A-10 Conference Predictions

I would agree that this team has the ability to go 13-3. However, we are still a little too inconsistent. (By the way, before some jump all over me for bing negative, Coach said the exact same thing after the Ole Miss game) I think we have been trailing at halftime for 8 of our 10 wins. We need to turn in complete game efforts. If we can do that, there is no reason we can't go 13-3. If I had to bet I would go 12-4 or 11-5.

As an occasional reader to your board, I was surprised when I read this thread and saw such lofty expectations for conference record. While the A-10 is admittedly not what it once used to be, I think many SLU fans often underestimate it. One should always keep in mind that it is never easy to win road games in college basketball, regardless of conference. My brief exposure to SLU has led me to believe that SLU typically does very well at home but has its struggles on the road as do most away teams. I therefore thought predictions of 13-14 A-10 wins was a bit high. 10-12 wins is more the norm for upper tier teams in the league most years. The exceptions to this have been the VERY GOOD teams such as some of the Temple and UMass teams and the GW team of last year and SJU team of 3 seasons ago (Elite-8) and this year's SLU team is not in their class.

It seems to me that many SLU sports fans (basketball and soccer come to mind) expect that their team will dominate the league. That is not usually the case with any team.

While SBU is far from a great team this year, the Riley Center in Olean, is usually one of the toughest venues in the conference. Last night during school break in a down season was not really indicative of the typical RC atmosphere. That place can really get wild for Saturday games in Late January and February. It is a very small and tight building (seats less than listed 6,000). The fans are right on top of the players. There have been many crazy incidents there over the years at A-10 games like the cookie throwing at Chaney, Hawk mascot assault, and Martelli having a shouting match with a middle aged femaile SBU fan. SLU fans should not be shocked by a loss there. Get used to it as it will happen more over the coming years. The SBU team ha sbeen playing much better now in the last two games. The Bonnies played Syracuse pretty tough in the Carrier Dome a week before the SLU game.

It is kind of ironic that many SLU fans, after only one full season in the league, have been openly advocating that the A-10 dump teams. The most mentioned team always seemed to be SBU. Now SBU, with its low RPI rating, beats SLU. Any fan talk about dropping teams and expecting a cakewalk through conference play should stop given what transpired last night.

Very good post as I was also amused by the banter of dropping teams. We are in our 2nd year in this league and have yet to show any dominance in it...yet we have folks openly talking about teams to drop??? What a joke!!! Let's start beating all of these bottom feeders on a regular basis before we intimate it is time to whack any of them. As shown last night our program is not so high and mighty, and didn't we almost lose to SBU last year in our own crib. After last night I will take 10 wins in this league this year...gladly!!!