cujaysfan, you are NOT a Billikens fan!

(This is a response to the latest installments of the "posters from the valley" thread that has grown very long and very intense.)

"questions at the point - lets face it - loss of marquee is HUGE. he probably handled the ball 70% of the time - was the only player who could really create his own shot - and provided all the clutch scoring last season. the questions here are - who will handle the ball - who will provide defensive pressure on the ball. who will pick up the scoring that he left behind. and who will provide the clutch scoring (ie - shot clock expiring - end of game pull up your jock shots like he did against marquette). Simply stated - MP was by far the best thing going for the bills last year - i think it is going to be tough to replace him - though not saying it can't be done."

While the loss of C-USA first-teamer Marque Perry looms very large, the question marks are not as stark as you paint them. Perry handled the ball a lot AGAINST THE PRESS, but he was not the point guard and he didn't initiate the halfcourt offense. Josh Fisher (who led the team in assists) and Anthony Drejaj handled and retain those roles. Second, Reggie Bryant will fill the role of the go-to guy. He's a scorer and a much better shooter than Perry. If you were a Bills fan, rather than just a distant, somewhat interested observer, you would know these things. Also, the Bills will score more points as a team this year, meaning they'll more than replace the departed scoring of Perry, Kenny Brown, Drew Diener, and Chris Braun. The real questions are on defense.

"Currently - bradley, WSU, and probably SMS have better backcourts than SLU (IMO)."

While I would have to admit that I need to do more research to become more familiar with the guards at Bradley, Wichita State, and SMS, my initial gut reaction to your above statement is, "And you questioned my basketball IQ!" The strength of this Billikens squad is in the backcourt.

"Frontcourt - to me this depends whether or not IO plays PF - if so - rebounding and toughness will be an issue since mixing it up, defense and boarding are not his strong suit. he does create an interesting defensive matchup there - much like korver did for CU last year - being able to step out and nail the three. korver was a smarter defender and better rebounder than IO though. KB loss will be tough too - he had a big physcial presence that maybe tough to replace."

The frontcourt is the big question mark this year, but the potential for it is greater than that of last year's frontcourt. Izik Ohanon will guard opponents' power forward and be a four on defense. If you were really a Bills fan, you would know that by now. Also, you are wrong on IO: he's a pretty good rebounder; I don't know what you were watching (or, more likely, not watching).

"Currently - Creighton, Il St when transfer becomes eligible at semester, Northern Iowa have better frontcourt than bills (IMO)."

You're being too nice. Everyone has a better frontcourt, at the moment, than SLU. Okay, I'm exaggerating.

"I also think that Brad while showing a lot of promise is still a question mark until he has established himself for a couple of seasons. I definitely think that he is on the right track as his lack of experience is my only knock on him."

Brad Soderberg led Wisconsin to the NCAA Tournament in his year as the interim head coach, and he led the Bills to an improbable NIT berth last year as he guided them to receiving a first-round bye in the C-USA Tournament. Please note that four C-USA teams participated in the NCAA Tournament last year. Soderberg has nine years of experience as a head coach and sports a record of 147-87. What the heck are you talking about, "lack of experience"?

"Bills depth is a little suspect depending on how the redshirts are handed out. Personally I think Brad should stockpile some of these guys and really look to next season."

There are 11 scholarship players (discounting former walk-on Phillip Hunt) on the roster. The balance among the positions is decent, as there are three centers, three power forwards, three wings, and two points. Soderberg is only going to play eight or nine of them in the primary rotation. The Bills are deeper and more athletic this year than last year.

If you're suggesting, with the last part of your above statement, that Soderberg should not try to win this season and redshirt two or three players, my respect for you as a basketball fan went down the drain. Say it ain't so!

"CU - will have 3 5th year seniors in the post and will likely be an inside out team this year. while some think korver will be toughest to replace - i very much disagree. bowden who was backup pg will be - and i think altman found someone who can be defensive stopper like bowden in juco johnny mathies (yup "chances are" that is really his name). scoring from korver will be picked up by everyone. i don't think CU will have a dominant scorer this year - instead having a number of guys who will avg between 8-12 ppg. number of these guys can go off any night and drop 20+ depending on what the defense gives up. i have yet to see creighton outcoached and with DA on the bench - i expect the jays to always be in the mix."

Spoken like a true Creighton fan! Why is it that you can see the "whole team approach" to replacing Kyle Korver but you can't (or WON'T) see how SLU can do the same to replace Perry? You really think you're being objective???

"would SLU win (the Valley) this year - i think don't think so. but would most likely finish in top 4-5."

I can't argue with you about your opinion/projection. Publications are picking SLU to finish seventh or eighth in Conference USA. So I guess the middle of the C-USA pack translate to the middle of the MVC pack, rather than the top two or three? I humbly bow to your infinite knowledge of college basketball. I beg you to let me get pool picks from you this March!

