Bryant Allen

NH

# star, Torch, STLHI, Diddy, anyone have news on this guy and his recruitment

I plan on interviewing him this week. I'm just waiting on one of my staff members that contacted him to let me know when he is available. I'm probably wont ask him about his recruitment, because thats not really what we are about, but if he volunteers information that he wants to be in the interview, then thats a different story. I usually dont ask players for school lists, but I did ask Josh Harrellson, just because his road to the D1 level is a little different from a lot of other guys.

I'm sure Majerus has been in contact with him. So have a lot of other schools in the area. Some of the coaches w/maplewood had a less than cordial relationship with the previous SLU regime. Most of the area is still in honeymoon mode with Majerus. We should know more after this fall how much of inroads Majerus is making with the local HS coaches and the AAU coaches (since the guys at maplewood are involved with both).

Guest BillikenReport

Allen has a few mid-major offers already.

He was supposed to make an unofficial visit to campus this summer but didn't. I would expect him to do that soon.

I could see him getting an offer from SLU if he's interested in the school.

- Nate

Some of the coaches w/maplewood had a less than cordial relationship with the previous SLU regime. Most of the area is still in honeymoon mode with Majerus. We should know more after this fall how much of inroads Majerus is making with the local HS coaches and the AAU coaches (since the guys at maplewood are involved with both).

torch, i keep hearing this about soderberg. could you be specific about what was the cause of this "less than cordial replationship" soderberg had with high school and aau coaches? my own contact with coach soderberg and that with high school coaches like kevin lisch's high school coach make it hard to believe but on the other hand one cant argue with the results the last two seasons of recruiting that something wasnt right. what happened or rather didnt?

I'm probably wont ask him about his recruitment, because thats not really what we are about, but if he volunteers information that he wants to be in the interview, then thats a different story.

Mr. James seems to emphasize the recruiting aspect of STL Hoops Insider.

"Q: You are currently featured in a highlight tape on STL Hoops Insider. How did that come about?

A: The video was made by the STL Hoops Insider founder, Justin Mosley and his staff, who helps me with my recruiting. They asked for some video tapes of a few games, and they made the magic happen. I appreciate their help.

Q: What do you think of STL Hoops Insider, it's staff, and its involvement in the community?

A: I think that the website is brilliant. It is about time the STL ball players get credit for their play on the basketball court. I believe that this is by far the best high school website I have seen in a long time. I believe this will help a lot of players with their recruiting. The community will love to hear about this site, and read about the player's accomplishments. I appreciate that St. Louis basketball players will finally get a chance to be seen nationally.

Mr. James seems to emphasize the recruiting aspect of STL Hoops Insider.

"Q: You are currently featured in a highlight tape on STL Hoops Insider. How did that come about?

A: The video was made by the STL Hoops Insider founder, Justin Mosley and his staff, who helps me with my recruiting. They asked for some video tapes of a few games, and they made the magic happen. I appreciate their help.

Q: What do you think of STL Hoops Insider, it's staff, and its involvement in the community?

A: I think that the website is brilliant. It is about time the STL ball players get credit for their play on the basketball court. I believe that this is by far the best high school website I have seen in a long time. I believe this will help a lot of players with their recruiting. The community will love to hear about this site, and read about the player's accomplishments. I appreciate that St. Louis basketball players will finally get a chance to be seen nationally.

He's a good basketball player and an even better person. It was a pleasure working with him. Ofcourse my staff and I help players with their recruiting behind the scenes, but that's not the purpose of the site. The site is about exposure, but kids can contact me through the email address on the website if they want to get in touch with my staff. If anyone wants to know how we help kids with their recruiting you can shoot me a PM, or email me at the address in my signature.

He's a good basketball player and an even better person. It was a pleasure working with him. Ofcourse my staff and I help players with their recruiting behind the scenes, but that's not the purpose of the site. The site is about exposure, but kids can contact me through the email address on the website if they want to get in touch with my staff. If anyone wants to know how we help kids with their recruiting you can shoot me a PM, or email me at the address in my signature.

I applaud giving goods kids exposure. Are you just trying to give kids exposure for the sake of exposure? Or is it the hope that this exposure will draw attention from schools at the NAIA through D-I levels?

Regardless, good luck with the site an i'm sure i'll check it out from time to time when you have new information.

I applaud giving goods kids exposure. Are you just trying to give kids exposure for the sake of exposure? Or is it the hope that this exposure will draw attention from schools at the NAIA through D-I levels?

Regardless, good luck with the site an i'm sure i'll check it out from time to time when you have new information.

