2006-07 Prospectus up on website

If SLU is getting turnovers which lead to easy buckets, they are playing solid D. The problem as I saw it with JJ and DB are lackluster play/ poor effort or mental lapses. I can't imagine if constant hounding D which leads to turnovers would be criticized if the occassionally make bad passes or take bad shots.

H Waldman made great steals and great passes. he also made his share of bad passes. So long as it is an overall plus, i don't think BS should or would have a problem with it.

A few insights...

Roger Powell would immediately be the best PF in our league at 6'6" and 235 pounds. He was one cut dude, and had little problem in the B10 at PF. We would be ranked with Roger as our starting PF.

Brad has coached at Wisky, which had an opportunistic fast break team. You will very rarely see an outstanding fast break team in the B10, as the high defensive bar in the league generally precludes such game success. A good B10 fast break team is always in the top 10 in the country.

If we run with an actual PF, Danny better be able to swing the ball a lot better than last year. Brad's motion offense dictates ball movement, and Danny is very d-e-l-i-b-e-r-a-t-e out high. Luke is the only forward who swings the ball well.

"Soderberg said. “We are athletic enough to be a transition team, and it is on our staff to make that happen."

Translation: Hey guys, I was schooled in the ways of half-court grinding and don't really feel comfortable doing anything else. I'm relying on you guys to implement a transition game plan.

David, You don't release the guards on the opponents shot ... they will be standing waiting for the ball at the other end of the floor. They still have to be aware for long rebounds ... you release them on the board. What you don't have is them down low fighting for boards ... they need to get the outlet as they take off. We are not going to rebound and throw it long.

I agree with you we need to be rebounding with are 4 and 5 the majority of the time. I also agree we need to be more flexible on D and pressure the ball not just sometimes ... often.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman and loyal subject of Billsboy and all ex D1 players and coaches everywhere. You da man Billsboy

because the coaches help coach? It seems to me he is talking about his staff ... him and the assistants ... I will go out on a limb and assume he is going to have them help in putting in and coaching any system the Bills may use.

spinning that statement to assume that he was relying on his asst's to implement a transition game is quite the reach. Lets give the guy some credit.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman and loyal subject of Billsboy and all ex D1 players and coaches everywhere. You da man Billsboy

>the illini had 3 nba guards shooting and running the floor

>as well in head, brown and williams and an nba power forward

>in augustine. that is a lot of talent to spread the

>statistics around with. and it is pretty hard to compare

>talent to that level.

>

>do you think the current billikens have 4 players that will

>be in the nba by july of 2008?

I dont know why July 2008, but Tommie, Kevin, and Ian could all get drafted.

I think the only thing we're in disagreement on here is the extent of the assistants' contribution to the transition game plan. Since Brad has been grinding it out in the half court ever since he's been a D-1 coach, I think the assistants will be largely responsible for implementing the transition game plan. You probably think the split is more like 50/50. The truth is we'll never know.

>A few insights...

>

>Roger Powell would immediately be the best PF in our league

>at 6'6" and 235 pounds. He was one cut dude, and had little

>problem in the B10 at PF. We would be ranked with Roger as

>our starting PF.

>

>Brad has coached at Wisky, which had an opportunistic fast

>break team. You will very rarely see an outstanding fast

>break team in the B10, as the high defensive bar in the

>league generally precludes such game success. A good B10

>fast break team is always in the top 10 in the country.

>

>If we run with an actual PF, Danny better be able to swing

>the ball a lot better than last year. Brad's motion offense

>dictates ball movement, and Danny is very

>d-e-l-i-b-e-r-a-t-e out high. Luke is the only forward who

>swings the ball well.