Thicks,

Nice rebut to our bird brain friend who has had his cranium scrambled what with hitting it on the wall so often the last day or two. Most Billiken fans don't care about the Lil' Ol MVC...those days are ancient history for us. School is still out on the 2003-04 Billiken team, but with Coach Soderberg at the helm, I expect an exciting team. How many wins that translates too...heck, I will leave that up to the experts. However, I won't be surprised if this Billiken team also puts it in gear, the 2nd half of the year just like the 2002-03 team.

terrance terrance terrance - let me take these one at a time...

am a bills fan - but lets face it coming from minneapolis - and now denver - my opportunities to watch the bills aren't so many. i think i saw 3 televised games last year - and from 2nd hand - i have a network of coaches that i talk to - one of the topics is generally the bills.

"While the loss of C-USA first-teamer Marque Perry looms very large, the question marks are not as stark as you paint them. Perry handled the ball a lot AGAINST THE PRESS, but he was not the point guard and he didn't initiate the halfcourt offense. Josh Fisher (who led the team in assists) and Anthony Drejaj handled and retain those roles. Second, Reggie Bryant will fill the role of the go-to guy. He's a scorer and a much better shooter than Perry. If you were a Bills fan, rather than just a distant, somewhat interested observer, you would know these things. Also, the Bills will score more points as a team this year, meaning they'll more than replace the departed scoring of Perry, Kenny Brown, Drew Diener, and Chris Braun. The real questions are on defense."

none of the guys you mentioned come close to being the player MP was. He wasn't always the point - but the offense flowed through MP. Maybe my opinon of marquee is too high - but i thought that he was one of the best players in CUSA and one of the most unheralded players in the nation last year. Defensively MP got the attention - and yet he was still able to score and create - he hit the open man many times for the easy shot. I think the entire complexion of how the offese is going to flow will be very very different. i think it is going to take a while for this team to find an "identity" as that identity last year IMO was MP. of course there is the other side of that this year too - many times in CU's offense - guys just stood around and watched and waited for korv to do something - they wont have that luxury this season - certainly same could apply to bills.

"While I would have to admit that I need to do more research to become more familiar with the guards at Bradley, Wichita State, and SMS, my initial gut reaction to your above statement is, "And you questioned my basketball IQ!" The strength of this Billikens squad is in the backcourt."

check em out - i think they will all have very good guards. i think you will get to see sms first hand - they are usually on your schedule.

"The frontcourt is the big question mark this year, but the potential for it is greater than that of last year's frontcourt. Izik Ohanon will guard opponents' power forward and be a four on defense. If you were really a Bills fan, you would know that by now. Also, you are wrong on IO: he's a pretty good rebounder; I don't know what you were watching (or, more likely, not watching)."

I agree with you on the potential - never thought KB ended up being the player i thought he would be when he came out of iowa western as he was very highly touted - but he was a tough physical guy. none of us know squat yet about husak or "zorba" yet. as for IO - i just didn't see the aggressiveness out of him in his rebounding - sometimes this takes a couple of years from a euro player - maybe he is/has developed it - i just didn't see it last year. i hope he has bulked up as well as there aer some stout PF in CUSA and i thnk he is going to be called on to help on C defensively. IO has good feet - so i thnk he can be a good defender.

"Brad Soderberg led Wisconsin to the NCAA Tournament in his year as the interim head coach, and he led the Bills to an improbable NIT berth last year as he guided them to receiving a first-round bye in the C-USA Tournament. Please note that four C-USA teams participated in the NCAA Tournament last year. Soderberg has nine years of experience as a head coach and sports a record of 147-87. What the heck are you talking about, "lack of experience"?"

the wisconsin team wasn't really "his" team. but i was very impressed with brad's coaching that season. sorry but i can't really count the nine years of HC experience. let's keep it to D1. when i get the Bears head coaching job after jauron is fired - i won't count my experience coaching 8th grade boys. Brad is now coaching against the best of the best huggins, pitino, calipari, crean. i don't think he was seeing that kind of quality in the opposing coaches when he was at loras (oh yeah - i am a duhawk fan too)

"There are 11 scholarship players (discounting former walk-on Phillip Hunt) on the roster. The balance among the positions is decent, as there are three centers, three power forwards, three wings, and two points. Soderberg is only going to play eight or nine of them in the primary rotation. The Bills are deeper and more athletic this year than last year."

agreed - brad has done a good job upgrading and filling some holes - we will soon find out about the quality of those players.