Players have always asked me for help with recruiting and I've helped them behind the scenes. The site is an outlet that helps me reach more players because they can not only get exposure through interviews and articles, but they can get in touch with me personally and let me help them like I've helped players in the past. The site has already drawn attention from schools at the NAIA through D1 levels.

Players have always asked me for help with recruiting and I've helped them behind the scenes. The site is an outlet that helps me reach more players because they can not only get exposure through interviews and articles, but they can get in touch with me personally and let me help them like I've helped players in the past. The site has already drawn attention from schools at the NAIA through D1 levels.

That sounds like to me like the exposure is for recruiting purposes and that is the main thrust of the site. I have no problem with that.

What have you done to help kids in the past? Are you trying to become a street agent? The site has already drawn interest from programs on the NAIA to D-1 levels, really? It has really been an impressive few days. I we give you a whole month you might become the next Bob Gibbons or Dave Telep. If we give you a year you will become the best ever.

That sounds like to me like the exposure is for recruiting purposes and that is the main thrust of the site. I have no problem with that.

I would phrase it this way: The site is what the players make of it. If a player has the excellent academics of a Paul Eckerle and no desire to play college basketball, but would like publicity for his great high school accomplishments, we can give them that. You might also have a kid like Anthony James who feels he's being looked over and wants us to exhaust all resources to get him to his desired basketball destination, we also offer that.

Is that understandable?

Also, I'm not trying to say Eckerle doesnt want to play.

You might also have a kid like Anthony James who feels he's being looked over and wants us to exhaust all resources to get him to his desired basketball destination, we also offer that.

What resources do you bring to the table besides posting ten thousand times on a message boards about a guy you feel is getting over looked? Who else is on your "staff"?

Brian, why do you insist on breaking stlhi's balls?

Why is it breaking his balls to ask him how he is going to deliver on his claims? Hell I am really intrested what he plans to do and what he is now claiming to have done in the past to help kids behind the scenes. It is all really starting to reek of street agent to me.

Why is it breaking his balls to ask him how he is going to deliver on his claims? Hell I am really intrested what he plans to do and what he is now claiming to have done in the past to help kids behind the scenes. It is all really starting to reek of street agent to me.

Brian if you any questions you can me email me. The address is in my signature.

Brian if you any questions you can me email me. The address is in my signature.

I think a lot of us want to know. Wouldn't it just be easier to post it here as opposed to answering emails? Why so secretive? Besides, if you post a claim publicly shouldn't you answer it publicly?

Brian isn't busting anyone's balls. If a person makes claims then that person should expect to be questioned on those claims.

torch, i keep hearing this about soderberg. could you be specific about what was the cause of this "less than cordial replationship" soderberg had with high school and aau coaches? my own contact with coach soderberg and that with high school coaches like kevin lisch's high school coach make it hard to believe but on the other hand one cant argue with the results the last two seasons of recruiting that something wasnt right. what happened or rather didnt?

Lisch was an outsider (similar to Kramer) who didn't play AAU all the time. For various reasons he could relate to Soderberg and Brad was able to develop a special relationship with him.

AAU coaches were turned off by Brad. They felt they were ignored. Brad appeared to have a tendency to bypass AAU and also HS coaches (in some situations like Maplewood, CBC, etc they are both) and develop relationships directly with the families involved. Thing is most families aren't like Kevin Lisch's, Scott Suggs' or even Tommie Liddell's (whose mother was won over by Brad and that circumvented any and all interference from other family members and outsiders). Recruiting is put in the hands of the coaches and BBall mentors rather than the parents who have either no interest, no experience, are just not around, or have already placed their trust in the hands of the AAU coaches who have known their kids for several years. I've been told personally by 2 AAU coaches who were products of SLU that Brad circumvented them and this led them to have a poor opinion of his staff and obviously the school. They would never say they steered kids away but that is the most logical conclusion. BTW Rick showing up here has not changed their mind about SLU, they expect to be wooed by Majerus, maybe more so than usual because of their "poor treatment" from Brad.

Brad probably did the right and ethical thing in his recruiting but it will only work on a small # of recruits. You have to at least have better relationships with these guys, and then results on the floor will get you more face time with them and their players.

