What's next?

Should Lance Stemler go to Indiana, does anyone have a sense of our 'Plan B"?

Also..unlike our more recent recruits TL, KL, and Knollmeyer, Stemler would not be playing in the new building before he would leave. This afternonn Ath. Dir. Levick said it will take 22 months from groundbreaking to completion for the building to be ready, with graduation 2008 probably the first event in the building. So the past problems of recruiting a kid to practice in the venerable West Pine Gym and play off campus may still have been a factor. Thank God that won't be the case in the near future with any of our recruits!

i will be surprised if we sign any other wings. i think they wanted stemler because he was a player that was an upgrade over anthony however there is likely not better players available wing wise than what danny brown will provide. i am betting maybe one other pf/inside player. or maybe a transfer of some sort.

dont spend the scholarship just to take up space

The point about the new arena not being in Lance's time with the team is a fair one to make. I also privately thought the same thing but assumed that that reason would have to be low on the totem pole but still a factor. Does anybody know what other players we are still looking at? Roy is probably correct that there are not any wing players out there much better than what we have - sad to say but the truth. What other PFs are out there and besides the kid from Ball State possibly transfering who else might be on the list out there? Thank goodness for Adam coming through or else this would have been a dismal spring.

The arena itself probably wasn't as big a factor as it is given credit for. The fact of the matter is that we lost to Indiana. The big boys came in late, flexed their muscle, and got what they wanted. Sure, Lance isn't the only answer, but he would have been a really nice fit for our program for the next two years. If we're going to compete with programs like IU in March, we need to compete for recruits all year long. Yes, we should have offered Lance earlier, which may or may not have gotten him to sign before IU looked like the best option.

My question now is what are we going to do with the last two scholarships? Is anyone else waiting in the wings this spring, or are these going to be used for early-signees in the fall? I don't want to spend them for the sake of spending them or we'll wind up with another JJ. However, if Ian doesn't return and we only have Dustin and Adam coming in, we are going to be the dream come true for every opposing A-10 PF and center.

The only names that we were listed on that haven't signed with are Lounceny Kaba JUCO at Monroe College and George Fotso high school in MS. Both players are offensively challenged, Kaba strength is defense and shot blocking, kind of thin but a 4 type player. Fotso's strength is defense and rebounding. I think both were being looked at for the 4 spot and are probably no longer being looked at since Knollmeyer signed. Fotso could be signed and redshirted but I would expect him at either a prep school or JUCO next year working on his game.

Stemler was really the only player we were looking at this spring with an outside game. I think this is probably because the coaches didn't really see this as a need, expecting improvement to come from DB, LM and DP along with Maquire coming in already. I think the coaches realized that Stemler was a top notch player that we had a legitimate shot at landing and that is why he became a recruiting target, more so than having a need for him.

I guess this leaves the Nelson kid as a transfer from Ball St as about the only player we really know anything about. There could be other transfers out there as well, but I wouldn't expect signing any JUCOs or high school players unless there is one in deep hiding like a Danny Brown.

I also wouldn't have a problem with holding the 2 scholarships back for next year's class. From reading what people post here about next year's senior class in high school it sounds like there is more talent than there was in this class.

Thanks for the update, I haven't been able to find any info on his recruitment. Scout has an article from last week about Kaba, but it was probably about his recent visits to St Bonny and Santa Clara I believe. I think we are probably off him since Knollmeyer signed anyway.