Say it isn't so

p diddy

A friend of mine who lives in peoria, ill. went to see vashon last night against peoria notre dame. he said vashon had a 12 point lead in the fourth quarter, but notre dame came back and tied it with a shot at the buzzer and went on to beat vashon in OT. The winning basket came on an inbounds play. Peoria ND was 11-9 heading into the game.

Naturally, my phone rings and it's my friend calling with the jokes. "This is supposed to be the No. 10 team in the country?" "They lost to one of our average teams." "They couldn't beat manual or central all of these years, so they tried out the little Class A team in town and still got beat."

Needless to say, I got an earfull from my illinois friend.

he did say he liked the hill kid who was going to illinois state, but none of their guards could shoot.

must have been a bad day at the office. it happens sometimes on the road.

bad boyz for life

While I agree that Vashon is a very good basketball team, I think that the overall talent in Missouri is no where near the match of Illinois High School Basketball. In 2004, the Carbondale Sectional had Belleville West, Carbondale, and Althoff all in it. I think it would be safe to say that any of these teams would have had a great shot at going to the state tournament in Missouri and possibly winning it. Belleville West had, J.B. Jones, Xavier Price, Arthur Sargent, McPeak. Carbondale had Dentmon who starts at Washington, Cass (going to Depaul) Phillip Fayne, Blackledge (both at SWIC) and Althoff had Kevin, Kenny Nance, and some other nice players. It is of my belief that the state championship in Missouri Basketball is no better than a sectional matchup in Illinois.

I have no problem with area rankings...but ANY kind of national rankings are silly. Different teams play much different local and national competition, and a true national ranking CANNOT be measured in high school athletics. I have NEVER understood why people continue to mention a high school national ranking. I would have thought by now most people would skip right over it. Rather saying such and such beat a blank ranked state of blank team...would seem to mean more.

Local area and state rankings are fine.

Good teams get upset once in a while. It really isn't a big deal. If it was the state tourney in MO and it happened, it would be a little different. Or if it happenend a few more times.

Vashon has continued to play some weak out of area teams year in and year out...and what it does is set themselves up for a game like this, where if they win, yawn city, if they lose, headlines. But this year, unlike many previous years, Vashon did play in the very competitive Bass Pro tourney this year, and won it...first time in several years they played in it. They also played in the shootout against a good opponent. So, they are clearly the STL area's best team THIS year, and, could definitely play with the big boys THIS year in IL. They lost a game, got beat....just so you know, 3 or 4 of the top IL ranked hoops teams have had shocker losses this year...most have only one loss or so...but defending state champ Glenbrook North for example lost to a much inferior opponent in Hoiday tourney.....it happens...and if happens once, not a big deal.

I take everything in each individual season. THIS season, Carbondale is down considerably from last year's team, though still solid team, and same for the Peoria schools....all three are in a top 25 state level this year, but nothing more than that. And, reputation helps. Last year was different.

Edwardsville cracked the state top ten....and Alton cracked the state top 20.

So, sure would it be tougher and harder for Vashon in a reg season scenario, AND a playoff scenario to play in IL, especially Chicago area, absolutely. Top teams are good anywhere...but the number and depth of quality teams means a togh playoff opponent night after night.

I will say that STL area high school hoops is not deep at all, and really not strong at the top either after the V and Edwardsville...maybe Alton....Some decent solid clubs like a Troy...but really nothing special. ...at least for this year. On the other side of the state, not a lot of depth either.

Since I left the St. Louis area in 1996 then that would not be much of a reach Roy. Back then the East Side team seemed to always be better than the best team on the West side of the Metro area. Many of those years, the differnce would have been pretty lop sided too.

Well...it certainly depends on the year or time period. Are we talking a specific year(s)....70's, early 80's mid 80's late 80's 90's...etc...I could go back and forth with cases for both sides. ....with overall quality, top end quality....etc...some years or period s would favor different sides.

edwardsville has more experience. if you think that vashon has more talent, well, they have 3 signed division one athletes in the starting lineup and you can bet alairia will join them next year.

i think that edwardsville is physically stronger as well. and i have yet to see them rattled this year. all that vashon has over them is quickness imo. edwardsville's patience, experience and leadership will counter that.

it is too bad we will never know, but if there is one thing to consider, edwardsville hasnt even lost a game this year, let alone one to the likes of peoria notre dame.

If anything on this board or elsewhere, I try to be objective.

With that said, I am long on record as to disregarding ANY type of high school national ranking. If it makes Peoria ND's coach happy to throw that out there, and their kids or town....have at it. But there just isn't a baromoter for national rankings in high school.

Is Vashon any good THIS year, sure. I am always ready to point out their weak competition when warranted. I know a lot of people on here or elsewhere don't follow it enough and see an out of state name or city...without knowing how good the opponent actually is....And, most of Vashon's schedule would be soft once again, but not all of it...winning the Bass Pro Tourney this year against schools who are well regarded in their local areas...3 different areas, and playing well in the shootout...Vashon has certainly a better resume this year so far than Edwardsville.

Is Edwardsville any good this year? Yes. Have they beaten any good or decent teams yes....but no one at the level or near it that the V has this year.....doesn't mean they couldn't, just means they haven't played anyone at that level.

Since the V and Edwardsville do not play each other, and have little common opponents and little difference in result in that area...comparing the two teams is silly, because we will never know.

It sort of blows me away that with any team on any level in any sport on this board....if they lose one game or win one game....the extreme highs and lows on here.

Edwardsville won't have it easy to advance this year, but they do have a much easier time of it advancing to state quarters this year than the paths of some of the others that will make it too.

The V will have perhaps even less of a test to get to the MO Final Four.

If the V, or Edwardsville loses to a much lesser opponent early in post-season...that would register a lot more to me.

If the thread is nothing more than an underdog team pulling off a big upset over the V and enjoying it for a day, enjoy. Nothing wrong with that.