sadly mistaken.

Your last comment says it all. You who have only a few years history with the school and have done nothing to help build the arena or the program say to those that have done those things-- "Screw all the old people". It is amazing to me how many of our posters here--supposed college graduates--, and I would guess that you are one of those who have posted earlier under another name, act like 13 year olds who are on the playground and they hate all of the older posters. As I have said before, this board is getting to the point of ridiculous! Do you think any major program has been successful by using as its mantra--"screw the old people"?

>Diane,

>You know who this is, so I'm not going to bash you or

>anything, but please be realistic --- SLU won't pay for ID

>scanners or anything like that. Great idea, but not going to

>work because they know the tendencies of the student body --

>an apathetic bunch who unless there's free beer won't go to

>any athletic events.

Actually, the Red Scare at Dayton were the people who raised the money for those scanners (they have 2 costing about $1000 each I think it is)...as I understand it, the Athletic Department doesn't have much to do with this process. If when the Chaifetz opens and it becomes a hot ticket for students to get, and if an agreement can be reached between the BLUE CREW, the ticket office, and the Athletic Department to enact this ticket distribution method, I think it could definitely work.

And what about free beer?? Who says we couldn't do that?? There should be tailgates before games with kegs upon kegs for students. That would DEFINITELY get some people out there.

>>Diane,

>>You know who this is, so I'm not going to bash you or

>>anything, but please be realistic --- SLU won't pay for ID

>>scanners or anything like that. Great idea, but not going to

>>work because they know the tendencies of the student body --

>>an apathetic bunch who unless there's free beer won't go to

>>any athletic events.

>

>

>

>Actually, the Red Scare at Dayton were the people who raised

>the money for those scanners (they have 2 costing about

>$1000 each I think it is)...as I understand it, the Athletic

>Department doesn't have much to do with this process. If

>when the Chaifetz opens and it becomes a hot ticket for

>students to get, and if an agreement can be reached between

>the BLUE CREW, the ticket office, and the Athletic

>Department to enact this ticket distribution method, I think

>it could definitely work.

>

>And what about free beer?? Who says we couldn't do that??

>There should be tailgates before games with kegs upon kegs

>for students. That would DEFINITELY get some people out

>there.

Nevermind that many other schools already do this. Never mind that some schools hold their own fundraisers and some also get the $$ from the athletic dept....

Why have a plan, goals, vision....SLU is just fine the way it is...everything is great. Season was terrific, student turnout dandy, everyone is workin' hard. This truly is the best it will ever get at SLU...and I for one think people should not have new ideas or change anything about the basketball program. Can't you people just see how great you have it? I am still celebrating the season myself. Please do not change anything in regards to any aspect of the program. Besides, it is not possible to be any different or any more successful right now at SLU. Life is good.

I am so pleased to know that you as a local media person can just heap on the sarcasm and by implication criticize everything about Billiken basketball. You obviously have always been great, always been on top and never had to fight through tough times. For you, building something has always been easy, and anyone who has to work hard over a number of years to work toward success is a worthless bum. But you as a person who is perfect and has always succeeded without any tough times, probably cannot identify with anyone who works to build something. In those efforts, everyone is not perfect, including the leaders. Some on the team actually fail, sometimes recruits don't work out, sometimes they do. But the key element of any success for those people is that you keep working hard and try to improve. Unfortunately, Billiken basketball is not as perfect as you are. Very few people or businesses have had your unprecedented and constant success with no need to build anything! You should write a book to show us all how to be perfect and never have to struggle to build anything!

>I am so pleased to know that you as a local media person can

>just heap on the sarcasm and by implication criticize

>everything about Billiken basketball. You obviously have

>always been great, always been on top and never had to fight

>through tough times. For you, building something has always

>been easy, and anyone who has to work hard over a number of

>years to work toward success is a worthless bum. But you as

>a person who is perfect and has always succeeded without any

>tough times, probably cannot identify with anyone who works

>to build something. In those efforts, everyone is not

>perfect, including the leaders. Some on the team actually

>fail, sometimes recruits don't work out, sometimes they do.

>But the key element of any success for those people is that

>you keep working hard and try to improve. Unfortunately,

>Billiken basketball is not as perfect as you are. Very few

>people or businesses have had your unprecedented and

>constant success with no need to build anything! You should

>write a book to show us all how to be perfect and never have

>to struggle to build anything!

Like I said, SLU is doing great, people are working hard, unlike anywhere else in the country, and SLU is doing it the "right" way unlike anywhere else in the country. Please don't change a thing. Coaches should be hired and kept until they die. Then replaced only after they pass on. Billiken basketball is perfect. SLU has done all of this with recruits who sometimes don't pan out because we all know 100% of recruits pan out at other places. Nowhere else in the country have people worked as hard than at SLU. SLU has the toughest situation in the country, yet gets it done year after year. No other program has faced tough times like SLU has and come out on top. As I said, life is good at SLU. Put your feet up and relax a moment, after all of that hard work, because you, and I mean everyone affiliated with SLU deserves it. Building a program takes several decades of hard work, and SLU once again, ....well I am getting emotional with pride, so I will just say please don'tchange a thing.

billikan, we have no idea who or what courtside is. maybe he has had nothing but success. good for him. he sure has been to more places and met more famous people than i expect to ever accomplish in my life, so it wouldnt surprise me that he has had that kind of life. we'll never know so we should just take him at his word and be thankful we have had the opportunity to learn from him. kind of like when bill murray got the chance to talk to the dali lama. we got that going for us.

>Congrats again on your success without a struggle. To have

>never have been disappointed in life by anything you have

>been involved it must be a wonderful thing! Those of us who

>are not perfect are in awe!

There is nothing wrong with making a mistake in life, or many mistakes...but there is something wrong with making the same mistake over and over again without doing something about it.

courtside said,

"There is nothing wrong with making a mistake in life, or many mistakes...but there is something wrong with making the same mistake over and over again without doing something about it."

you mean like hiring a new coach every five years and starting the program over without any upgrades in the rest of the infrastructure of the athletic dept?

>courtside said,

>

>"There is nothing wrong with making a mistake in life, or

>many mistakes...but there is something wrong with making the

>same mistake over and over again without doing something

>about it."

>

>you mean like hiring a new coach every five years and

>starting the program over without any upgrades in the rest

>of the infrastructure of the athletic dept?

In order to agree with you entirely, one would have to agree to the premise that it is not possible to achieve success without the ugrades, or prior to the upgrades. And because success has been achieved elsewhere without said upgrades, or prior to said upgrades, I cannot agree with that premise. Your premise leads one to believe that whomever the coach is at SLU currently doesn't matter, and I don't agree with that notion. The commitment from above is another topic entirely separate from the coach.

AS an old person who ofton felt like he was the only person inthe building screaming his lungs out. I believe we old people could teach the present generation a thing of=r two about supporting the team.

Thanks just couldn't handle that last sentence.

who has sustained top 50 status for at least 5 years coming in cold with no head start (asst at same program promoted few or lowery) that had similar budget, facilities, athletic dept staff, etc.? you have made the statement before and i dont think you have ever given us that example.

and yes i think it doesnt matter whom the coach is, they cannot have sustained success at slu at this time. grawer didnt, spoon didnt, romar didnt and soderberg hasnt. romar alone is enough proof for me.