Promotions

BleedBlue

What happen to the promotions to get people out to games? Whether it was a magnet, the autograph night, etc... These events were posted on slubillikens.com and some made special efforts to get out and attend the game.

Terrible oversight by the AD to not setup a single promotion for this season.

Oh, I forgot, they did have one promotion, the poster... Boy, that was a surprise and not advertised anywhere.

I thought the Billiken bobble-head they did about 5 years back was a great give away. I also enjoyed the Brad Soderberg bobble-head give away and found it amusing, although I would have preferred a Billiken Legend bobble-head like Chris Heinrich. I think the posters they have put out in recent years were pretty neat. It just seems that the overall marketing efforts for this program are lacking. I think a kid like metz would really flourish in a position like that. It seems like when you go to Valley games they have a lot of entertaining competitions and what not during time-outs that are much more enjoyable and exciting than what we have currently.

When I was a kid (in the 80s), they did some great promotions. There was an autograph night, where they gave us a team photo and held an autograph session after the game. I still have my photo, complete with the signatures of Bonner, Gray, Douglas, etc. I also remember getting a Billiken warm-up pullover that was pretty sweet - a baby blue v-neck with the old Billiken insignia on the chest. It was awesome and I wore it until I grew out of it.

The Billiken Bobble-head was a great promotion. They need to do more things like that. I missed out on the Brad Bobble-head. Too bad. Also, what is the Billikens policy on retiring jerseys or raising them up (i don't think they are the same thing b/c UNC raised May, McCants, and Felton's jerseys but didn't retire them). I think maybe someone like Marquee Perry or Josh Fischer should get their jersey raised. That would be a fun event that might bring some more people to the game.

Not sure about Fisher and Marque at this point, but what about raising the jersey of a Scott Highmark or Erwin Claggett. Who currently has their jersey retired? I think that the team with Highmark and Claggett really got the area excited about Billiken basketball and I think fans would really come out if they honored those two. Talk about two great players who represented the program well, I think they are definitely deserving of such distinction.

game promotions would cut substantially into our massive athletic dept budget and would likely wipe out marketing's share completely.

The media guide says that Ed Macauley is the only player to have his number retired in Billiken basketball history. However, on the bottom of the page it shows Retired Numbers and it shows #24 Dick Boushka, #34 Anthony Bonner, and #43 Bob Ferry. It would seem that those last three have received the distinction similar to what Felton, May, and McCants received at North Carolina. I say we should go ahead and give that distinction to Scott Highmark and Erwin Claggett, I think they are deserving and it would be a nice gesture. That team really captivated the area, why not honor those guys and I am sure it would bring some fans to the game who may not follow the Billikens as closely now.

Roy, you have become so bitter as of late. At least check the stats and see that we are in the top 1/3 - higher then SMS, SIU, and several others. I am not sure that give away promotions put people into the stands for an SLU game. Not saying they should not do them but it really probably has little impact.

I am also sure that if we had a REAL Marketing Department they could partner with a local corporation and have them flip the bill for a promotional giveaway of some sort. I work in the IT industry and I don't think my company has paid for shirts, mugs, pens, calendars or anything else for years. Seems to me there is a lack of creativity when it comes to SLU's marketing department.

On Hwy 64, just west of the armory, there is a nice billboard advertising Billiken basketball. In the Bush Student Center there is a very large and very visibal poster. It states free tickets and transportation will be given to students showing proper ID for several upcoming games, I think about 5 or 6, including Sat and Sat nite games. At the bottome of the poster it says "sponsered by Blue Crew". I don't know if Blue Crew is paying for the tickets and then distributing them or if the school is giving tickets to the Blue Crew and then letting them handle publicity and distribution. I am not defending promotions as I think overall it is lame, but these two items indicate promotions is not 100% dead. Maybe the polster Blue Crew Pres can enlighten us more.

