SLU vs Fordham

Tilkowsky

13 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

No.  Disparity of budgets is only one factor in making a soccer program successful - and I would suggest, it is actually not even one of the most important factors taking a distant second to the head coach, likelihood of success during the recruits time on campus, quality of schedule, facilities and let's not forget - the quality of education to be received.  And last I checked, SLU has sports programs to win and succeed against all D1 schools - including those in Power conferences and with larger budgets.   Just like our basketball program's goal of making the NCAA Tourney each year and then having advanced success such as a Sweet 16 or possibly even an Elite or Final Four, our soccer program needs to do better at achieving a similar goal.  Hiring the likes of assistant coaches like Dan Donnegan or former players liker Sorber or McBride makes as much sense as hiring Soderberg, Jay Spoonhour, Porter Moser, Chris Harriman, Alex Jensen, Jim Whitesell or thinking guys like Anthony Bonner, Danny Brown, Calbert Cheney, etc. should be the next head coach. Anyone truly believe we would have a roster like we are about to see next year had we chose any of the above?

Wake me up when Dr. P., Chris May and any other soccer program booster decides they are serious about winning soccer here at SLU and are willing to get their checkbook out to hire the likes of Charlie Spoonhour, Rick Majerus or Travis Ford (all 3 are what I like to call "splash" hires) as our next soccer head coach.  The last time SLU was serious about soccer is when it hired Bob Warming, brought soccer practices and games back to campus -- practices away from St. Louis Univ High School's practice football fields known as Forest Park and games away from the Soccer Park.  And guess what, we started again to sign the best local talent, other top local talent transferred back home to SLU and we also signed top-notch national talent resulting in our last making soccer's equivalent to the Final Four.  For those who forgot what happened, Fr. Biondi and SLU went back to their cheap ways and refused to retain Bob Warming or to hire a head coach to more than a one-year contract, did not pay anything (and then not much) for assistant coaches, stopped upgrading and improving facilities, watched Bob Warming leave and go back to Creighton before then going to Penn State in 2010 where he is still coaching, winning, going to Sweet 16's and nearly winning national coach of the year.   http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-soccer/mtt/bob_warming_660025.html

And SLU's response?  We hired Warming's assistant coach.  Have we not learned anything?  Even at the worst D1 soccer program in the country (fill in whatever name you want here) and/or with the lowest budget in the NCAA, Bob Warming would find a way to win.  Good players want to play for good coaches.  End of story.  Sorry for the above rant.   Please continue with the normal SLU soccer talk about wondering SLU isn't winning national titles any more, why the best players don't all want to stay here at SLU, getting disappointed each year when cannot beat Dayton and why our no name coaches can no longer win the A10 or make the NCCA Tourney anymore.

And trollpants, please leave this Board and feel free to hire an attorney or to contact the NCAA and report SLU soccer for all the alleged abuses it has done to you while you were at SLU or around the soccer program.  All I can figure is you were somehow molested in a shower by SLU's version of Jerry Sandusky/Penn State... at least that is all I can figure in that I find no other explanation for your hatred toward SLU and SLU soccer and yet your ADHD obsession regarding the same.

I don't think Sorber would be the best hire, but he is in a totally different group than the people you lumped him in with.  Sorber has a pretty impressive coaching resume with 6 years on the staff of the USMNT and four years as an assistant in the MLS.  Sorber is currently the top assistant coach on Curtin's staff in Philadelphia.  Sorber wouldn't be among the guys I would go after for the job, but he definitely has a legit resume for the job.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You might be totally right on Sorber.  At the same time, and as you know, being a good player does not always translate into being a good coach.  And coaching top elite USMNT players is not the same as coaching college players.  And even assuming Sorber is a great coach and would want to go "backward" from that of a national team assistant coach to a head college coach, would he be a great head coach at the college level which requires as much than actually coaching soccer --- recruiting, hand holding, sucking up to donors, kissing ass of players, parents and club/high school coaches with high egos and unrealistic expectations.