Recruiting is put in the hands of the coaches and BBall mentors rather than the parents who have either no interest, no experience, are just not around, or have already placed their trust in the hands of the AAU coaches who have known their kids for several years. I've been told personally by 2 AAU coaches who were products of SLU that Brad circumvented them and this led them to have a poor opinion of his staff and obviously the school. They would never say they steered kids away but that is the most logical conclusion.

i agree with the above as to what has transpired, what i dont agree with or at least am confused by is the reaction by the aau coaches. if brad is recruiting the kid, but just directly instead of through the street agent aau coaches, if the aim is to get the kids to college, what's the beef? are they missing out on something else that they feel the need they have to be in the loop with that player concerned?

i agree with the above as to what has transpired, what i dont agree with or at least am confused by is the reaction by the aau coaches. if brad is recruiting the kid, but just directly instead of through the street agent aau coaches, if the aim is to get the kids to college, what's the beef? are they missing out on something else that they feel the need they have to be in the loop with that player concerned?

Seriously Roy? I don't agree with it, but the "beef" is probably that the AAU coaches promote their teams by the number of D1 players they have personally promoted and/or produced. If a D1 coach comes along and messes with their marketing scheme (by circumventing the need for the AAU coach), i'm sure they are going to be pissed. Like i said, i don't agree with it.

I have a hard time believing you are this naive re: recruiting.

Seriously Roy? I don't agree with it, but the "beef" is probably that the AAU coaches promote their teams by the number of D1 players they have personally promoted and/or produced. If a D1 coach comes along and messes with their marketing scheme (by circumventing the need for the AAU coach), i'm sure they are going to be pissed. Like i said, i don't agree with it.

I have a hard time believing you are this naive re: recruiting.

what am i naive about? the fact that the aau coaches were mad that coach soderberg went around them but the kids still got recruited? if soderberg just wouldnt have recruited the player at all, then i agree there is reason. but if the kid still got recruited, shouldnt it all be about the kid? isnt that the reason they run the programs to advance the kid? instead they blackball the coach and try to discourage the kids from considering that choice because in the past the coach went around them. that to me says the real villian isnt coach soderberg in that scenario it is the aau coach that apparently has alterior motives. they should be thrilled that a kid gets recruited regardless of how the d-1 coach and the player meet up. instead since that coach didnt go through them they dissuade the player from considering that program? that just isnt right.

what am i naive about? the fact that the aau coaches were mad that coach soderberg went around them but the kids still got recruited? if soderberg just wouldnt have recruited the player at all, then i agree there is reason. but if the kid still got recruited, shouldnt it all be about the kid? isnt that the reason they run the programs to advance the kid? instead they blackball the coach and try to discourage the kids from considering that choice because in the past the coach went around them. that to me says the real villian isnt coach soderberg in that scenario it is the aau coach that apparently has alterior motives. they should be thrilled that a kid gets recruited regardless of how the d-1 coach and the player meet up. instead since that coach didnt go through them they dissuade the player from considering that program? that just isnt right.

I didn't say it was right and specifically disclaimed any support for it. You asked what the coaches were upset about and if you acted if you didn't know the answer. If you really didn't know, then that is being naive. But i suspect you did in fact know (as supported by your subsequent response) and wanted a forum to get on the soapbox about the ills of college recruiting. Also, it seems you just wanted to elicit support for Brad for not playing that game.

I didn't say it was right and specifically disclaimed any support for it. You asked what the coaches were upset about and if you acted if you didn't know the answer. If you really didn't know, then that is being naive. But i suspect you did in fact know (as supported by your subsequent response) and wanted a forum to get on the soapbox about the ills of college recruiting. Also, it seems you just wanted to elicit support for Brad for not playing that game.

actually i think brad was wrong for not playing the game. if he wanted to compete at the d-1 level, he has to. however that shouldnt go both ways imo. those supposed aau coaches that have nothing but the best interests of the kids at heart, shouldnt be blackballing a coach that does make contact with a kid. the aau coach should be promoting the kid, not holding them back by steering them away from opportunities. if an opportunity comes to the kid some other way and they find out about it, the right thing to do is honestly appraise the opportunity not knock it just because it apparently wasnt blessed by that aau coach.

In the end Brad should have played the game, but I'll give him credit for trying to do it his way. He got a couple good players out of it.

You remember when the AAU coach called darren clarke "that f***er from Minnesota." That really is the just the tip of the iceberg. That guy was peeved because Soderberg bypassed a player he had mentored, Ahearn, but some of these others, their dislike of SLU runs even deeper and the reasons for it more petty. We have 3 former SLU players on the eagles coaching staff. One is lukewarm about the program and the other two will badmouth it at the drop of a hat. You would think there would be some loyalty to the school but there is absolutely none. They are only out for themselves. I'm not saying they have to try to send every star player they have to SLU but dissuading kids from even considering SLU is really uncalled for and unprofessional.