08 class

smitty

Can someone please post the top 10-15 STL area players in the 2008 class (maybe in order) and what there status is to date (i.e. whether committed to a school or not). Maybe a good idea to keep a sticky for everyone to keep track. We've already lost 2 in the last week or so and I would like to see who is remaining that is better and on par with Roundtree and Booker. Thanks.

>Can someone please post the top 10-15 STL area players in

>the 2008 class (maybe in order) and what there status is to

>date (i.e. whether committed to a school or not). Maybe a

>good idea to keep a sticky for everyone to keep track. We've

>already lost 2 in the last week or so and I would like to

>see who is remaining that is better and on par with

>Roundtree and Booker. Thanks.

1. Scott Suggs 6'6 G/F

2. John Brandenburg 6'11 C

3. Brett Thompson 6'11 PF

4. Jared Swapshire 6'8 F

5. Jesse Perry 6'8 G/F

6. Roundtree (SIUC)6'3 G

7. Booker (SIUC)6'8 F

8. Kramer Soderberg 5'10 guard

9. Waller (Western Kentucky) 6'3 G

10 Femi John 6'3 G

11 Cornelius Walker 6'2 G

12 Abel Tillman 6'7 PF

13 Kenny Leverette 6'3 G

14 Anthony James 6'1 G

15 Drew Hanlen 5'11 G

On the bubble: Brian McGee 6'7 PF, Kenny Harris 6'4 G, Jordan Loveless 6'5 PF, Josh McCoy 6'3 G, Courtney Belger 6'3 G Cornelius Chatt 6'2 G. Hope I'm not leaving anyone out. Most loaded class in some time.

V, I saw Abel Tillman at the shootout and he can jump out of the gym. I think he tied a Shootout record with 10+ blocked shots. He needs to add strength for sure and he is still raw offensively, but he could turn into a nice player in my opinion.

Sean Rakers of Wesclin is a strong 6-6/6-7 post player.

I believe he has offers for basketball, but he may be a better football prospect.

Drew Hanlen should be up higher on the list, considering he's got three D-1 offers and some of the other guys on this list don't have any yet (that I know of).

- Nate

So which players have offers from SLU? Are there any other players on the list who don't yet have offers but are being recruited by SLU?

Nate and others who have seen these kids, would you agree that Kramer and Femi are ranked below Perry and Roundtree?

>Sean Rakers of Wesclin is a strong 6-6/6-7 post player.

>

>I believe he has offers for basketball, but he may be a

>better football prospect.

>

>Drew Hanlen should be up higher on the list, considering

>he's got three D-1 offers and some of the other guys on this

>list don't have any yet (that I know of).

>

>- Nate

I didnt put Hanlen high because he's 5'10 or 5'11 and I thought there were bigger prospects, because they play off-guard and are a few inches taller. You make a good point though. It also bothers me that he doesnt play pg on his own team. Most of the time Wrickerson runs the show and former Trinity pg Devon Dace runs the show. I see Hanlen getting away from the pg he used to be and taking a lot shots. Who offered him.

>V, thanks for the list.

>

>My question is where would the '07 high school players fit

>on this list--Powell, Mitchell & Lacey in particular.

In class of 2007, unsigned player

1.Leon Powell is the top unsigned player, the rest are mostly interchangable.

2. Kavon Lacey 6'0 PG

3. Terrence Williams 7'1 C

4. Rodney Ford 6'5 PG

5. Paul Eckerle 6'0 G

6. Chris Stokes 5'8 PG

7. Anthony Mitchell 6'4 G/F

Let me start by saying I have not seen Williams play this year, but from what I have heard from people who have you have him rated way too high. They all say his skill set is way behind Husak at the same stage. He is a big time project.

I also like Eckerle a little more than Ford. I know Ford has a big time height advantage. There is just something about Eckerle's game when you see him play that leaves me very impressed.

>I didnt put Hanlen high because he's 5'10 or 5'11 and I

>thought there were bigger prospects, because they play

>off-guard and are a few inches taller. You make a good

>point though. It also bothers me that he doesnt play pg on

>his own team. Most of the time Wrickerson runs the show and

>former Trinity pg Devon Dace runs the show. I see Hanlen

>getting away from the pg he used to be and taking a lot

>shots. Who offered him.

Dace played at DuBourg for two years.

Hanlen has offers from Western Illinois, Southeast Missouri and another school that I am forgetting right now — like Illinois State or Eastern Illinois or something like that.

I think Hanlen showed enough as a point guard early in his career. He played with poise as a freshman and seemed to handle whatever pressure teams threw at him. If I remember correctly, he wasn't rattled at the Shootout against Homewood-Flossmoor, Julian Wright's team that also had a few other D-1 guys on it.

Hanlen is like a smaller version of Blake Ahearn. The kid just works incredibly hard and makes shots. The height thing will keep him from getting many more scholarship offers, but he's a tough kid who will contribute to a Division I program somewhere.

I don't think he would be a bad fit at SLU, except that Kramer Soderberg is a similar player.