Best pf in our league. This coming season or last year when there was Withers and Smith? There have been a lot of successful pf's in college basketball that were around 6'5 205. Not all were big time scorers, some were intangible guys like Jeff Hafer. The year he started for Mizzou, he was a joy to watch. I'll never forget some of those surprising athletic moves he pulled off. It's 90% likely that Luke is full time 3 now, I just know we would be our most effective with 4 three point shooters on the floor around maybe the best big man in the league. Teams would have to pick their poison. I dont care who the 4 shooters are. I know the backcourt is TL, KL, with DB, LM, and DM at the SF. As long as AK can knock down perimeter shots, Ian can operate with space. If none of our 4's can make outside shots, I want Luke back the pf with DB, and DM at the sf. I have no problem with Dustin as an opening day starter like Sloan was as a freshman. I'll be happy with an opening day lineup that has 2 sophs, 2 frosh and 1 senior. If instead of 2 frosh, its 2 juniors, I still would be happy. We have a big 3 and haven't bee able to say that for a while now. It would've been interesting to see what would've happened if Brad had played Fish, Bryant, Sloan and Ohanon together. That would've been some big 4.

It's a pretty safe bet to say that this will be our opening day starting lineup. IV, AK, LM, KL, and TL. Those are guys Brad would trust. Even though he usually goes with his seniors he doesnt trust JJ and AK is the prized recruit who we were holding out for. We have a deep bench with BH, OI, HD, and JJ on the frontline, and DB, DP, and DM in the backcourt. That's depth. People say this is our year, and it's a great opportunity with 3 all-conference caliber guys, but I would think TL, and KL's junior and senior seasons will be really special with young guys 4 current frosh along with them for the ride.

I think your point of view here might be skewed by how much running you want the Bills to be doing...a step or two up from last year, or a jump to forty minutes of hell?

I think a step or two up would be great, personally, but we finished third in the regular season with a slower offense. Not too shabby.

Actually I'd assume that any game plan is 80% UB's ... his coaaches will help implement the plan ... and will have alot to do with how well the team adjusts to and runs whatever offense or game plan is installed. Regardless of what he has coached, he has been around the game for what 30 years as a player and a coach. Knowing and implementing an offense isn't that tough ... now getting the players to perform at the level needed is much more difficult and the entire staff will be responsible to get that done. I'm sure that much of the individual coaching is done by the Asst's ... and I'm 100% sure that is what he meant by his statement.

It just seems like any and everybody is just looking to find a reason to knock Brad and your interpretaion of his statement imo ... was quite a stretch ... and to be honest surprised me as you always seem to be one of the most level headed posters on the board ... not that we always agree ...

I think brad knows he has to push the tempo even more this year. He's not just coaching for this year, but for the upcoming recruiting classes (especially 'o8 an '09." If this year is a grinding mess (regardless of record), his critics and competing recruiters will clobber him and the chances of getting players such as suggs, brandenburg, roundtree, swopshire, griffey, etc... will go up in smoke.

You all remember in about '88 or '89 when grawer instituted the loyola-marymount system. that was done not only to increase the tempo and play more fan-friendly basketball, but it was done for the likes of winfield, highmark, claggett, jamal johnson and the other top high school recruits who grawer wanted to come to slu.

brad doesn't have to be as extreme as rich in this regard, but he has to change his perception (and win at the same time). he has the group of kids in '07 that can:

win games and play fan-friendly basketball

continue to put more butts in the seats

to to postseason play (hopefully, the ncaa)

impress future recruits.

If brad can accomplish those things next season, he will be sprinting into the new building in '09 with a bullet. if not, he's going to short-circuit his career at slu. and is he loses his gig here, it will be hard for him to get another good one because of the perception about how he likes to play.

the best part of it is that he has local players such as TL, KL and DP that can play exciting basketball and attract more people to games because everyone loves the local players. That plus having the best center in the league and a potential NBA draft pick is icing on the cake,

bad boyz for life

I think we all know he has to push the tempo more, my problem was with the idea that UB couldn't not wouldn't, couldn't implement it and had to turn that responsibility over to his Asst's because he couldn't do it.

I've been saying along with everyone else that tempo needs to be increased.

yea ... he's down to 225. Looks good, but seems a little weak. I dunked on him last night.

we should force more turnovers. Kinda ridiculous how few fastbreak points we get. That's why we never have any momentum and can't come back on anyone if we fall down. If we played like we played against Charlotte every game next season, the NCAA Tourney is a lock. Turn em loose Brad. Dont squeeze them so tight and maybe they wont squeeze every shot so tight and make some shots. We have 6 able bodied bigs and 4 wings wings with starting experience. Time to move to the next level. From pretender to contender.