Excuses for Brad

VTIME

I agree with that 100%. I will take that win as well and I am sure if that was in front of the committee they would have viewed that as a quality win. How a team is playing when you get them is beyond your control. I was mostly using our non-conference record of 6-6 with no quality win, which I was debating with you, to show that there is some potential question to just how good this team is. I am more excited about this season than any season that I can recall, but like to be cautiously optimistic. SLU was not a very good team prior to conference to play and I wonder just how much of their 16 win season can be accredited to playing in a weak conference. It was a thought pattern and questions that I wanted to raise and see how people responded to that concern.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

fgwl said,

"Your mention of Brad's teams finishing in the top half of C-USA every season, except the Bryant/Frericks is kind of laughable to me. That would be 2 seasons in the top half and one in the bottom half, "every season but one" like he has some long track record of success in C-USA, and those first 2 teams were led by Romar players. Brad has no track record of success here at SLU with players that he has recruited."

i.e you are admitting there is not a significant track record. exactly what i said above. we have to create stability and quit changing coaches every 4-5 years.

it is amusing to me that you can pick and choose when a team is quality during the season.

either it is a quality team or not.

and why cant siu's poor shooting be caused by a tremendous effort by slu's defense?

The thing that has me worried was the ability to adjust in certian games to the style we were facing( ie st joes, ud). I think that it was a result of some stubborness on brad's part(I am a brad backer) and running the offense thru two freshmen guards. Hopefully the experience from last your will help both.

if the players you list are as good as the ones you didnt, i.e. the three kids from chicago, the center from minnesota, etc. i would agree, first come first serve. but apparently at this point coach soderberg and his staff believe the other kids are worthly of time to accept first. the danger is getting in too deep on a more talented recruit and being taken to the wire only to finish second and then your list of second choices is indeed all gone (see coach romar while at slu).

if it was simple, we would all be college head coaches.

i contribute st joes massacres to two facts, no decent secondary shooter to take the pressure off of ian and no decent pf to make a few put backs and also take the pressure off ian.

imo, the same two question marks exist and are the key to the season. if we have two legit players step up to play at the same level with liddell, lisch and vouyoukas, we got a team. if not, it will be 2005-2006 repeated.

Roy, that is a point that I had agreed with you on before. I think it is very tough for a coach to come in and make an immediate splash at a program like Saint Louis University. We are a private school that does not play in one of the major conferences and we are not located in a basketball hot bed. The only question I would have is whether or not Brad is the guy to commit those years to. Like I said, this is the make or break year for me for Brad. I have questioned Brad, but never to the point where I thought he should be fired.

The problem that Brad ran into was not that he inherited a bad team it was that he was not able to make a smooth transition from the guys Romar brought in to his own and that was due, in no fault of his own, to losing basically Romar's last two recruiting classes in Pulley, Seifert, Hollins, Kerns, and throw in Edwin as well. He had a strong upper class with guys like Perry, Brown, Sloan, and Fisher and nobody left below them. He had to fill those holes with what could be described as leftovers, although that list brought quality players like Ohanon, Drejaj, and Vouyoukas. So the team had 2 successful seasons with the Romar holdovers and then struggled the next season, as could be expected. The first season of "Soderberg players" was horrible, but it is unfair to really call those guys "Soderberg players" since they were basically last ditch recruits brought in to plug the hole. I feel that this years team is a more fair assessment of a team that Soderberg built. This will be the year where I truly form my opinion on Coach Soderberg. I like the guy, but see this as the year that he has to produce results.

I think it is pretty easy to see when a team is on a roll and when they are not and SIU was defenitely struggling at the time we played them.

I believe those who attended the game would have to admit SIU just missed a lot of open looks. Falker and Shaw missed numerous gimmes and Tatum could not hit anything and he had the open looks. I give credit where credit is due, but SIU just looked awful in that game and I did not feel it was due to anything we did defensively.

vtime you do realize that a 3.4 gpa and a 21 ACT wont even get you into some of the slu major programs let alone approach scholarships.

how much of that percieved "stubborness" is a matter of not having the personel to make significant changes? each year the talent level and depth of the team (with the exception of the frericks bryant injury season) has gotten significantly better. wont it be amazing that his attitude towards game approaches loosens up as well.

fgwl said,

"I feel that this years team is a more fair assessment of a team that Soderberg built. This will be the year where I truly form my opinion on Coach Soderberg. I like the guy, but see this as the year that he has to produce results."

so you admit coach soderberg came into a difficult situation had to take some last second make do recruits for a couple of seasons and NOW has his first real soderberg team.

yet you also expect to win the national championship after just one season of having his true team of players. that seems fair.

Agreed, and that is one of the reasons why I see this as being his make or break season. He does have the guns to expand his pack defense and have more of a transition team and give the guys a little more offensive freedom. The one things that did frustrate me was that last year he came into the season saying that he finally had the personnel to open the game up and run. He said he had athletes to do so, but I seldom saw the results of that. I felt like allowing guys like Drejaj, Lisch, and Polk and even Danny and Tommie to some extent to get on their guys three quarters court and expand the defense a little would have been nice to see. I think that the pack defense bottles guys up a little too much, it is the type of defense for guys like myself who's only defense was their offense.

while i agree we didnt turn into loyola marymount last year, we indeed did get out and go far more than we had in probably any season since spoon was the coach imo.

look at romar. while at slu, his teams were every bit the grinders that soderberg's billikens have been. but he heads to washington, falls into robinson and roy and company and is now a textbook on fast break. get the roster and it will come. i beleive soderberg is approaching that.

>ok, V, here's my feeling on the whole situation that's being

>played out here...

>

>I don't have a problem with you personally, V, but please,

>treat all of us and this board with the respect that you

>want to be treated with. I will certainly be glad to bend

>over backwards to treat you like you treat this board and

>the posters on it. That's a promise.

>

>HOWEVER, pissing contests over who spotted a high school

>stud first, how many times someone has seen somebody play

>and GPAs, ACTs and internships doesn NOT constitute respect.

>

>Additionally, I'm not singling you out here, V. Watch the

>way I interact with other posters on the board. It is

>exactly what I promised above.

Look at the archives. People call me an idiot, loser, moron, all kinds of things. I think I replied to a moron comment yesterday, but that's about it. I never name call. You have to say I've had some class when it comes to people calling me names. I've put up with more than my share of trash talk, and I dont treat people bad on this board, I just state my opinion. Tell me what I did or said to someone that was so wrong? I post too much, I know this. I talk about offering area prospect too much, I know this. But who did I really hurt?

Great post, VTIME. You are finally coming around. Soderberg can't recruit kids to SLU. Forget conferences, forget winning. He can't recruit. Plain and simple. Great post. Keep it coming.

Go shoot another Lou Fusz commercial, Brad. Oh, and keep the Country Club membership. You'll have a lot of time to work on your putting next season when we get Reggie Theus to be our coach.

swing and a miss...

who cares what other posters do; let them be recognized as ignorant. For a while, you had the respect of most people on the board. Go back to that...leave the one-upmanship, pissing contests and name calling to someone else. Don't use them as a scapegoat and don't try to deflect criticism (that happened to be intended as CONSTRUCTIVE) because someone else is an ass.

Be better.

Okay. And with that, I'm locking this thread. It's not because anyone said anything necessarily wrong, and it's not that it has gotten away from SLU sports. It's because it has become long and unwieldy. In my opinion, 97 posts for a thread is far too many. I hate having to scroll so far to get past it or hunt for the new posts.

Feel free to continue the discussion in a separate thread.