Bass Pro Tournament of Champions

VTIME

Will Brad be attending. A lot of top national teams will be there. Huffman, who was upset by Webster in the Shootout. Legendary Christ the King from NY, Vashon HS, Kickapoo HS, and more. Article is on front page of mosports.com and you dont need an account to access it.

>Any competiton will be better than the embarrassingly bad,

>recent Poplar Bluff Showdown. Some brutally bad out of

>state teams in that one.

I dont know about the talent level there, but Vashon sure handled their business. Powell sure did a number on those teams. His total for the 3 game championship stretch were 58pts, 37 rebs, and 15 blocks. That comes out to 19.3ppg,12.3 rpg, and 5bpg. I'd say he had an impressive Christmas vacation in Pop Bluff. I wish Brad would've been there instead of the Beaumont game. Powell had 22, 9, and 3 that game, but he really didnt play a whole lot when Brad was there in the 2nd quarter because the game was so out of hand. He scored about 10 pts while Brad was there, but didnt really get to show him anything as Brad bolted as would I as the standing room only crowd stormed the halls and concession stands. I could only imagine Powell's numbers this year if he didnt sit out the 4th quarter of most of their games and not play the second halves on some games, and playing less than a third of the game in a 80-21 victory over Cleveland.

Didn't we go through this last year? If you can't go to the trouble to find out about the level of competition played...how can you comment on stats? Two of the three teams Vashon played are bad teams...not ranked anywhere near the top 15 in their local area, let alone state. Their championship game opponent is historically a bad basketball team and this year is no different. Winning by 30-40 points was the expectation in their games. As Nate Lasch posted on the STL forum...many of those teams played last year out of state were maybe the 5th or 6th best teams in their conference at best. We've been through this before. It's tired.

>Didn't we go through this last year? If you can't go to the

>trouble to find out about the level of competition

>played...how can you comment on stats? Two of the three

>teams Vashon played are bad teams...not ranked anywhere near

>the top 15 in their local area, let alone state. Their

>championship game opponent is historically a bad basketball

>team and this year is no different. Winning by 30-40 points

>was the expectation in their games. As Nate Lasch posted on

>the STL forum...many of those teams played last year out of

>state were maybe the 5th or 6th best teams in their

>conference at best. We've been through this before. It's

>tired.

>

>

But the Bass Pro tournament has a very good team called Huffman in it. They have a 6'10 big man headed to UCONN and a 6'9 headed to another D1. If you remember Webster upset them in the shootout. Christ the King is also in there, and they about a half dozen kids in Division 1 right now, and are usually ranked in the top 25 nationally, but arent this year.

You made a post touting the great stats of individual players in games against bad at best opponents, when the opponents' level of play was unknown to most of the board because they were out of town teams. It is extremely misleading, and at best incomplete information. You did the same thing last year both here and the STL board. Gee I also can't wait for that Chicago Manley showdown coming up next month for the V....Manley is winless so far in league play and sporting a .500 overall record. Thought I would get that one out of the way early for you.

A lot of the out of state teams that have been scheduled by area teams are down. I dont think they picked some bums from out of town to play to pad their records. Thay doesnt really establish any credibility. I doubt that most area schools would do that intentionally, its just an unfortunate reality. And maybe people are just underrating the talent in this area and state. We have a lot of prospects in this state, and we arent inferior.

>A lot of the out of state teams that have been scheduled by

>area teams are down. I dont think they picked some bums

>from out of town to play to pad their records. Thay doesnt

>really establish any credibility. I doubt that most area

>schools would do that intentionally, its just an unfortunate

>reality. And maybe people are just underrating the talent

>in this area and state. We have a lot of prospects in this

>state, and we arent inferior.

In a word, no.

Schools know ahead of time when their opponents are going to have a good team or not. MANY of the teams Vashon has played out of state in recent years are not only having down years, they are historically bad teams or average at best teams in their local area. If you make frequent posts over a multiple year period with inciteful enthusiasm leading others to believe the success is more than what it actually is...yes, it is a problem. It is up to YOU to find out how good or not an opponent is before rattling off stats. Then don't make the posts. Pick one or the other. Out of respect to the board I am not going to let you continue to post half-truths at best. If I happen to read something, and know for a fact different, then I will respond. I don't care if the team is little sisters of the poor or Vashon or whomever.

