What is our recruiting philosophy?

SLUDrew

Do we even have one?

As of right now we have TWO big men on the roster for next year and to say they are both raw is being very complimentary. Husak has trouble holding the basketball let alone doing anything with it. Knollmeyer is just a freshmen so I will give him a pass for this season, but are we ready for him to be a starter next year? As it stands today, the thought of either of them starting makes me very nervous to say the least.

Currently, we have one of our best guard tandems in years, and they may be wasted next year because we failed to lure any inside players with even a speck of ability. There is no excuse for that.

I know what many are saying, "We have a real nice team this year, why can't we all just enjoy it and worry about next year when it happens?" I am excited about this team, and I am very much looking forward to seeing how far they can go.

However, programs aren't built by assembling one good team and then having an empty cupboard for five years before the next good team comes around. Programs are built by stacking quality classes on top of each other. I can't say whether or not next year's class is quality or not, BECAUSE THERE ISN'T ONE. And if that doesn't anger you then you must be Brad's brother or uncle or something, because you cannot rationalize your way out of it.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree w/ every point you make. Our recruiting sucks. But it's well known it sucks. It's been discussed ad nauseum. All this is going to do is bring out the kool aid club and the ABC'ers to debate/argue/name call the same old crap. Really, it is just time to sit back and see how this season plays out. Leave the recruiting issue until the Spring, because I believe if this team ain't dancing come March...the hot issue's on this board's going to be whether UB should go or stay.

Drew, we have no recruiting philosophy. The African country of Chad has a higher per capita GDP than we have for recruiting. This is a fact that like it or not, we have to accept. However, everybody on this board seems to think that winning and recruiting go hand-in-hand, which is F-ing rediculous. Look at Bruce Weber at Illinois. The guy flat out knows how to coach and win games, but loses out on recruits. Then take a look at the guy running the Illini football team, Ron Zook...guy can't win at U of I, but lands Arrelious Benn and Martez Wilson and immediately has a top 10 recruiting class.

We have Brad Soderberg. A guy who cares about you getting behind the wheel of a quality new or used Lou Fusz car. We wait for recruits to send in their tapes. We don't hit the pavement looking for that Francisco Garcia-straight-out-the-hood-baller-that-just-lost-his-brother-to-a-drive-by-shooting type player. Why not? Who the hell knows, Drew.

We don't get quality players, all of you are satisfied with the product that is on the court right now, and that is sad.

Adam Knollmeyer is at best, a good D-III player. Maybe suits up for Illinois Wesleyan or Augustana. The guy should be thanking God everyday that a Division 1 school offered him a scholarship. Lisch, Liddell and Voyoukas are the only D-1 caliber players on our team. Our mid-season/non-conference slate MVP is Luke Meyer, a guy who if he played at WashU, would have his number retired by now. DeeWayne Polk is a poor-man's Steve Logan, and I mean sleeps in the Keiner East Garage poor. Danny Brown has the body of a D-1 player, but not the attitude or discipline. He's a cancer on this team.

Husak? Don't even get me started.

Not sure why you are asking us this question, I'd recommend sending an email to this address - [email protected].

I really don't understand why these questions come up on the board. Brad makes himself very available to the public on his radio show and the Billiken Club meetings. I've never heard any reports on these tough questions. We have no shortage of posters bitching about recruiting, yet none of them speak to the coach himself? Why is that. It's not that hard. Call the radio or go to Billiken club and report back.

Am I angy as you say? No, not at all. Am I concerned, sure...i think everybody is. But I'd love for somebody to get the hell off the computer, grow a sack, and ask the guy in a public forum. If you guys want to "hold him accountable" then f***ing do it already instead of talking about it.

You "gentlemen" are in love with negativity. The sky is falling and the rest of us are idiots not to see it--that is the mantra, over and over and over. Even at 9-3 we are either terrible this year or will be terrible in the future. The recruiting "sucks" and us kool aid guys who believe that you evaluate a team on how it plays on the court are idiots. Those of us who believe that recruiting is a tough and very competitive process are idiots. Those of us who believe in Brad and support the team and its players are idiots. Why don't you just paste those comments into every post and then we can avoid the constant repetition. I must say you gentlemen must really have difficult lives to be so negative all of the time. Or you must be like Frank Robinson who was so successful in everything that he ever did that he could not abide anyone who was not excellent at every thing. I have basically stopped replying to all of these super negative comments because it makes me sick and upset to the point that my wife doesn't even want me to go to this site any more. She and I are big fans and she long ago stopped reading these posts because they are so negative.

What's your deal with the Fusz stuff? Does the Bradley coach not make commercials or something? Have you never heard of sponsors? I think if Coach K has enough time to make national Amex commercial, Brad can find a couple hours a month to make a fusz commercial. You've been harping on that point for over a year and it's always lame.

"I have basically stopped replying to all of these super negative comments because it makes me sick and upset to the point that my wife doesn't even want me to go to this site any more."

Is that serious? If so, you have bigger problems then reading the thoughts of some people who post objectively, or "negatively" as you call it.

It is absolutely amazing to me that you can keep posting this 4th grade nonsense with no knowledge about anything. You have obviously never played any basketball at any decent level. Your continued insults of the players and the coach are an outrage. I would like to see you make those insulting and demeaning comments face to face to Adam or Luke or even Dwayne, you little coward. The fact that you are even allowed to post on this board is an outrage with all of the racist and other demeaning and insulting comments that you have made. You have made it clear you are an idiot so why not go to another board and start over. You make me sick!