"If you're suggesting, with the last part of your above statement, that Soderberg should not try to win this season and redshirt two or three players, my respect for you as a basketball fan went down the drain. Say it ain't so!"

not exactly what i am saying - but i really really think next year - this team could be something. clearly brad's system is complicated - and that some of the guys took well into the season to figure it out. i think some guys will likely be better served sitting, learning and preserving a year of eligibility. altman has done this (sometimes to the consternation of CU fans - but the depth and experience he has built is pretty impressive).

"Spoken like a true Creighton fan! Why is it that you can see the "whole team approach" to replacing Kyle Korver but you can't (or WON'T) see how SLU can do the same to replace Perry? You really think you're being objective???"

Maybe so - the difference in my mind is that kyle wasn't the initiator of the offense (although offense certainly flowed through him). and that the guys being counted on this season were significant contributors last season. i also have watched the CU guys a lot - and have been banging my connections for input on how things look to shake out this year...again - part of my problem here may be my limited ability to watch slu last year.

i also explained my top 4-5 being that if things broke against bills - they would be looking at a 4-5 - and that on paper i only see wichita as being a superior team.

i will be glad to provide picks for you come march- i did pretty well last year with my picks - taking 3rd in one pool and 6th in another (although no cash for 6th...)

If you are asking me...you'll NEVER find me on any MVC website...I cn't help it if some of the Bills fans troll on MVC boards...my time is too valuable for that nonsense. I have ZERO interest in the league. My team is the SLU Billikens.

i especially liked the part where at the top of our creighton friends response it was vital that we have a quality replacement for marque because even though he wasnt the point guard, the offense flowed through him. but at the end of his post it wasnt imperitive that korver was replaced since he wasnt the point guard yet he admitted the offense flowed through him. huh? i am beginning to believe schasz. the head banging has definitely affected this guy's thought process. when he posted less he at least had some credibility.

but hey, he has official spoon gear and one of spoon's rings, plus he talks to a network of coaches on a regular basis. that's good enough for me. we are billiken idiots and he is the source.

thanks for the kind words. i dont think i got abused intelligently. there were some idiot statements made when i pointed out the facts. facts they didnt want to hear and amazingly they failed to address in their rebuttals. kind of like yourself. as i said earlier today, i dont see any other billiken fans rushing in echoing your statements. so why would i expect valley fans to rush in and thank me. at least i treated them kindly on their court and left unlike you who is still here three days later telling us we are arrogant, low iq'd, and completely wrong about our team.

being called an a$$ from the likes of this creighton weirdo isnt too bad. i was lmao earlier today when he was telling us about himself sitting around in his spoonball t-shirt twirling his spoon ncaa ring around his finger. that alone convinced me he was a dandy. my guess is he is one of spoon's ex buds that like spoon still grinds his ax versus the program. as thicks points out, he isnt really a billiken fan. his satellite view of our players tells me he is somewhat knowledgeable for a casual fan, but not a real billiken fan. thus, like i said, he still has billiken interests probably due to his old spoon ties, but doesnt keep up enough to really know what is going on. of course this is all coming from an a$$ though.

I believe you've adopted SLU as a team you follow with a little bit of interest, but you're not a hardcore Bills fan. You can't catch their games and you're not intimately familiar with the players. That probably doesn't mean anything to you, but it does help us hardcore Bills fans know how to interpret and respond to your posts.

I do want to respond to one point of your post. You wrote, "[Marque Perry] wasn't always the point - but the offense flowed through [him]." I don't know if I agree the offense "flowed through" Perry. He took a lot of shots, especially with time running out on the possession clock or in the game, and he created his own shot a lot, but he didn't start sets (he wasn't the "coach on the floor") and he didn't often dish for others. He took the shot because his team needed for him to take and make the shot, This year the offense will "flow through" the motion, as drawn up by Coach Soderberg.

Broy,

You need to slow down my friend. You just hit the 4,000 post jackpot and I am a mere 3,000 behind you having just hit the 1,000 milestone.

You could take another vacation down here in FL and I'd still be way behind you. All kidding aside...keep the faith, this program is heading in the right direction and we have no one to apologize about the outlook for our team.

cujaysfan said, "you got completely abused over on valleytalk"

i went over to see if there were additional posts since i left to go to the billiken club meeting. low and behold one guy even thanked me for the facts i presented.

if course though to illustrate who the real a$$ is, there at the bottom of the string is you giving everyone a link to a post i had here that by itself makes me look bad. but ho hum, what else would expect from the likes of you. you have really shown your true colors the last 3 days.

btw, i like the way to assure everyone there that spoon only left slu because of doug woolard. you know i truly believe you really are a spoon insider. you have went out of your way to drop enough hints that is the case.

tell spoon we all say hi and wish him well at the crap tables.

CUJaysfan, I for one am glad to have you here. I'd love to play CU either home and home or better yet as a conference rival in a much better conference than the valley. Revel in being king of the dorks if you like . We have higher aspirations. Roy can be an ass, though I love him. He once sited Drew Deiner as a reason that the Billikens would be a good team. He drives me nuts sometimes but he is the biggest Billiken homer and supporter I know.

