Vote for the Billiken: Best Catholic Mascot

bonwich

This carny game was rigged. We were ahead until the very end of voting.

We know who has the best mascot, Catholic or otherwise. If the Redskins have to change their name shouldn't the Irish Amish or the few non violent Irish folk out their start a movement to make Notre Dame change their names to the Redhawks or something.....

So timeline on this thing is something like this:

-12AM Billiken leads 51% to 49%

-approx 6:30AM this tweet is sent out:

Vote again for best Catholic School Mascot. Crusader behind a bit. Tell your friends push him over the top. http://goo.gl/8z6vBL

Granted the Holy Cross Bally account only has 39 followers, so I'm not sure the tweet had much of an effect.

-approx 8:45AM I checked and the "day 2" voting was closed

-approx 10AM the results are announced and the Billiken has lost

Assuming the 6:30ish tweet is correct, then it means the Billiken lost a slim lead somewhere in the last 2 hours of voting. Gut-wrenching loss.

Only 39 Followers, but well connected!

My son is a sophomore at HC and he said between facebook and e-mail, he had about 10 different people prompt him to vote last night. And he doesn't have a Twitter account, so ...

This carny game was rigged. We were ahead until the very end of voting.

This coming from a board with a post giving directions on how to vote multiple times. Hmmmm.

Might the system be smart enough in the end to identify multiple votes from a single computer/IP address or without an IP address at all and discard them? So might the "lead" the Billiken have been a hollow lead???

Seriously, I like the Billiken as it is very unique mascot, but the representation of the Billiken needs a little pizzaz. As drawn it is a bit monochromatic and uninteresting so the impartial vote may have gone to the Crusader and been the difference!

Well done you were a game opponent! Now come vote for the Crusader as you can not allow the conference hopping Xavier Blue Blob to win!

My son is a sophomore at HC and he said between facebook and e-mail, he had about 10 different people prompt him to vote last night. And he doesn't have a Twitter account, so ...

This coming from a board with a post giving directions on how to vote multiple times. Hmmmm.

Might the system be smart enough in the end to identify multiple votes from a single computer/IP address or without an IP address at all and discard them? So might the "lead" the Billiken have been a hollow lead???

Seriously, I like the Billiken as it is very unique mascot, but the representation of the Billiken needs a little pizzaz. As the drawn is a bit monochromatic and uninteresting so the impartial vote may have gone to the Crusader and been the difference!

Well done you were a game opponent! Now come vote for the Crusader as you can not allow the conference hopping Xavier Blue Blob to win!

You joined this board just now only so you could post about this?

Seriously, I like the Billiken as it is very unique mascot, but the representation of the Billiken needs a little pizzaz. As drawn it is a bit monochromatic and uninteresting so the impartial vote may have gone to the Crusader and been the difference!

All in good fun. I'm sure there was "dirty" voting on both sides. Holy Cross has an enrollment of less than 3,000 and SLU has over 10,000 (including grad students). Given that the tweet encourages HC fans to "vote again" I'd say HC had quite a few people submitting multiple votes. I'm not sure how Survey Monkey works, so I can't give you an answer on your multiple votes from one IP address theory. However, it would seem odd for them to show up in the tally and then be discounted later. Seem to me that the HC ballot stuffers just had better timing.

I agree with you mostly on the Billiken mascot needing a little sprucing up. It used to be better, but has been watered down over the years. I don't think that made much of a difference in the voting.

It seems that as a school HC had a more concerted effort to win the vote. Multiple school affiliated twitter accounts tweeting about it, email chains going out, etc. As far as I can tell SLU's effort was mostly from a few this message board and the school may not have even known a random website was hosting a voting of the best Catholic mascot. Anyways, kudos to the Crusader on the win.

Could you tell us how many stars your mascot received out of high school? Perhaps inform us of the ways Holy Cross will out athlete the Billiken? It's kind of tradition in these parts.

"Holy Cross is not in the entertainment business." --HC Pres. Fr Brooks SJ circa 1982

You joined this board just now only so you could post about this?

Some of us at HC wish we still were.....