About the banner I put up in the BSC: it says "sponsored by BLUE CREW" because you're supposed to put the name of the organization that is hanging the poster on the sign itself. After I hung it up and looked at it, I thought to myself, "I have a feeling people might think we're paying for the tickets" but we are not...the SIGN is sponsored by BLUE CREW (and by "BLUE CREW" I mean my personal debit card).

Everything that is being posted in this thread are reinforcing everything I feel very strongly about. I am not going to blame the AD for not caring about doing promotions to get students out to games, etc. They just don't have someone who's sole job is to do that type of thing. They did have that promotions guy last year, but he has since left us. Even if they don't have much money to spend on it, I think they need someone who knows the student body well enough that they can come up with cheap and creative promotions in key points on campus.

I think that the SLU AD needs to create an "Internal Marketing" position; a position devoted entirely to promote athletic events on campus and developing long-term relationships with current students and young alumni to make sure that they remain devoted Billiken fans once they get older than 25.

I fully believe that the most prominent motivation for school spirit is athletics. Furthermore, I feel that the more involved students are with their school’s athletics as undergraduates, the more likely they will stay involved post-graduation, and with the Arena being built, it is more important now than ever to start harnessing these Billiken fans in the future.

The person who would take this job can't be someone who they bring in from the outside the SLU community. To save them money, it needs to be someone who knows the students and administration, in other words a member of the SLU community. They have to be a liasion between the Athletic Department and the general SLU population. That way, it's the most cost-efficient for the AD and it could have an immediate effect on the student body...an all out win-win situation for both the AD's finances as well as the University itself. I feel very strongly about this and I hope that even if a position is not created, there is something that can be developed to help fill this void.

That is my rant for the day ;)

our athletic dept loves to hire young men and women just out of school, if there ever was a young man or woman just out of school i would be thinking about hiring at slu it is our bluecrew president.

Is that really a full time job? Going to a graphic design firm to get some posters and hand-outs is not that tough to do. The athletic department is the biggest group of clowns, outside of this team's bench, that you will ever see. They are so inept that it never ceases to amaze me. I saw Chris Sloan on campus the other day, is he working at SLU in some capacity?

cajun, you make a job what you make it. i would believe that our bluecrewprez would make it a tireless job that she would devote bigtime hours to that would entail more than your example. your example is what is likely wrong with our inside folks now, they dont have the vision and desire to do more outside the expected box.

This is the FIRST DRAFT of what I proposed for the internal marketing position in the Athletic Department (many things would be added to it):

o Working with the Saint Louis University Athletic Department to develop a strategic plan for internal marketing.

o Serving as the liaison between the Saint Louis University Athletic Department and the Student Government Association, Student Activities Board, Fraternities and Sororities, and student organizations.

o Serving as the liaison between the Saint Louis University Athletic Department and the Office of Student Life.

o Serving as the liaison between the Saint Louis University Athletic Department and on-campus news and media outlets (e.g. KSLU, University News, SLU TV).

o Serving as advisor and resource to the student spirit organizations (e.g. Blue Crew, Legion 1818).

o Working with student organizations and the Office of Student Life to create activities and events aimed at creating awareness and attendance at athletic competitions.

o Working with Alumni Relations to comprise a working e-mail and mailing list of Alums who would like to continue their involvement in Billiken Athletics post-graduation.

o Creating open communication as well as strong and lasting bonds between the Athletic Department and general student population.

o Promoting athletic events to all Saint Louis University students through on-campus promotions (e.g. signs, tailgates, pep rallies).

o Helping to build on the current "Traditions" page on SLUBillikens.com to include stories about past Billiken teams and their accomplishments (e.g. an Online Hall of Fame)

o Serving as the Saint Louis University Athletic Department’s voice and presence at SLU 101 sessions as well as any other incoming student events to promote athletics and to obtain new student season ticket holders.

o Developing promotions to take place during athletic events aimed at creating student interest and attendance.

o Keeping ex-student athletes connected to the current student body through organized events and updates.

P.S. Thanks Billiken_Roy ;)