So you want the Billikens to Run....

Hardball

Three things. First, losing 132-98 sucks almost as bad as losing 68-40. Second Phil Martelli and even our beloved Brad are going to force Pepperdine type talent into so many turnovers that we ought schedule them to see if we can make the Guiness Book. Third, does it seem like Cal is grasping at straws to shake the "less with more" tag.

Brad is the man, for now.

I wonder if it is a simpler version or similar version of the Princeton offence or John Beline's offense at West Virginia. Only with a faster pace, and full-court, full-time pressing.

Being in California they should have no problems getting athletic players for that system. I don't know that it would work at a St. Louis school district/high school besides Vashon but you never know.

I'd love to see a new offensive system or a variation of Paul Westhead's numbered fast break system (if it is).

Definitely excited to see this and will be watching.

I think it's more of a D1 version of what Grinnell (IA) college does. They play in shifts of 5, have 4 shifts and a roster of 20 players, and sub at each media timeout. The idea is to play at an absolute sprint for 40 minutes, and concede easy buckets at times to get the ball back and a quick inbounds pass to a wing. Players are encouraged to take the first good look they get, and the team often winds up shooting 50+ three-pointers a game. And of course, they full-court press at all times. Here's a few links to articles, as "the System" started getting a lot of national press in the past couple years:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writ...innell.preview/

http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/2-9-2002-11366.asp

http://www.ncaasports.com/basketball/mens/story/8141645

westhead had a system? i just thought they threw a baseball pass to the guard who's turn it was not to play defense and he hoisted a three pointer?

Roy, Westhead had a little more complicated system than that. Give the guy a little credit. He only coached an NBA champion, took a team that had only been to two NCAA tounaments to three straight, and advanced to the elite eight. Not a shabby resume.

he coached magic johnson, worthy and kareem in their prime. i believe vtime could win the national championship coaching those guys.

taking loyola marymount with hank gathers and bo kimble, both likely first round picks and nba players if not for gathers death is also not a great accomplishment. i believe the billikens would make the ncaa every year if they had two first round picks on their roster as well.

sorry, no love from me for paul westhead. there is a reason he is no longer coaching in the nba and the ncaa.

Roy, his Laker championship year he had to take over 14 games into the season for an injured coach. He ,also, is the coached that played Majic at center when Kareem got hurt in the finals. Yeah, he had no clue what he was doing.

I always thought that getting players was a big part of college coaching, but i guess I was wrong on that. He also went to two NCAA tournaments and a NIT in his stint at La Salle from 70-79. Then you had to win the conference to get in the dance and the NIT was much harder to make.

Im not saying he is Phog Allen or John Wooden, but give the guy a little respect.

what was so genius about using magic to win? especially considering if i remember the story correctly, magic went to westhead and volunteered.

stepping in to take over coaching that team was no big challenge. his only task was likely staying out of the way. if any team could run on automatic pilot it would be jabbar, magic, worthy, nixon, scott, etc.

you apparently forget that just a couple years after that laker championship, jabbar and magic went to ownership and demanded westhead be fired because he was an idiot. then riley took over.

i have long believed that not having riley those couple of seasons as the head coach might have cost the lakers another championship.

It was Majic who went to Buss to get him fired. Majic didn't like the style. It wasn't up tempo enough for him. It was while coaching in Puerto Rico when Westhead came up with the run and gun style.

An intresting thing about him and Riley, he brought Riley on to the staff. Riley was a Laker brodcaster who didn't seem to have a future in coaching. Weasthead hires him as his assistant and the rest is history.

We will have to agree to disagree about Weasthead's merits as a coach. But, I sure would a took his LMU run at SLU.

brianstl said,

"We will have to agree to disagree about Weasthead's merits as a coach. But, I sure would a took his LMU run at SLU."

well if he brings hank gathers and bo kimble with him i would too.