Official both golf programs being dropped

They save some scholarship money, and some travel money, and whatever Schwent made. The way I understand it the track team is nothing more than the cross country team running long distance races during the spring. I'm sure they won't change scholarship money for the cross country runners,or if they do it won't be much. I think you can look at this in two ways. One, Cheryl is a smart by having 2 Title 9 sports with the same scholarship dollars. The other is why do we have such a mickey mouse operation. Since I really only care about basketball and soccer I'll go with number one.

if we subbed men's and women's track for men's and women's golf, i don t see how title 9 is a factor.

what is really boggling is that track has to be one of the most facilities factored sports that there is. why would a hurdler or sprinter come to slu when we dont even have a track? and there is no way we are building a track if we cant even raise the money to build a basketball arena. the whole thing makes no sense. has there been an explanation issued by ms levick?

ok, that makes sense. really just an extension of cross country. so we really didnt start a track team, we cut golf period.

that's embarrassing.

I get the lose one save one idea, but it seems to me that we are going to start a program that is doomed to fail before it get's off the ground. We have no facility which means recruiting will be nearly impossible. If they are trying to operate with a budget less than golf, what do they really hope to accomplish in terms of success? Why not just cancel golf and give the money to an existing program?

now that i understand how the "track" approach will be, not only will the overall effect likely save the athletic dept money, it also might enable the cross country program to recruit better as well. now the cross country coach can tell his recruits that they do indeed compete in track and field and i would be willing to bet that is huge for the serious distance runners.

Let me update everyone. As far as title 9 there is no effect. It's basically a trade off. As far as saving money it's just about a trade off in money. Facilities are non existent, so this is the head scratcher. Personally the department handled it terribly. I know for the last week "Many" people have called West Pine pissed as hell about this. Coach Schwent was really pissed about dropping the programs and really felt bad for the kids. I would encourage people to continue to call West Pine and ask for answers. Seems like the administration looks Bush league on this one. It's quite embarrasing.

while i dont like it, i understand it. it is my guess they were never going to put out the needed $$ to compete in golf at a high level, and of course without a facility they wont compete in track either. however, this actually upgrades the cross country team and likely costs the athletic dept less overall. actually pretty slick thinking of you look at it from that angle.

I couldn't agree more about how poorly this appears to have been handled. It reminds me of a recent decision to dismiss a couple university employees. Quietly and without any fanfare, hoping that it flys under the radar and before any one notices it's to late to do anything about it. I have to much respect for CL to believe it was handled this way on purpose. She is a class act who is always quick to praise "her" athletes. This smells like it came from elsewhere.

i disagree. cross country might be the least costly of any sport. and what will be is nothing more than an extension of cross country. same coach, same athletes. so you are able to maintain title 9 status but eliminate the coaches and a number of scholarships. plus, you strengthen the cross country program by making it more attractive to the cross country athlete who would naturally double in both sports. i dont think that had to come from above cheryl. that is a financial decision that makes sense if it was mandated cut costs someway. i would prefer we legitimately try to have strong programs in all sports, but if we were tying the hands behind the golf coach's back anyway, which i would guess we were, this makes sense.

as willie said, it has long been understood our sports programs are basketball first and soccer second followed by all the rest. that is no secret. and until we have a better revenue stream from either more billiken club money or from a more successful men's basketball program, not much that will be done.

I have a feeling that everything was quiet because the Field Hockey coach screwed over the department and the left to become an assistant at Duke. People in the administration and in the department kept things quiet because of that situation more than anyhting.

Can we look at this from another perspective?

Since we're now in a conference where every road trip (save Xavier and Dayton) involves a major expense in travel and lodging, the athletic department realizes that it's short of money.

Rather than apply for membership in the MVC, to keep down those expenses, we're now flying a lot of athletes to New York, Philly, Pittsburgh, Providence, etc.

Tell me that isn't a factor in dropping the sports; it's right up there with Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny.

Sorry, this is much to do about nothing. Roy's has laid it out very clearly how and why this was done. If the golf coach felt so bad he could have stayed and this probably would not have happened. Once he decided to leave then it gave cause for a reevaluation of the situation. There is never any good way to cut a sport - the best you can be is wrong. This university has much bigger fish to fry - the arena for one than to worry over this minor issue. I thought something was funny with the field hockey situation when I heard she left. What is happening with that sport?