Harrellson ends Eckerle's career.

VTIME

Drew, almost all would disagree with that statement.

"He has not business getting an offer from SLU." Haha, I forgot we had kids chomping at the bit to play here.

28 points last night. 36 inch vert, number 1 in class, team player, 33 on ACT, 3rd in area scoring. Yeah, he shouldn't even be considered but we waste our times with the likes of horace and Obi. Give me a break.

We are trying to recruit basketball players, so while his ACT score is definitely something he should be proud of, and coaches would obviously prefer their kids be intelligent, it really doesn't have any bearing on us offering him a scholarship to play basketball.

Let me ask you something? What other Division 1 schools does he have offers from? Also, for your consideration, rivals has him ranked as the 41st best player in the state of Missouri. We need 1st team all state players, not 8th team all state.

I don't mean to dog this kid. He is a real nice player and obviously has a bright future in whatever he does, but he should not be a scholarship player at SLU.

Doesn't sound like he will be a scholarship player, but he should be a very nice addition to the team as a walk-on. Who knows, maybe he'll be like John Redden and end up getting some significant minutes.

It's also nice to keep our relationship with Borgia strong if we're going after the Scheer kid.

>Also, for your consideration, rivals has him ranked as the 41st best player in the state of

>Missouri. We need 1st team all state players, not 8th team all state.

Drew,

Where is this rivals ranking you are quoting? I'd like to see it. I looked for it but couldn't find anything.

I guess you could be talking about the mosports.com list, but that thing is just funny.

I like Eckerle's potential. I think SLU should offer him. It wouldn't hurt to bring in a player who could back up at the point guard spot for a couple years and contribute and actually is interested in going to SLU.

But I've heard the Billikens aren't going to offer. I guess we'll see how many Horace Dixons and Obi Ikeakors the team can land this spring.

- Nate

Nate, I have heard that Eckerle is not really interested in an athletic scholarship. He will be receiving an academic scholarship if he goes to SLU. He is more concerned about the academics than the basketball program. I have heard that it is between Drury, SLU and Wash U.

>Have you found their information to be unreliable in the

>past? It is part of the rivals family, is it not?

Drew,

It is part of the Rivals family, but its not the same type of rankings system that Rivals uses.

When Rivals comes out with a set of rankings, say the top 100 or whatever, that list is usually compiled by a group of recruiting experts from different areas who have seen most of the kids who need to be looked at.

The mosports.com rankings are more like the opinions of one or two people.

Consider that No. 30 on that list, Vashon's Alburey Doss, averages 7.7 points and 4.2 rebounds a game. Stats don't always tell the story, but in the games I've seen, some of the biggest games on the team's schedule, the guy hasn't contributed much, if at all.

- Nate

Brian,

I've heard Soderberg isn't going to offer Eckerle a scholarship.

I would guess that if SLU offered Eckerle a basketball scholarship, he would take it.

It means a lot to high school athletes to receive athletic scholarships, even the kids who are smart enough to garner academic scholarships. An athletic scholarship shows a kid that a school wants him and is committed to him — to playing him and to want him as a contributor.

By telling a kid, we'd like to have you walk on but we're not going to offer you a scholarship, you're basically telling that kid you don't think he's good enough to play there.

If you add up the best skills of all of SLU's walk-ons to make one better, you still don't have a player as good as Eckerle. Paul Eckerle is not a walk-on caliber player.

Mike Jones averaged 13.1 points per game as a senior at Trinity. Jeff Coffey averaged 13 points per game as a senior at St. Charles West. They were probably Division 3 prospects coming out of high school.

Paul Eckerle helped Borgia win a state championship last season and averaged 24.7 points per game as a senior this season. He's being recruited by Division I and Division 2 schools to play basketball.

- Nate

I am not trying to say he isn't a D-1 basketball player. I believe he is and that many people have sold this kid short. He has a court savvy that you just can't teach. I think he could easily be better than John Redden.

I was just saying that I heard a basketball scholarship offer didn't make a difference to him. I heard that the top factors in his school choice would be the school's academic programs and location. The school's basketball program figure in well after that.

I agree with you that 99% of high school athletes don't think like that, but this kid seems to be different.

slu wants paul to walk on, but the bottom line is that he wouldn't have to pay a dime to go to school. What does slu cost?

redden helped slu win a conference title and phillip hunt was instrumental in slu winning 19 games and going to the nit when he was a senior.

by the way, matt lawrence entered mizzou as a walk-on.

bad boyz for life