Bus trip to Cincy?

Once again - a bus trip to Cincy means nothing. Charter flights are fine but not necessary all the time. The plane was sold - we were told by someone in the aviation school - because it was so old that the maintence costs to keep it in the air was too expensive. Now should they buy another one - maybe but as CL has said at a Billiken Club meeting, if we raised more money from the club membership #s then we could charter planes whenever we want. That in the long run is probably the best solution. Heck, most companies no longer own their planes but buy lease time for the year since that makes more economic sense. So in other words, join the Club and kick up your membership from starter to the next level and this all becomes moot.

exactly what are you doing to ensure slu can charter everywhere it goes??

i am guessing by your remarks you are giving well into the six figures to slu and are not happy about how it is being spent, but giving that amount should at least get lunch with cl to express to her what should be her concern about the future of your large donations

You're right Cowboy(sarcasm)

I merely pointed what is standard.

I suppose I am not allowed to speak unless I give 6 figures to the school. I forgot that SLU is a mom and pop school....I mean gee it is truly a blessed miracle that SLU even has uniforms and everything and not playing intramurals only! And the classrooms have walls doors and windows and everything too. Holy Cow!

Perhaps they could schedule Blackburn on a weekday afternoon...make it a road game and walk to Southern Il?

>You're right Cowboy(sarcasm)

>

>I merely pointed what is standard.

>

>I suppose I am not allowed to speak unless I give 6 figures

>to the school. I forgot that SLU is a mom and pop

>school....I mean gee it is truly a blessed miracle that SLU

>even has uniforms and everything and not playing intramurals

>only! And the classrooms have walls doors and windows and

>everything too. Holy Cow!

>

>Perhaps they could schedule Blackburn on a weekday

>afternoon...make it a road game and walk to Southern Il?

Courtside,

One thing I have learned on this board is when you talked to the uneducated than you can't expect much. The reason I always bring up if anyone ever coached or played DI is because of these exact same arguments. I know it's frustrating but these people have no idea what they are talking about. Courtside you are right on the money with all your posts on this subject. A little advice though, sometimes you just have to show your viewpoint and then let all the uneducated fill the board with things they know nothing about. For someone on this board to say that Brad and the players don't complain about the buss rides for 5.5 hours to the most important tournament of the year are clueless.

Wasn't one of the arguements with the A10 was that almost all the away games are a plane ride. Especially expensive when you have all the non-revenue producing sports scheduling UMASS, URI and St Bona. Back in the CUSA days many of teams (Cincy, DePaul, Louisville, or Memphis) could be reached within 5 hours by bus or van.

Don't get me wrong, I am still an advocate for being in the A10 over the closer proximity MVC schools.

-my point was it is my opinion that slu is not a program at the level where charters can be afforded, the money is not available

-what schools in a similar situation to slu charter or even fly everywhere??

-could our situation be better?? obviously, but it takes money that is currently not in the coffers of the athletic dept

My point is what is standard for any quality program...plenty of private similar value schools in that mix.

I am well aware SLU runs their hoops program mom and pop style for long time.

SLU can make a commitment to hoops if it wants to do so. I think they have enough apologists.

All I did was point out that SLU is behind the times in that departement.

If SLU is so mom and pop, I vote SLU goes to no scholarships and drops to D-II status immediately.

Cheeseman wrote that Louisville and Cinci took the bus to Stl to play us. Are you saying that is not true? I don't know if it is or not. If it is then the remarks that all the schools with a committment to basketball take chartered flights for trips over an hour or 2 by bus would be wrong. I think Cinci and Louisville are committed to basketball.

We have committed to start building a new arena, even before the proposed funds were all raised. The facility will hold 10k and have offices and practice facilities including weight and training rooms I believe. I think our coach is paid at a level commensurate with SLU's position in the basketball world. To say SLU isn't committed to basketball over a bus ride that many other schools may or may not take is wrong. I am sure there are many other schools that spend more money ... but I don't think we are way behind the times.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

I can assure you that Cincy and Louisville often took the bus to play us - saw the bus numerous times and the players getting on it. Now I am sure there was a time they flew because of their schedule - maybe they had to play 2 games in 3 days out of town or whatever but I often saw the bus they took. That is why this flying discussion is just silly. Let me ask this: Does DePaul or Marquette take the bus to play each other or fly? Does Georgetown fly or bus to Villanova? My point is the schedule and locations have a lot to do with whether you fly or not. By the way even Mizzo takes a bus to either KC or STL to catch planes to other places so does that make them less committed since they did not charter a plane to pick them up in Columbia? I know they have taken bus to play Kansas for that matter.

>I can assure you that Cincy and Louisville often took the

>bus to play us - saw the bus numerous times and the players

>getting on it. Now I am sure there was a time they flew

>because of their schedule - maybe they had to play 2 games

>in 3 days out of town or whatever but I often saw the bus

>they took. That is why this flying discussion is just

>silly. Let me ask this: Does DePaul or Marquette take the

>bus to play each other or fly? Does Georgetown fly or bus

>to Villanova? My point is the schedule and locations have a

>lot to do with whether you fly or not. By the way even

>Mizzo takes a bus to either KC or STL to catch planes to

>other places so does that make them less committed since

>they did not charter a plane to pick them up in Columbia? I

>know they have taken bus to play Kansas for that matter.

I know that Marquette charters to everywhere but Madison, DePaul and Notre Dame. Cincy and Louisville players getting on a bus - probably to and from Lambert.

I'm not sure how Louisville or Cincy travels, but seeing them get off a bus doesn't mean anyting. You've got 12 or 13 players, 4 or 5 coaches, trainers, managers, and all of their gear. How else could they make it to the arena? They could take a bus from the hotel to the game.