Bryce vs Ian

SLU_Nick

Ok guys, last night, did anyone notice a completely different team out there when Bryce was on the court rather than Ian. Bryce really outplayed Ian last night. Some things that should be noticed

- Bryce gets much better position every time down the floor than Ian. Look every time down the court he muscles his way down (without fouling). Bryce's 2 footer is a higher percentage shot than IV's 8 foot baby hook.

If you look at Ian. They push him and then he thinks it should not be a foul when he blantantly pushes them back. He doesnt continue working like Bryce does, He just starts flopping trying to get a foul called on the other guy. And don't give me any of this "he is double teamed garbage", b/c he isn't double teamed when trying to get position. So the end result is he catches it 8-10 feet from the basket and he cant do anything from that far out.

If UB can get Bryce to catch an interior pass and kick it back out, we will be fine at center next year.

Defensively Bryce is better in every way. This can be seen from the Lasalle shot clock violation where Bryce had 2 clean blocks. When Bryce is in the game, guards cannot hope to penetrate and get lay ups. Bryce is rarely sealed off and it seems like he just clogs the middle perfectly.

Conversely IV gets pushed under the basket, like a soft Euro Big Man and most of his blocks come from his swatting over an opponent who is sealing him off who just got the off rebound. He is not a good rebounder at all for his size and simply does not have the fire we have seen from him b4.

I dont think we will lose much next year with Bryce in instead of IV. We lose offense, but I would rather see effort and toughness out of the billiken big man, than a lethargic Dirk nowitski without the perimeter game.

What does everyone think?

Nick

I like us better with Bryce in there. The overall team energy seems to be so much better, and the defense is better. Lately, the offense has practically been a wash. I would, however, like to see Bryce improve his rebounding. One rebound in 19 minutes needs to improve. He will, of course, get better with more playing time.

I don't mind Bryce being our center if we somehow land a very talented 4. We need to have an inside scoring threat to relieve some pressure on Tommie and Kevin. Bryce is not that player yet, and I have doubts he will ever be that player. If we do get a scorer to play the 4 then Bryce can focus on clogging up the middle, getting putbacks, and grabbing some boards.

On the other hand, if the only difference between next year's team and this year's team is that Bryce replaces Ian, then we will be no better than we are this year. In fact, we could be worse as teams won't place as much emphasis on stopping Bryce that they do on stopping Ian, hence freeing up more defenders to focus on Tommie and Kevin.

Stats show Bryce getting 1 rebound every 5 minutes and Ian 1 every 4, not much difference.

I think it will be interesting to see how BH plays as time goes on if he continues to get some consistant minutes. It had to be tough to sit all of those games and then all of the sudden recieve major minutes. I wonder where he would be at if he would have played 8-10 minutes minimum in all of the games.

AK and Dustin both should have had minutes in a game we were supposed to win by 13 at home; everyone harps on recruiting but even though I think BS is a better coach this year I still see a tendency to bury players so deep on the bench that he forgets how to use them; and this is after they have shown they add to the mix; does BS have a problem in being able to orchestrate a symphony; it seems he can only manage

a quintet

rebounding is a problem in general when TL continues to have exactly the same rebounds for the season as IV and TL although really fun to watch is a pretty laid back guard; he is not a real board banger; so

why is AK buried? TWIN TOWERS and have AK get some of LM minutes we have to go for next year now