Louisville 2, Saint Louis 0

StlCardinal

Just got back from the game tonight, and obviously it didn't turn out like we would have hoped. After a scoreless first half, Louisville scored about midway through the second, and then added another late goal to seal the deal. The Cardinals had considerably more shots, and the Bills couldn't convert on the few chances they had. I'm not a serious soccer fan, so I'll let the experts do any further analysis.

I must say that Will John is an amazing player. However, I thought he missed a great opportunity when he had a 2 on 1 with Vedad right on the wing. Instead of passing it to Vedad, he took an awkward left-footed shot that was just wide of the goal. The announcers said that Vedad is a right-footed shot, so he wouldn't have been able to get a good shot from the left side of the box, however he had so much space on the upper left-hand corner I thought he'd be able to finish it from there.

As for Louisville's first goal, there was nothing Hutton could do with that rocket of a shot from the top of the box. Then the second goal at the end of the game was a thing of beauty with Williams juking two defenders just outside of the box and with Hutton having to play the short cross, Williams simply went short side with the goal.

Overall, I'm not that disappointed with the game. I thought Louisville played very strong in the box and counter-attacked very effectively. I agreed with the announcers when they thought SLU should have attacked the wings more aggressively. When they attacked the middle, they were simply bottled up by the veteran Cardinal D.

This game was more dissapointing than the WIU game as we controlled most of the play. We missed too many easy opportunities to score. A

1-1 with the keeper by Vedad in the first half. A 2-1 opportunity we didn't even get a shot or a pass off, and then the opportunity spoke of above. On that chance Will should have shot earlier ...not a fancy touch shot ..but a blast low ... and then Vedad follows for the rebound and touch in ... simple.

I was across the field from the final goal so I didn't see it ... but this is a fact .. a keeper never gets beat near post. Goalkeeping 101.

This is not sour grapes I try to be very objective ... but this was the worst reffereed soccer game I have seen in years ... Louisville had a clear handball just outside the box on the right side 10 feet in front of the linesman no call. 3 minutes later another in the box on the left side ... another ball 6 inches over the touch line was let play ... should have been our corner, again right in front of the linesman. NO EXCUSE FOR THIS.

Also a lot of extra curricular activity by Louisville behind the refs back after the play ... no help from linesman.

I'm out of time so I will write a more in depth analysis later.

Just a few more notes on the game.

Vedad is a detriment to the team if he cannot keep his emotions under control. As soon as he gets angry he tries to hard to take on the entire other team 1 on 3, 4, 5. doesn't matter he will not give the ball up until he loses it and we lose a possession.

Brian Grazier had a fantastic game. He ran the show, he frequently came to the other defenders and got the ball and advanced it confidently either on the dribble or with sharp well placed passes.

We controlled most of the play ...probably more than 60-40. but simply stated ... Martin cannot give up that last goal ... especially if it was near post. We need to use our wings more ... John D needs to get wide more he is a tremendous crosser. AND LAST ...WE MUST FINISH BETTER. Out of 3 tremendous 1 or 2 on 1 chances we netted 0.

I think we are finding out the hazards of a team with 6 or more starting freshman.

I still do not know what is up with Nick Gannon ... One of the asst. coaches said he was hurt ... but I didn't get how badly. So I have no idea for how long.

Maybe Coach needs to pull Vedad when he gets angry. Talent is important, but not without maturity and teamwork.

Due to our lack of performance this past week I think we will not be ranked in the top 10. I hope the team can regain its focus soon.

Vedad: If all he can do is go to his right, a good defender will stone him time and time again. I like his talent and nose for the goal, but he also has to learn that when he has three defenders on him there has got to be someone open for a pass.

John D: Someone mentioned this but we kept funnelling the ball through the middle of the eighteen and not using our wings especially John D. I'm not sure if he ever really had a cross after a run down the flank. He's a hell of a player though. Smart. He got really pissed when that Louisville player slid into him, cleats up during the second half.

Wickart: How many of his passes went straight to a Louisville player? It was driving me nuts. All his passes are 15 yards or more. He's having a very off year so far.

Hutton: The first goal was a fluke. I'm surprised he was even able to make some sort of attempt to stop it. The second goal was his fault though. I was behind the forward as he took it toward the near post and I saw the opening between Hutton and the post and thought to myself "This guy's gonna shoot right through there." And sure enough he did. But Hutton is not getting good defensive play in front of him.