3 hours ago, Tilkowsky said:

Is SLU not committed to excellence?

I guess SLU doesn't have a great coach then?

Saint Louis has college soccer showcases don't they?

Nick Popovic was the National High School Player of the Year in 2015 ( he went to CBC in St. Louis). He chose IU over SLU. Why?

Take a look at how many of the College Cup participants have been Power 5 conference members and how many have been schools like SLU. Case closed.

SLU hasn't been to a College Cup for twenty years. Why? Where are all of these recruits you talk about who want to choose SLU over a Power five conference school?

I guess Bobby doesn't want to answer these.

Too bad. 

3 hours ago, brianstl said:

Why would SLU need an athletic budget as large as school that has football?  SLU's budget should be smaller because they don't have to fund a football program and an equal amount of scholarship slots on the women's side.  SLU can have well funded or better funded athletic teams without having an overall budget close to the size of a program that has to fund football.

Because that bigger budget allows those schools to spend money on a better coach. The current coach at Creighton interviewed at SLU then Creighton. Took the Creighton job because the salary was double what SLU was offering.

They can also take more road trips to play better competition so the travel budget is more than likely bigger.

Football schools get revenue from football that helps the other sports.

2 hours ago, hsmith19 said:

I still think we have a shot at beating Fordham. With Mason and Colter gone, we might have a chance at a road win over Duquesne too. Is Mason playing pro anywhere? If so, he should probably donate a portion of his salary to SLU.

Too bad Tilly still doesn't want to talk about the current season on a basketball site.

98 - Indiana, Stanford, Santa Clara, Maryland
99 - Indiana, Santa Clara, Connecticut, UCLA
00 - Connecticut, Creighton, Indiana, Southern Methodist
01 - North Carolina, Indiana, Stanford, St. John's
02 - UCLA, Stanford, Maryland, Creighton 
03 - Indiana, St. John's, Maryland, Santa Clara
04 - Indiana, UC Santa Barbara, Maryland, Duke
05 - Maryland, New Mexico, Clemson, Southern Methodist
06 - UC Santa Barbara, UCLA, Wake Forest, Virginia
07 - Wake Forest, Ohio State, Virginia Tech, Massachusetts 
08 - Maryland, North Carolina, St. John's, Wake Forest
09 - Virginia, Akron, Wake Forest, North Carolina
10 - Akron, Louisville, Michigan, North Carolina
11 - North Carolina, Charlotte, UCLA, Creighton
12 - Indiana, Georgetown, Creighton, Maryland
13 - Notre Dame, Maryland, New Mexico, Virginia
14 - Virginia, UCLA, Providence, UMBC
15 - Stanford, Clemson, Akron, Syracuse

So here is the list of College Cup participants since 1998. The schools in italics I guess we can consider mid- majors. Even though the overwhelming majority of those have football and big basketball contracts to help fuel their athletic departments.

Even allowing those mid-majors only accounted for fourteen out of a possible seventy two slots.

For the past 18 years mid-majors account for only 19 percent of the slots in College Cup.

My argument is that only Santa Clara (which has been on a downward spiral like SLU) is the only school similar to SLU in stature.

The rest are football schools or state schools.

12 minutes ago, hsmith19 said:

If you look real closely, you'll see it's a basketball court, not a soccer field, in the background of the homepage. It's also December. Basketball or GTFO.

I guess you could not read the thread. Correct?

You have HoosierPal to thank for bumping the thread? No?

45 minutes ago, Tilkowsky said:

I guess you could not read the thread. Correct?

You have HoosierPal to thank for bumping the thread? No?

HoosierPal contributes plenty, to the hoops discussion and otherwise. You contribute steaming turds, and I'm just trying to polish your thread title into a pertinent discussion.

15 hours ago, hsmith19 said:

HoosierPal contributes plenty, to the hoops discussion and otherwise. You contribute steaming turds, and I'm just trying to polish your thread title into a pertinent discussion.

Steaming turds because you don't want to talk about how bad the soccer team is?