Shootout (12/7/06)

satrap

Just got back from the Pinckneyvile/McCluer North game tonight.

It's still a really good event, with a great history, likely now going the way of the dodo after this year due to lack of sponsorship. I know that was alluded to in the article in the Post yesterday, but it was also emphasized in the official program. Keith Pickett sounds like he's giving up the ghost on this one. Too bad. Time for the Billiken Club Shootout, no?

McCluer North High beat Illinois Class A #1 Pinckneyville by 5 points in evening action. A prototypical "Hoosiers" type game of excellent small school ball vs. major-college-pedigree athleticism. Alas, the Panthers couldn't sink quite enough threes to beat the big-time athleticism of the Stars.

I know Torres Roundtree is the statistical leader, but Femi John is an awesome ball-hawking guard who would be an absolutely fantastic addition to the Bills. Forward Anthony Booker is also an excellent player who likely will be the most recruited of the three. He is long, muscular and athletic and I assume he will be a top 30 type player before all the ratings are said and done.

If McCluer North had a dead-eye three point shooter, they would be impossible to beat. Just a very good team. Cross your fingers on Femi John to SLU.

Oh, also. Me, two of my kids, and their friend went. Admission price: $100. Food: $47.50. Total Games watched: 1 1/2. God Bless America!!!

I don't agree about Booker. He has decent athleticism, not great. He doesn't play big and considering he is not that tall, 6'6 without real long arms or big hands he will never be a top 30 player much less a top 150 player. At best a poor mans Leon Powell.

Agree on Vashon they were down to Alton at half. Didn't see anything from Powell in the first half, he's 6'8'' on the program but he didn't play that tonight-bad shooting (shoots the ball from behind his head, has to jump stop to get a shot off), no real back to the basket game and didn't really impress for all the hype.

I'd post more but I'm too tired...saw everything from St.Charles West to Vashon at half,

I left after the St Chas West game, and I wish UB's son was playing for us now. Kramer, while undersized, is quick, strong, a solid ball handler with either hand, fearless and a great shooter. Really, reminded me a bunch of KL, but with better range on his jumper.

What a great high school player!! Anyone who can, should invest the time and watch him.

I just got back. I stayed for all the games but left at halftime of the vashon game. For the first time in my life (this was my 5th shootout I have attended) I was completely bored and almost looking to leave. The point guard from California didn't even play nor did the two best players for DeMatha and one of the players from Decatur. This event is supposed to be the who's who in high school basketball, this was no where close. Pickett has a writeup on the first page of the program basically saying this will be the last shooutout barring a minor miracle from corporate sponsors and considering the performance of this shootout I don't see any big names stepping forward.

Now that I'm done complaining lets get to some of the individual performances. I had never seen Griffey play so I was really excited. He is long and skinny but definately has some serious skill and athleticism. The hype is for real!

Kramer Soderberg, best performance of the day by far I thought. He finished with 30 points on the day on a variety of finishes. He went to the hoop, hit from deep, and probably shot over 10 free throws. He is really smooth and doesn't get rattled at all.

Other than those two, in my opinion I really didn't think anyone else stood out from the local teams.

The Decatur and DeMatha team had some serious athletes. Decatur just turned into a prep school this year, and they have nine yes nine foreign players on their team. Their big guy from Africa is headed to Iowa. He is a stud, athletic, strong. He'll be a really good player.

Sorry V, Vashon really doesn't look that good. Alton really wasn't playing as well as they can and they looked to be handling them from what I saw. But remember I left at halftime so anything after I can't comment.

Pretty disappointing day though. I hope this thing continues next year. I look forward to it every year, but if it's another repeat of this year, I seriously doubt I'm going to fork over my 50+ dollars next year.

Bonner lacks the experience and expertise to achieve similar results to the great Floyd Irons. While I might not care for his character, his coaching is the best we've seen in this area. While he certainly had talent over the years, I think it was overblown a bit. The beauty of Floyd Irons was his ability to instill a disciplined, well-tuned team on both sides of the court. We will never see the likes of him again.

AJ, I'll disagree with you on Irons. I have seen great coaches at great programs who also teach their assistants the ropes. Even with a planned transition, it takes a few years for a new coach to become solidly established. AB has not been afforded that transition, and the nature of Irons' freelancing ensured no basketball uniforms, balls, Nike contract and a unified fan base. What a guy. Great coaches create a positive legacy, and Floyd never mentored anyone to the point where they might be a threat to him.

If I read anyone saying Floyd is all about the kids, I'll choke. The only things Irons didn't take were the bathroom sinks, and his name off the court.

If you want an example of a class program with an identical disadvantaged profile, drive up to Peoria and visit Manual High. They had an Illinois high school Hall of Fame coach retire(Dick van Syoc,) a new coach step in, and they win four years in a row at state. Their players go off to DI programs, graduate, and take care of business after they leave the college game. Their coaches move up and coach at DI schools. No problem, they go out and hire another great person, coach, and respected community leader. Their students actually live in district, attend school, and graduate. It's a different world due to accountability in the family, school, district, and city, and this under very similar economic duress.

I thought the kid from Afton ... can't remember his name, the pg had good handles is quick and paases the ball very well. He looked like he saw the floor and had a pg's vision and mentality. On the downside ... if you thought Tommie in HS was a little reluctant to just take over the game, this kid really just looked to get his teammates the ball even when they were down early and he fouled out on a silly foul with a little over a minute left. They lost in overtime and I think would have won in regulation had he reamined on the floor. He looks like he could develop into a really good player though. Nice size for a true pg.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

I was at the shootout most of the day. I agree with the positive comments on Kramer S. He reminds me a lot of Kevin. The only thing that will keep him from being a high-level D1 player is size. Needs to either grow 2-3 inches or develop some exceptional point guard skills. Although he handles the ball a lot, his game is more that of a scoring guard.

Griffey is a talent but still a little slow on the defensive end. Still, he's only a Soph. and looks a lot more stronger and athletic than last year.

I liked both Roundtree and John but both of them take the ball to the hoop to score. I didn't see any outside shooting to speak of. John reminds me a little of S. Watts from Jennings.

I thought the DeMatha/Decatur game was one of the best shootout games I've ever seen. It ended with both teams getting put-back slams from their big men. Decatur has two D1 committed players and a ton of foreign players. I liked their soph point guard, Ty Nurse. Decatur might be worth a recruiting visit for us.

I agree the Vashon game was ugly. I left at halftime. Both teams looked ragged offensively. In fairness to Bonner he's only had 6 weeks with these kids, so it will probably get better. Also the refs in that game were terrible, calling fouls on every trip down the court. The players and the fans were getting frustrated. This same thing happened

two years ago when Kevin was a senior and playing the last game of the evening. The refs decided to take over the game and called Kevin for 4 fouls in the first half. If Pickett continues the shootout he needs to tell the refs to let the players play the game.

to on the floor coaching. By the way, he's angry that Bonner took the job and hopes he falls on his face. So Bonner is not an assistant, who has been guided by Irons. It couldn't be FURTHER from the truth. That's another reason why I'm not fond of Irons "the person".

If Irons passed the baton to Meriweather, who was a long-time assistant, then I could see the analogy working. Even though Bonner is a former player under Irons, he's definitely a new regime.