just checking top 25 teams last night

to see how many of those teams have great depth. i expected all these teams to be using 9 and 10 players.

ucla 7 guys played all but 9 of the available 200 minutes. 3 guys played 32+ minutes.

btw, their opponent, az state, had 7 players play all but one of the available minutes and 5 guys played 30+.

arizona had 6 players only play over 10 minutes. 3 of them played at least 38 minutes.

duke used 7 players for 10+ minutes. 3 played 34+ minutes.

oregon only had 6 players play more than 10 minutes. 4 starters played 30 minutes +.

#13 Nevada had 7 players play 10+ minutes and 4 played 30+ minutes.

it seems a short rotation has become more the norm than most thought.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

we have 7 guys averaging 11 minutes a game or better. about the same as what it appeared the top 25 teams are using their players.

My problem with the rotation is that it is getting shorter as the season progresses. The only way other people outside of the top 7 are getting minutes is when some one is so tired they are about to drop or someone is injure. It also seem like the players outside of the starting five are allowed two mistakes, most of the time one, before they are pulled for the rest of the game. This leads to them player scared.

so if i go to ucla or arizona or duke or nevada or oregon's season stats, their 7th man is going to have stats that is significantly better than danny brown and justin johnson? i havent done that yet, but i just wanted to clarify your supposed fact statement.

brian, i just showed you that almost all the top teams are only playing 7 players for most of the minutes. so why will ours get more tired than arizona's or duke's?

cajun said,

"look at Florida. They probably only play seven guys a significant amount of minutes, but four of those guys are first round draft picks"

even if it made sense to compare the billikens to the defending national champions that brought back an entire roster, your point is that their top 4 is so much better so that makes their depth superior. how do we prove that? i think you are saying that their top 4 players are better than ours.

i would be inclined to agree that top 5 teams have better top 4 players than the billikens. that might have more to do with why they are in the top 5 than the coaches.

how do we judge that if the stats wont tell and the minutes played arent significantly different?

all i am saying is that it appears it is actually the exception for teams to use players past the 7th man for significant minutes and it is common that teams are using the select 3 or 4 players for 30+ minutes a game.

the reason the billikens are not a top 25 team has less to do with the team depth and more to do with the fact that the starting five is not as good as top 25 teams. but typical depth is apparently about a 7 or 8 man rotation.

My God, you and Brad's wife are about the only two people on the planet that think Brad is actually doing a good job.

All you ahve to say about our horrible depth problem is that one guy got hurt and all of a sudden a walk-on was playing critical minutes in a road conference game. Its that simple.

Drew, this is ridiculous. If Roy can't see how ridiculous his comparisons are in this thread, then there is absolutely no getting through to him.

If our 6th, 7th and 8th players are close to the quality of the Duke's, Arizona's, and UCLA's, then why the hell aren't they starters at SLU??

In roy's eyes, coffey (a walk-on at SLU) is equal to Duke's 8th player...LMAO!!!

Here is a sample of top 25 five teams. The each go at least 8 deap in getting 8 minutes a game. Most go nine or ten deap. SLU goes seven because you can not include BH cause he has played in less than half the games.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/teams/dau/stats

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/teams/nav/stats

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/teams/uaa/stats

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/teams/aaq/stats

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/teams/wbg/stats

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/teams/oad/stats

when was the last time i said brad is doing a good job? i think there are factors that dont allow us to judge fairly the job he is doing.

as to me being all alone in my thoughts, if that was true, then davidnark's poll today would be 17-1 not the 9-9 it stands at right now. i think there are more folks that agree there are extenuating circumstances than you think.

I disagree. We tend to look pretty solid when our starting five is fresh and playing together and I think they can certainly compete with a top 25 team. The problem comes when those guys start getting tired. You put Justin Johnson for Ian or Luke, since he is a guard battling his ass off against legitimate power forwards, and the quality of your drops immensely. Then you put Danny Brown in for Polk and the quality of our team drops even more. Justin Johnson is ###### and he really hurts this team. Danny is often a non-factor scoring the ball while turning the ball over and constantly getting blown by on defense. These two hurt our team a lot. I think I would consider our starting five to be a top 25 caliber group.

so "depth" is defined by 8 players getting 8 minutes a game not 7 players getting 10 minutes a game?

got it.

i only said, that we use a similar rotation to all the teams in the top 25 in the nation that played last night.

but nice job twisting the words.

"the reason the billikens are not a top 25 team has less to do with the team depth and more to do with the fact that the starting five is not as good as top 25 teams. but typical depth is apparently about a 7 or 8 man rotation."

Those are your words. Typical depth is apparently a 7-8 rotation per your words and you say SLU has similar team depth to the top 25 teams. I countered and said depth is more than just running 7-8 guys out there. It's about quality. You haven't addressed the quality of our 6th, 7th, and 8th guys as compared to the top 25.

So, when you make statements that SLU has similar team depth and are non-responsive, then i'm going to read between the lines.

Are our 6th, 7th, and 8th players as good as Duke's, UCLA's and Arizona's? Or would you guesstimate that there is a significant drop in talent?