If this was Valleytalk I'd defend you more but after all this Roy's house. Kindly wipe your feet on the mat before you come in.

Thicks says,

"Second, Reggie Bryant will fill the role of the go-to guy. He's a scorer and a much better shooter than Perry. If you were a Bills fan, rather than just a distant, somewhat interested observer, you would know these things."

How would any Billiken fan know this since Reggie Bryant hasn't stepped on the court ONE TIME for the Billikens?

The reason why I say this is because I heard what a great scorer Josh Fisher was going to be after seeing him dominate practices when he had to sit out his freshman year. While I know Reggie Bryant has a track record at Villanova, I will be interested to see how he fits into Brad's system. Especially when a former Villanova coach criticized Reggie's defense there. From what I know about Brad Soderberg, you will sit if you can't play defense.

I guess instead of, "if you were a Bills fan, you would know this," I should have said, "if you were a Bills fan, you would HAVE HEARD this." None of us truly KNOWS what will happen, but those of us who have followed the program closely have 1) read or seen Brad Soderberg's comments a) on the radio, :) on this site, c) on other websites, or d) in preseason magazines that Bryant will pick up Perry's scoring load or 2) seen Bryant in practice last year and/or in informal scrimmages during the offseason, and these things lead to a reasonable conclusion that Bryant will handle a considerable portion of the scoring load this season.

that Perry will be easily replaced and SLU will probably be better, even though his replacement couldn't crack the regular rotation at Villanova, yet Marquette will be lucky to be on the bubble because they lose Wade?

I loved Marquee's game and the way he put the team on his shoulders in games like Tulane, L-ville, DePaul, Memphis, etc was amazing. He was one of the best and most clutch college players I've ever seen. When he didn't show up (Minnesota) SLU had no chance. The guy was a 2-time first team all conference. If he was 2 inches taller he'd been a first round pick in the NBA draft. Sure, his outside shot wasn't "great" but it was good enough in the comeback against L-ville and DePaul. By the way, wasn't he one of SLU's leading rebounders too?

Marque was a special college player, like Wade. But the way people are posting here it seems like Marque was the equivelent of Drew Diener. It's going to be harder to replace him than everyone thinks.

B-Law, I didn't say that Marque Perry would be replaced easily, and I didn't say that Marquette will go down the drain because Dwayne Wade is gone.

Perry CAN'T be replaced -- at least not this year. But that doesn't mean SLU will score fewer points this year than last year.

What's with your negative statement about Reggie Bryant? He was at Villanova as a freshman and sophomore behind Gary Buchanon, a pretty good player. When he left 'Nova, he was poised to step up his production. Many players come off the bench as underclassmen and start as upperclassmen (I think that's the way we want it to be!). Now Bryant is a junior in eligibility and a senior in age/maturity. He'll shoulder a significant portion of the scoring load -- I'm confident of that.

but others have over the past few weeks. Just something that has been knawing at me for a while. That post was not directed at you.

And it isn't that I have a negative impression of Bryant, but I do think expectations are far too high for him to step in and instantly replace Marque as many think he will. In fact, wasn't one of the reasons he left that he wasn't going to get the playing time he thought he would because of the freshmen coming in?

billiken law, you were at the meeting last nite and heard for yourself the ravings of coach brad about reggie. when he was telling us that reggie is about the best jump shooter he has ever been around including kirk penney, that didnt fire you up?

i think villanova would have loved everyone to believe that, but now after hearing about how good of a scorer they expect him to be, i dont believe that. i think there were other reasons he left nova.

>And it isn't that I have a negative impression of Bryant,

>but I do think expectations are far too high for him to step

>in and instantly replace Marque as many think he will. In

>fact, wasn't one of the reasons he left that he wasn't going

>to get the playing time he thought he would because of the

>freshmen coming in?

Where did you get that idea, from Villanova fans?

http://slubillikens.ocsn.com/sports/m-bask.../010903aac.html

>>Averaging 24.2 minutes and 9.1 points per game last season for Villanova, he was outstanding in the postseason. In the Big East Tournament and NIT, he scored 13.9 points per game as the Wildcats advanced to the quarterfinals of the NIT.

Through the success, however, Bryant wasn't entirely happy. The 6-foot-2 guard had some reservations about having to sit out a year if he transferred, but he decided it was worth the risk.

"Going through the season, I didn't feel comfortable with the system or the team," he said. "I had good relationships with my teammates, but I felt like I needed a change, a new atmosphere."

Also in that article, you'll see where Coach Soderberg says he expects Bryant to provide significant scoring. I'd be shocked if Bryant doesn't average at least 12-13 points per game this season.