What do you mean?

Ok, he may not respond to an email. But I would find it very hard to believe that if Drew or Hardball stood up at a Billiken Club meeting...a booster meeting...and said "Coach, what is your recruiting strategy?" he wouldn't answer. Furthermore, I highly doubt either one of them have the cohones to say anything they've said on this board to his face. "Coach, why can't you recruit?". "Coach, why are you bringing in D3 players?". "Coach, and I use that term very loosely, why do you suck at recruiting?".

If they did, these questions would have been asked in the, what, 5 Billiken club meetings this year.

DON'T YOU EVER...EVER...EVER MENTION COACH MIKE KRZYZEWSKI IN THE SAME SENTENCE WITH BRAD SODERBERG. DON'T EVEN MENTION JIM LES IN THE SAME SENTENCE. YOU KNOW WHAT THEY DON'T HAVE IN COMMON WITH SODERBERG? COACHING A TEAM INTO THE SWEET SIXTEEN OF THE NATIONAL COLLEGIATE ATHLETIC ASSOCIATION (NCAA) TOURNAMENT. YOU NEED TO BE BANNED.

BRAD SODERBERG NEEDS TO RECRUIT. HE DOESN'T NEED TO PERSUADE YOU OR I OR BILLIKENROY TO BUY A CAR FROM FRIGGIN LOU FUSZ. I UNDERSTAND THE CATHOLIC CHARITIES AD HE DOES. THAT'S FINE. I DON'T NEED A NEW CAR RIGHT NOW.

DON'T YOU EVER COME ON THIS BOARD AND TRY TO COMPARE SODERBERG TO ANY HEAD COACH OUT THERE, ESPECIALLY KRZYZEWSKI. WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU SMOKING/SHOOTING/SNORTING?

Message boards are here to debate topics. But you feel VERY STRONGLY about this. I'm not sure if you've ever said it, but several people talk about "holding him accountable". Talking on a message board in no way does that. If you feel SO STRONGLY about this and are truly angry, then you have an opportunity to make a difference.

But you don't and you won't.

You know what, I'd like to think of my insults at a 5th grade level, Billikan (sic). Coward? Don't call me a coward unless you want to tell this to me, in my face, as you say. Come on, big boy. Pack a lunch and come on and tell me what a coward I am. Please. I'm begging you. I make you sick? Our coaching staff should make you sick.

Why does Billikan take warranted criticism of SLU program so personally? Why does he think that we should confront players face to face? Maybe I'm the only one on this board who doesn't interact on a daily basis with players and coaches, and maybe I'm the only one that is just a fan who just wants to see us do well and has serious concerns.

Our recruiting has been TERRIBLE for next year, face that fact Billikan, it is scary to think of next year. Drew brought up a point and we are debating the topic.

Everyone on this board has to realize that what Billikan says is stated with blinders on, so take that into account when you read what he writes.

You should not read fan forums if they upset you that much. You seem to imply that those of use who dare question Coach have issues. Could it not be just as easily said that those of you who REFUSE to look a the situation objectively have even greater issues? My God, you don't have to be "super negative" to see that there are some real issues facing this team. I am not saying Brad is the anti-Christ or should burn in an eternal hell-fire for God's sake.

While I haven't read all of the posts in this thread, SLU's philosophy is or should be recruit the best available players regardlesws of position right now. SLU is not in a position where they can just recruit for need. They have too many needs. SLU needs two point guards who can see the floor well, create for others, and be able to finish themselves and shoot themselves. They need someone with size who can step out and shoot the ball, and someone who can help IV on the interior, preferrably someone very athletic. They also lack depth at the wing and shooting guard positions. So just recruit the best available players first. It is MUCH tougher to recruit stud big guys than guards. That is just the weay it is...much easier to recruit guards and wings in college hoops. Once SLU gets a little better than can go more for need based recruiting. I am shocked they don't have any point guards. That wouldn't be a bad place to start.

"given the DIRE situation we will be facing next year in our frontcourt, we certainly need to offer any and all QUALITY big men"

My issue is that this has been the situation since Soderberg took over. We have yet to bring in a legitimate power forward and it is the same song year after year. The staff has got to better than this. I will go not further since everytime I post critical comments I get labeled as anti-SLU.

>"given the DIRE situation we will be facing next year in our

>frontcourt, we certainly need to offer any and all QUALITY

>big men"

>

>My issue is that this has been the situation since Soderberg

>took over. We have yet to bring in a legitimate power

>forward and it is the same song year after year. The staff

>has got to better than this. I will go not further since

>everytime I post critical comments I get labeled as

>anti-SLU.

SLU needs a point guard equally as much. Not downplaying other needs...but people seem to be content with Polk, Lisch, Liddell, and that isn't going to get it done. Most underrated position on the floor, and on this board.

To say our recruiting situation is dire is sugarcoating it. It seems to me that Brad has little choice but to go JUCO for some impact big men to compliment KL and TL the next two years. We can't afford to wait around for freshman to develop since these last two clases have turned up empty (spring signing period TBD). While I am confident that we have a great chance to get to 20+ wins this year, I am not confident that the basketball program will continue to improve if our recruiting doesn't improve. We are in a similar position to the 92-93 team that went out and got David Robinson and Donnie Campbell and brought Jeff Harris along. Not superstar players, but solid rebounders and contributers night in and night out that opened up the floor for Clags, Scott, H and Carl Turner to light it up. Thoughts?