SLU 2, South Florida 1

In reading the media accounts, it looks like we put a whipping on South Florida. Maybe the team is finally starting to gel. I would love a first hand account from anyone who was there. 5,500 fans. That is remakable!!!

Schasz,

What the heck happened to your Vols today??? Yikes!

At least Ron Zook gets to keep his job for another week.

I was there and followed the game pretty extensively, as I am writing about tonight's game for the University News.

Basically, SLU dominated play. They had 24 shots to USF's 7 and 10 corner kicks to USF's 4. USF took a halftime lead with a goal in the last minute of the half. SLU's best chances came when Will John and Vedad Ibisevic each hit the left post once.

In the second half, Ibisevic scored on a header off a corner kick from John DiRaimondo to equalize. Will John scored the winner in overtime.

By the way, Coach Donigan was elated with the his team's play tonight.

The freshman showed last night why it is an exciting time for billiken soccer. It was the best soccer that SLU has played at home this year. You want nice ole' SLU ball? Well you got it last night and it was a beauty to behold. The passing was crisper, quicker, and usually on target. We actually took shots when we had to whether at the eighteen or at the six.

The first half was just fun to watch. We lit up the USF goal like it was x-mas already. Just couldn't get the damn ball into the net. Credit the USF goalie and defense for keeping them in the game. The goal we allowed was just a very quick long ball that A USF guy tracked down at the goal line and sent to the middle of teh eighteen for one of his teammates to slot in. Defense got caught pure and simple. But even with that goal and our numerous missed opportunities, you knew we would come out in the second half and take it to them and get a goal or two.

I don't know if anyone else saw this but before the corner kick inthe second half that Vedad scored on, he was jawing quite a bit with USF's number 3. A lot. And then John serves that cross and Vedad heads it in. I don't know if he called it but he sure gave #3 a couple words as he tracked back to the centerline.

Anyway, SLU dominated pure and simple. Again it was great to see them hold off an attack when it was falling apart and dump the ball back to the defense and start over. I know my report is more of a macro level report but I know some people do a better job at the micro level so I'll stop here.

Greetings gents...short on time here, checking in...others have provided quality reports, so we don't need anything extensive from me. My very thoughts:

Organization, much better in recent few games, good spacing. The lineup rotation is settling in nicely, and getting more consistent. Conisistency is important. The frosh are getting the chance to play.....basically Benne, Gannon, Guffey, Pusateri in back, Grazier, McKee, John d, Mateson in midfield, John and Vedad up top...Peplinski, Spiess off bench...although it was mixed a little different last game, similar type of rotation. Wileman is a spark plug off of bench.

Vedad's goal...as I said last report, he is terrific at flick ons, especially near post, head or feet. John d targets him often. If John d by the way, can hold the ball a little better to go with his service and set pieces, he would be even better. Vedad is learning to hold ball back to goal, turn and shoot, instead of doing too much. I like that a lot.

I think it is good to get Sackamn some time in goal...he hsn't had much to do last two games, so that helps too.

no margin for error...a lot of those ot wins could be ties and changes everything...

Soon, some of those missed shots will start going in, and there were plenty Sat. John will start nettng those.

Big one at Cincy next weekend. SLU looks to be in good shape...tight games, but wins are wins.

...btw I like knocking the ball back to reorganize if USF is sagging back...but in general I am not a fan, unless it is necessary to change it up. SLU had right balance for this Sat.

Losing the long balls, short interior passing moving forward...

other games btw...Louisiville a winner and Memphis a winner, Depaul and E Carolina losers. Marquette only has two conference games left,...I believe and needs a loss.

#6 team lost, helps....So far, UCLA and Maryland to me...and maybe UNC, are the very top teams, with SLU...

Get the homefield, and then beat a Creighton or SMU or whomever and take care of business in playoffs at home this year, because those clubs while always good are not as good as SLU this year. all you can do is set yourself up for all home games to final four. Win conf and tourney...and they will get it. That is what they are playing for.

But for now...a win against Cincy is very big on road.

Thanks for the report Courtside.

Seems I missed one of their better games.

I have to miss the Cinci game also as I am going to Ames to meet my family from Arlington Tx. to watch the Longhorns play Iowa St in Football. They are all huge UT fans and I don't see them often enough so it should be fun ... nothing like the atmosphere around a big time college football game.

Still I wish I could see SLU - Cinci soccer