Will John: Slick. Great shot in the second half. The louisville goalie made a highlight reel save on it. But damn Will, mix it up. Any fifty ball that involoves bumping another player, he backs off of. This is college ball. Get in the trenches and fight for that ball.

Grazier: I agree with someone on his play. He is very good and sees the whole field. I think he should be playing sweeper instead of Pusateri. Puateri is just in the wrong spot. He needs to be on the flank.

Overall, anyone can see the talent we have out there but we've hit a rough patch. Growing pains I guess. The defense has been pretty ugly. This is a three year project though.

I don't think it is a three year project. We have too much talent.

I've been saying exactly what you just said for a while. Especially Wickart ... I think he is strong in the air ... but he is not quick footed and constantly looks to boot the ball down field instead of controlling play. This game was not as bad as others .. he had been holding the ball too long and getting a lot of passes blocked.

I think Grazier was playing sweeper ... If he did not line up there, he certainly filled the role ... He was the brightest spot in the game .... he looked tremendous.

Sluballs... If you were right behind the final goal ... you were in the opposite corner from me. What was your take on the hand ball ...could you see it?

Was Vedad getting kicked and stepped on after the play a few times ..or was he overreacting ... I wasn't watching either time

I'm not sure what hand ball you're talking about regarding teh second goal. The louisville player just juked two of our defenders and took it to the near post. i did hear the crowd go ballistic a couple times in a span of two minutes when SLU ad the ball in Louisville's end toward the end of the game. I'm guessing there were some no calls.

I thought Vedad was overreacting. What does he think a defense is going to do to a 6'2 forward coming right at them? They're gonna get as physical with him as possible and take him out of his game. He's a marked man out there and he needs to realize it. He did have a legitimate gripe in the first half when he took on 3-4 defenders and everyone fell, the ref blows the whistle, and calls a foul on Vedad. The ref sucked.

Sorry ... I wasn't clear the handball was on the other end ... obviously you didn't see it. From my understanding what was pissing Vedad off was that he got kicked a couple of times while down after the play. My point was even if he did ... he cannot let it change his approach to the game. There are other ways to settle that score.

SLUBALLS, some good points there...and greetings Skip..

Pusateri has played a wing back in the past. His speed is his strong suit, especially recovering. I like him.

Grazier played defesive midfield in the games I have seen him. He plays a quiet solid game. A lot of poise for a frosh....same with John D.

Yes I too would like to see the ball moved up wide...

Sounds like a typical rut for young club, learning, zero, ZERO surprise here, or panic. I thought they would be top 20, not top ten...but those big wins early, more than gave them some ground...they should not drop too far because of their wins.

Ahh Vedad...cultural thing added to that. He is from a different culture. He has the talent...too much, but has a lot to learn about his temper and team play.

And for W John...typical frosh getting knocked around...and learning...give them a year to get accustomed to it....it is a major transition for these guys...and to be top 10 is pretty darn good.

Marquette should be easy...but they always play SLU tough...they have good keeper...beat SLU last season...but at SLU, should be a pissed off rout for SLU...and then cupcake DePaul next wed...who stinks.

Maybe they will settle down a little.

Hey courtside ... Like I said I didn't notice wher Brian G lined up but defensive midfielder is probably the right call ... though in this game he really took control and distributed the ball well and even advanced it on the dribble very confidently.

Vedad ... has been in the states for a couple of years at least. He is really just hot headed ... but in his defense ... I thiink he was kicked while down a couple of times and what 18 year old wouldn't lose their temper ... just that this seems to be a continuing thing. I saw Coach talking to him 1-1 a couple of times ... I'm sure they are working on it.

I seriously doubt that Will will ever develop into a dig the ball out type of player ... I think you have to have the mental makeup for that type of play ... now he can and I'm sure will get stronger and improve ... he will also improve his strengths and od course as the team plays together longer will learn to utilize him differently.

I'm sure that coach D is more than aware of the weaknesses of Will and Vedad. They will improve and the best is not even close to being here.

Any word on Peplinski ... or Nick Gannon

SLU vs Marquette Wed night. UAB defeated Marquette 3-2 over the weekend...so while Marquette has struggled, they can upset SLU if SLU doesn't come out hard. From what I have heard, it was 50/50 game, and UAB is strong. I would hope for a 2-0, 2-1, 3-1 win type of game. Marquette shocked SLU 1-0 last year. No time to feel sorry for yourself. Need to clean it up in back...eventually they will finish up top.

All I know is Peplinski suffered what was believed to be mild concussion and sat out past 3 plus games...he can really play by the way.

Gannon, don't know.