Need SLU/Wash U academic expert historian

courtside

Thank you kindly.

BTW Bonwich...random here and I hope the board will indulge me. I am looking for at least decent to good to great NYC style pizza in the Lou. A buddy suggesteed La Pizza on Delmar....never been there and will try soon. What do you think? And do you know of any other NYC style pizza places in the Lou? And please spare me pretenders if you can. Thanks. What about that place in Rock Hill, hmm begins with an "A"...haven't been there either. Thanks.

There's a "Jersey style" pizza joint in Soulard, behind Chava's Mexican. Name escapes me right now.

Also an "East Coast" pizza in Chesterfield Valley. If you can travel out that far, also in the Valley is a place called Caito's -- multiple styles, brick oven, very, very good IMHO.

For the record, how do you categorize "NYC-style"?

Really disappointed both times I had a Racanelli's, at different locations.

I have had East Coast pizza, was good, not great. And I just recently had Caito's for first time. I was with a group and we had the thin style. It was very good, but not NY style.

My definition of NY style...and I am by no means an expert or pizza snob. I love pizza, all kinds. I just get tired of St. Louis style(thin) and Chicago style(stuffed, deep dish, thin.)

To me NY style is oversized, moderation in sauce(tomato), and cheese(real cow milk mozzerella.), crust is hand tossed, doughy, soft, half inch, not too thick or thin, but gets crisp as you eat it, thin triangle slices, foldable in half, ...doesn't have to be an old coal oven, can be conventional oven but needs some sort of brick enhancement to that oven. Some people yap about the water to make it...don't care about that as much.

I lived in NYC and liked many dive places probably no longer around....but bigger named places....like John's pizzeria(origial in Village, also Theater location next to St. James Theater), Patty Grimaldi's in Brooklyn, or when in Boston, Pizzeria Regina. etc...

Again I am by no means an expert, just lookin for some good NYC style.

In the Lou, I eat at Vito's(he is a life long friend), The few mentioned seemed solid, not NY style but solid. I'll even eat an Imo's and that is fine. I enjoyed Dewey's in Kirkwood. Liking their salads helps too.

Haven't had Fortel's enough to know...but have a few friends who swear by it. Tried Rich and Charlies...okay. I do like St. Louis pizza much better than Chicgo pizza places(lived there too). and no don't like provel....sorry Faratto's.(sp?)

Thanks to Nark for the use of the Billiken

There is no K in the Italian language; ch does it, like in Chianti; or c if followed by an a, o, or u. N ow that you live in SL, you need to know how to spell the Italian restaurants...at least the real ones.

Thanks to Nark for the use of the Billiken

The people who eat thick, very thick pizzas become thick, very thick. Having spent almost 2 months in Italy the past 2 summers, I would have to say that thin crust, chewy, not crisp, is the norm, but I didn't spend any time south of Rome.

I just happen to enjoy tht particular style of pizza. I had it often when living there. It became a favorite. I grew up in St. Louis on all the local haunts, and evenold chains...Pantera's anyone?...lol.

As I said, I won't turn down any pizza unless it has anchovies on it...and I don't prefer or like onions or black olives either...anything else goes.

In the area, I have enjoyed Dewey's...chain I know....Vito's, and just tried Caito's for first time.

Living in Chicago caused me to not enjoy deep dish and stuffed pizza. I do not understand the love affair with Lou Malnatti's, or Gino's or Uno...etc...I must be missing something...no thanks.

Just an opinion and preference. But as I said I can always eat pizza. I could even fire up a frozen one from time to time if had to...

I am hoping La Pizza is closer to what I am looking for.