- Nate

>Let me start by saying I have not seen Williams play this

>year, but from what I have heard from people who have you

>have him rated way too high. They all say his skill set is

>way behind Husak at the same stage. He is a big time

>project.

>

>I also like Eckerle a little more than Ford. I know Ford

>has a big time height advantage. There is just something

>about Eckerle's game when you see him play that leaves me

>very impressed.

I rated him in the top 7 in unsigned area seniors, that's not too high. I said the guys under Powell were interchangable. He does have offers from Mizzou, Nevada, and a few others. That leads me to believe they see something more in him. His skill set is behind Husak, but his shot blocking is WAY better. That is what he does and many believe he's just scratching the surface, this is his first year getting to play. Dustin played a lot of center last year for E'ville. Williams had a great summer and turned a lot of heads. He runs the floor better than Husak too. He's not a starting center. He's an energy shot blocking guy that can come in and run the floor, get the crowd into the game. How much area talent do you expect to be left. Its February.

>Let me start by saying I have not seen Williams play this

>year, but from what I have heard from people who have you

>have him rated way too high. They all say his skill set is

>way behind Husak at the same stage. He is a big time

>project.

Terrance Williams is all potential right now, but he does have a chance to be a nice player for somebody in a couple years. I don't know what his academic situation is, but I'd take Williams over Husak.

Guys like Williams and Husak aren't bad to have on the roster. Yes, they are projects, but the payoff can be much higher for true 7-footers like that. Williams can run and jump, which probably makes him more athletic than you're average 7-footer.

>I also like Eckerle a little more than Ford. I know Ford

>has a big time height advantage. There is just something

>about Eckerle's game when you see him play that leaves me

>very impressed.

I like Eckerle. He's played in a lot of big games over the years and had success. He's also a good kid and a great student and would be a good addition to any team.

Ford has potential, but he needs to put in work to get better. If he goes JUCO, he could get some good D-1 looks in a couple years.

- Nate

I doubt Williams has an offer from Mizzou.

The Tigers have one scholarship to give and have gone after a few other kids. If the Tigers have extended several scholarship offers, thinking that they will lose a couple guys in the offseason, then I wouldn't be as surprised.

But it could be a situation where the school offers, knowing that a kid won't make grades, and will have a recruiting advantage in a couple years after he goes to a JUCO.

- Nate

I dont know why I said trinity and not dubourg, all those AAA teams are basically the same to me I guess. Yeah, I know hanlen backup up Jay Robinson as a freshman and started at pg as a sophomore. And you're right, he wasnt rattled at all in the shootout. I believe the games was against Stanley Robinson of Uconn's team and not Julian Wright's. I just think at his size your need to be an exceptional player like Alex Moosman. Do you think he could carry a team to a title like Moosman. I'm not sure. And yeah, Kramer is a better player at the same size. Drew is a good player, and if he were 6'3 he'd have some high-major looks. Because of his size, not his game I listed him lower.

>So which players have offers from SLU? Are there any other

>players on the list who don't yet have offers but are being

>recruited by SLU?

>

>Nate and others who have seen these kids, would you agree

>that Kramer and Femi are ranked below Perry and Roundtree?

Yes Kramer and Femi are below Perry and Roundtree. I dont know who I think they'll be recruiting Kenny Harris this time next year. I listed him at 6'4 on the list, but he's actually closer to 6'6 now. He was 6'4 last year at Vashon. He played the first 3 games this year before being ruled ineligible because MSHSAA ruled that he transferred for basketball reasons. Another player getting used to his size. He was 5'11 in 8th grade and is now 6'6. He is athletic, shoots the 3 well. Played really good on the Eagles after his freshman season at Soldan. Then transferred to Vashon, was a key bench player on the championship team. Now he's at Gateway, where I presume he'll stay in order to not spend 4 years at 4 different schools. Really talented guard just needs to add weight. He could leapfrog into the top 5 of the list by this time next year. He's that good.

>That would be a great get for SLU. It would leave

>scholarships open for other players, but that still means

>you got to sign four guys. My hopes are high but we will

>see.

>

>Diddy have you heard anything about Frazier?

If Eckerle walks on, I say you sign2 impact players and offer almost all of the top 2008 guys from the area. At least the top 10. 2008 is key, it's stacked. Mizzou has 8 scholarships open for 2008. Anderson is bound to steal some of those guys. SIU already has 2. Its not looking good. Missouri State will probably land at least 1. These next 8-10 months are the biggest in the history of the program. If he's gonna waste Lisch and Liddell, he better at least have some replacements lined up. I'm sure a lot of the 2008 kids will play as freshman, but not sure how much they can be counted on right away to lead the team to a tournament in KL and TL's senior seaosn. In 2009, you have the big 3. Griffey, Allen, and Anderson. I still dont know why Anderson doesnt have an offer. Is he gonna wait for Mizzou to offer. Does anyone know if Allen has an offer. Someone posted that Lowery has come to see him twice. Will Brad wait til Lowery offers him first even though he has Frazier, Baniak, and Redden on Allen's coaching staff.