posters from the valley board

former_d1

i'll rest just fine, but that still doesnt prove that you are anykind of a billiken fan. please enlighten us as to the last time you said anything that wasnt condenscending or negative about the billikens on this board.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

reread my posts on this thread - i don't think i really said anything negative about the bills - in fact i have been very positive about the future. I am also a realist about the past and present. Unlike you - i think the Romar years were a failure and that he failed to live up to his promise. i think that the bills are currently saddled with a bunch of crappy choices about their conf affliation. i am also on record since the beginning saying that the A10 seemed to be the best situation out of all of these.

i have been very positive about brad.

i am enthusiastic about the new arena.

i think that the recruiting this year has been outstanding.

i also think that you won't accept anyone who isn't billiken fan extreme to the extent that you are.

i am a very big creighton fan - hell that is no secret - look at my handle. and if people are going to attack my jays and their conference - of course i am going to defend them - much like you would the bills and CUSA.

in fact as i am typing this from the home office i am wearing a reebok "Spoonball" T-Shirt. maybe i should dig out one of the billiken NCAA rings that was given to me - would that make me a better fan?

sorry i don't measure up to your standards roy.

defend the jays on the jays board...that is fine with me. on the billiken board, you can come here and speak down all you want to billiken fandom, but then dont be all "banging my head on the wall" when the likes of thicks and me just dont see your jays are the best the billikens are with the rest b.s.

p.s. i am real impressed you are sitting around in spoon gear and wearing a spoon ring. why dont you go on over to the unlv board and kiss his a$$.

i dont really see where anyone on the board is jumping in and agreeing with your condenscending line much. it isnt just me. like i said, maybe you need to go cheer on the runnin' rebels. since your old friend is over there now.

not even close to being my point.

i think you may have lost all your objectivity...

seriously - go back and read what i said - let me give small recap.

torch said SLU would win MVC.

I said that was arrogant - and explained why. nothing in my explanation had to do with why CU is great and SLU isn't.

you got mad. and inferred the above.

i said nothing derogatory about SLU - was merely trying to explain the feelings on the MVC board which had been previously discussed here. most of the things that i brought up regarding bills - are things that are oft discussed here - for some reason - you don't like to hear them from me.

Yes we would win the MVC this year and probably almost every year we were in the conf. However, we shall never know and that is the good part. Am I being arrorgant or just stating an opinion, an opinion that can never be proven so I can say whatever I want. I could say SLU would go undefeated in the MVC. But hey that is me I always think that SLU is going to go undefeated. One day it will happen and I'll be right.

The problem with most of the MVC fans posting here is that they feel slighted because we don't want the MVC. Sorry, I don't get Charter Cable and it is nice to watch 2-3 games a year and the Conf. Tourny on TV. It is also nice to not have to win the conf. tourny in order to get into the tourny. It is also nice to get Double the $$$ for being in a more prominent conference.

ok - now let's have an intelligent discussion about this -

would SLU win this year - i think don't think so. but would most likely finish in top 4-5.

based on the following:

questions at the point - lets face it - loss of marquee is HUGE. he probably handled the ball 70% of the time - was the only player who could really create his own shot - and provided all the clutch scoring last season. the questions here are - who will handle the ball - who will provide defensive pressure on the ball. who will pick up the scoring that he left behind. and who will provide the clutch scoring (ie - shot clock expiring - end of game pull up your jock shots like he did against marquette). Simply stated - MP was by far the best thing going for the bills last year - i think it is going to be tough to replace him - though not saying it can't be done.

Currently - bradley, WSU, and probably SMS have better backcourts than SLU (IMO).

Frontcourt - to me this depends whether or not IO plays PF - if so - rebounding and toughness will be an issue since mixing it up, defense and boarding are not his strong suit. he does create an interesting defensive matchup there - much like korver did for CU last year - being able to step out and nail the three. korver was a smarter defender and better rebounder than IO though. KB loss will be tough too - he had a big physcial presence that maybe tough to replace.

Currently - Creighton, Il St when transfer becomes eligible at semester, Northern Iowa have better frontcourt than bills (IMO).

I also think that Brad while showing a lot of promise is still a question mark until he has established himself for a couple of seasons. I definitely think that he is on the right track as his lack of experience is my only knock on him.

Bills depth is a little suspect depending on how the redshirts are handed out. Personally I think Brad should stockpile some of these guys and really look to next season.

WSU is going to be very very good - turgeon is really proving himself as a great recruiter and a very good coach. jamar howard is as good a defensive player in the country. their PG fridge holman is really something when on his game - he has a ton of streetball in his game (he is from NY) but if he is playing team ball - he is frightening. They have solid post up game with miller who is really a horse.

CU - will have 3 5th year seniors in the post and will likely be an inside out team this year. while some think korver will be toughest to replace - i very much disagree. bowden who was backup pg will be - and i think altman found someone who can be defensive stopper like bowden in juco johnny mathies (yup "chances are" that is really his name). scoring from korver will be picked up by everyone. i don't think CU will have a dominant scorer this year - instead having a number of guys who will avg between 8-12 ppg. number of these guys can go off any night and drop 20+ depending on what the defense gives up. i have yet to see creighton outcoached and with DA on the bench - i expect the jays to always be in the mix.

Bradley - sommerville is a BIGTIME player. he was top 60 or so coming out of HS. Phil gilbert is a local St louis product who is a very good basketball player. Jim Les is in a similar position to me as brad. he had his first year with last years squad and looked pretty good - just need to see more. bradley is a little thin in the post - and depth may not be what it needs to be - but with gilbert and sommerville - they should be in almost any game.

SMS - i would venture to guess that most of you know about SMS squad. They have pretty much everyone back and are very very talented and deep. IMO their drawback is "the lil general" coach barry hinson - who i have not been impressed with at all. he has done a great job getting talent to springfield as alford left the cupboard bare - but he has to do better in his preparaion and game day coaching etc.

SIU should be pretty good - but has way too many questions IMO. new coach - loss of dearman and kid kent is a lot to overcome. but if painter does ok learning on the job - and the talent jels - they could be NIT team.

now - why do you think that SLU would win MVC?

The Point that you seem to be missing is that SLU is not going to be in the MVC so it doesn't matter whatsoever.

Top 4-5 in the Valley? Please, how about top 4 in CUSA with a team last year that had many more questions that this years team does. SLU should be in the top 5 in CUSA this year and be in the post season (hopefully NCAA).

but you are unwilling to back up your claim that they would win the MVC with any insight, facts etc?

by top 4-5 - i mean that if the breaks go against the bills - and that the questions aren't well answered - they would finish 4th or 5th. if they can provide solutions for the questions i asked above - i would expect them to finish near the top - but i think that this season WSU is a superior team.

but if your point is just to spew things like that - and it can't be proven because the bills won't be in the MVC and you arent interested in intelligent discussion.

then creighton would easily win CUSA or A10 this season.

You continue to down some of us for making unintelligent points but you are the one that took a while to catch on. Your arguments are moot. SLU won't win the MVC next year becaue SLU won't be in the MVC (get it). However, FACT: SLU did finish top 4 in the CUSA a much better conference and OPINION: SLU had many more question marks last year than they do this year. Therefore REASONABLE CONCLUSION: SLU should/could finish in the top 4 in CUSA this year. Furthermore, RATIONALE SPECULATION: CUSA will once again be a better conference than MVC.

To reiterate, your arguments are moot because SLU won't be in the MVC. We don't want you; you don't want us then what is there to discuss? Well, maybe you secretly do want us? Hmmm? If you love something let it go, if it comes back to you it's yours if it doesn't it was never meant to be. Maybe it is time you let go.