Request of Regular Billikens.com Posters: PLEASE READ

SluSignGuy

Everyone-

Billikens.com has gotten more popular than ever over the summer, and especially with the season coming around Billikens.com is getting more and more traffic. Essentially we may run into a little problem.

Allow me to explain. Each month, my Web Host allots Billikens.com 10gigabytes worth of download a month (bandwidth). Whenever you load any page of Billikens.com, you are chipping away at that 10gigabytes. As long as I have had Billikens.com, I have never even come close to reaching this Bandwidth limit, although we are on our way in October.

It is the 12th of October and we have used 5.2 Gigabytes of Bandwidth so far. Please note that we used 5.0 Gigabytes as of the 10th (weekends are the slow periods of Billikens.com). So in 2 work weeks, we used half of our allotted bandwidth. We have 3 work weeks to go, and only 4.8 gigabytes left to use. If we hit the 10 gigabytes, I either can shut down Billikens.com for the rest of the month, or pay .04 per megabyte downloaded after that. So at the rate we are going, I would have to pay $100 more for that traffic.

I don't know why this month has so much more downloading than any before (we have never had more than 7gigabytes ever), but it has me a little concerned. Therefore to chip away at the amount of downloading, I have made the site: http://www.billikens.com/board/

When you go to http://www.billikens.com/board/ you bypass the front page and go straight to the board. Therefore, people are not downloading the front page all of the time, but just the board. It will hopefully reduce the amount of downloading enough so that we do not hit those 10gigabytes.

I am very sorry for this inconvience, but I never expected for us to have this problem. It is sort of a problem because of good things. Sort of like you want people to show up to a presentation, but so many people show up that they can't fit in the room. So if everyone could from now on just go to http://www.billikens.com/board/ instead of www.billikens.com when you just want to read the board, it would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

steve i have always been a big billikens.com "salesman". tell a friend and tell them to tell a friend, kind of thing. i assume a lot of us do this. should we stop? i.e. just our big secret?

Steve,

The board is a great one and getting more popular as evidenced by the increased number of posters and posts. I appreciate your attempt to save memory, but I feel we (posters) should be prepared to contribute so the board can move to the next level. I am not in favor of limiting posters or posts.

Do not stop telling people about Billikens.com WHATSOEVER and DO NOT think you have to visit less. I am sorry if it came out that way.

Just to help us trim down the amount of downloads, at least for this month, just go to billikens.com/boards/ instead of billikens.com if you can remember. If you forget, don't worry, it will not be the end of the world. All it is, is a preventative measure from us exceeding our limit.

Always feel free about telling anyone about Billikens.com, always.

Steve

>I am not in favor of limiting

>posters or posts.

I do not want anyone to change their posting habits. If you visit the board 30 times a day, keep visiting the board 30 times a day. You post 20 times a day, post 20 times a day. Just the only thing I am asking is that when you do decide to sit down at you computer and go to Billikens.com to post on the board, just type in your browser http://www.billikens.com/board/ instead of http://www.billikens.com, This will bypass the front page, and send you directly to the board.

Hopefully this is clearer, I apologize for the confusion.

Steve

Actually it is just 4 cents a megabyte after I go over my limit. But I was saying at the rate we were going (7.5 gig more than where we are now, therefore 2.5 after the limit), I would have to pay $100. I will look at the numbers, and see what is the best deal (I can also upgrade my account for $30, but then I have to pay $50 a month), but I know of a better bandwidth deal out there (although I get less space on the server, but that should be okay for now), so I may switch to another web host if this proves to be a problem in November as well. I would switch right now, but I honestly cannot devote that much time to Billikens.com at the end of this month, but I can hammer away at it on Thanksgiving break.

I am just hoping this is a one time thing, and we will be back to normal in November, and we won't have any problems til later.

Sorry for the confusion.

Steve

Those are reasonable fees. I thought the situation was one where you automatically got hit with an EXTRA $100 if the site was one bite over 10 gig for the month. I really think forum use is going to go up during the season so maybe you ought to put out the word for more donations.

I have never seen a deal that good. Do you use them thicks? If so, have you ever had any problems!?

I would switch today (My next payday for ValueWeb is tomorrow), and I just do not have time to switch tonight. But I probably will by next month.

But if you use them, I would love your thoughts.

Steve

Yes, it is my host for T.E.D. Ministries on the Web. I've had very few problems. And any problems I've had were related to domain name handling or cgi misconfiguration that I could handle myself via FTP. Pretty much my only complaint is that the server located in the Eastern time zone and the server's clock is wrong and out of my control.

The increase must be due to the new posts on soccer and/or D-1's thread "Who is everyone." Bill 'em! LOL

Enjoy both and encourage all posts. I will be happy to comply with your request. However, consider taking the board to the next level before the season begins because billiken fans are catching the fever for SLU.

They are a Unix server I assume right? Just wondering, and you have had minimal problems with DCForum over there? If so, I will switch next month. I just cannot do it now, I have about 60 pages of reading of text, and about 40 of primary sources, and the billing cycle is tomorrow. But thank you very much for telling me about this.

Steve

Thanks for the offer, but I recieved a generous amount in donations back in August through September, so I have a fair amount of money to keep the site up. I will probably switch to Thicks' host next weekend or the one after (we should make it that far). So I will theoretically lose about 10-20 dollars, but with the bargain of thicks' host. We make up for it.

Steve

PS Thicks, the host allows SSI right?