an in-person assessment of Saturday

My brother (Marquette grad) was at the game and had good seats (behind Soderberg about 12 rows according to him). He said he saw a little SLU section and was impressed. I guess it is all a matter of perception.

My brother also mentioned that he had no idea initially what they called Fisher for on the 5-second call. When I informed him Homer and George were happily questioning the call on radio, he reflected that it was a bad call then. He officially conceded the game by waiving our bet. In our world this is a serious admission. Basically, no one can justify changing dramatically the course of a game with such a picky call; you have to "want" to make a call like that. I don't think that Josh leading with an elbow is relevant--if it is, make that call--I have no problems with legit contact fouls late in games.

Generally he reported favorably on the Bills and his "crew" were raving about Reggie. (They called when Marquette went up ten early in the second half; I don't think he knew I was listening on radio so I never answered--however had SLU won I would have made a gloating call immediately).

Listening on the radio I thought Mason's success was the difference maker (in the sense I did not expect it).

reggie was guarding mason. he did not block him out for rebounds down the stretch at all and then either he or someone else would foul mason and put him on the line. reggie is spectacular with the ball, but he needs to be more attentive all the time defensively. we have seen instances where reggie just did a great job defensively this year, but he needs to become more consistent.

There is an email newsletter. If you're a Billiken Club member, they ask for your email address, and you'll get it automatically. Since I read the board and think I'm up on everything, I rarely read it; when I do, it's not news to me. I know they mentioned the bus trip at the Tipoff Club - that's always a good source of info. In fact, I think the SMS bus trip is a long standing one, but I've never been. I make home games a real priority; even if it's Saturday night, my wife doesn't make other social plans for me, and doesn't give me any grief. However, when I start to make away games a priority, I will get grief. She's not a fan, nor is it important to me that she be one.

>jjray, dont you get the feeling that the "next year" is

>truly different this time? our recruits are ones that we

>have all truly seen as opposed to just reading press

>clippings or going by coach's account. i am probably more

>excited about "next year" than i have been since the eve of

>the legend's class.

You know, I almost added a parenthetical statement to my post stating that Larry's year was the only time it was different for Bills fans (or maybe Bonner's junior year when Monroe and Roland were seniors).

I'm trying not to let myself get so excited about next year but, of course, I'm very encouraged. Assuming JJ and Izik can cover the 4 (which I believe they can), we have all our major holes filled with 1 scholarship to give. I never remember that being the case. The only caveat to the excitement would be whether Tommie gets a qualifying ACT score. If that happens, we are a much more athletic and skilled team next year. Add an athletic juco PF to the mix or a lights out zone busting shooter with the scholarship and I have to agree that it will be our year.

FYI Blue Crew is planning on sending a 'crew' to both Depaul and Memphis...we are working with the athletic dept to get tix and hopefully will have 30 people min for each trip. This is the first yr Blue Crew is 'officially' sending people to away games but it should continue and I think it will be fun...

DeSmet- We can probably work something out...that goes for any other current student (StLCardinal, etc) as well. I dont want to make a trend of having just anybody come along, but I dont see a problem with adding the true Bills fans. We'll talk once it gets closer. By the way, I'm the one in the blue batting helmet with the pirate eye patch...talk to me tomorrow at the game if you want.