Is Vashon scheduling mostly bad teams and sprinkling in some good ones over the past years, yes. And there is nothing wrong with that. However why should I care about individual player stats against far inferior competition, local or out of state?

And not just to you, be careful about evaluating a player or team based on one game. I remember that Job Scheyer kid struggling in the shootout last year, and the kid is one of the nation's best in his class, spectacular player. He is still embarrassed by his admission of his shootout performance last year.

Vashon has a great team as they do many years...and most of those years that doesn't necessarily transpire into good D-I players, with few wxceptions, AB being one. And everyone here knows my thoughts on high school national rankings in any sport. I won't go there again.

Just get more info on who they are playing before perhaps mentioning it on a board. If it is bogus as it was this time, I will probably call it out sometimes, if not, I probably won't post.

>>A lot of the out of state teams that have been scheduled by

>>area teams are down. I dont think they picked some bums

>>from out of town to play to pad their records. Thay doesnt

>>really establish any credibility. I doubt that most area

>>schools would do that intentionally, its just an unfortunate

>>reality. And maybe people are just underrating the talent

>>in this area and state. We have a lot of prospects in this

>>state, and we arent inferior.

>

>In a word, no.

>

>Schools know ahead of time when their opponents are going to

>have a good team or not. MANY of the teams Vashon has

>played out of state in recent years are not only having down

>years, they are historically bad teams or average at best

>teams in their local area. If you make frequent posts over

>a multiple year period with inciteful enthusiasm leading

>others to believe the success is more than what it actually

>is...yes, it is a problem. It is up to YOU to find out how

>good or not an opponent is before rattling off stats. Then

>don't make the posts. Pick one or the other. Out of

>respect to the board I am not going to let you continue to

>post half-truths at best. If I happen to read something,

>and know for a fact different, then I will respond. I don't

>care if the team is little sisters of the poor or Vashon or

>whomever.

>

>Is Vashon scheduling mostly bad teams and sprinkling in some

>good ones over the past years, yes. And there is nothing

>wrong with that. However why should I care about individual

>player stats against far inferior competition, local or out

>of state?

>

>And not just to you, be careful about evaluating a player or

>team based on one game. I remember that Job Scheyer kid

>struggling in the shootout last year, and the kid is one of

>the nation's best in his class, spectacular player. He is

>still embarrassed by his admission of his shootout

>performance last year.

>

>Vashon has a great team as they do many years...and most of

>those years that doesn't necessarily transpire into good D-I

>players, with few wxceptions, AB being one. And everyone

>here knows my thoughts on high school national rankings in

>any sport. I won't go there again.

>

>Just get more info on who they are playing before perhaps

>mentioning it on a board. If it is bogus as it was this

>time, I will probably call it out sometimes, if not, I

>probably won't post.

>

>

Ofcourse its wrong to judge a kid off seeing him one time, because If people just went off the game between Hansbrough and Oden last year, likely no one would've seen what all the hype was about. The same for some guys in the shootout this year like UCONN recruit Stanley Robinson. I think he had 10pts on all dunks. There's probably more to him than that. A lot of the schools Vashon schedules that are weak are schools that they made home and home deals with and teams they try to play every year like Manley. I believe they beat a Luther Head led team that went pretty far in the Illinois playoffs. Didnt they beat Darius Miles and East St. Louis, a guy who went #3 in the NBA draft a few months later. If they played East. St. Louis today, its a totally different cast of characters. Teams do go up and down. No one expected this kind of start from Josh Harrellson and St. Charles. This is not about Vashon, there are other local teams in the tournament. Kickapoo will be representing Missouri as well with Kyle Kirk. Were we recruiting him? Huffman alone with two major division recruits gives this tournament credibility. I dont want to argue, just saying it might be worth the trip.

I would have to agree with Bauman.

It is tired and old.

The LAST thing I will say is that my comments were regarding the embarrassingly bad Poplar Bluff Showdown. It would be the equivalent of the Cincy school thumping their chest for winning the Chaminade Christmas Tourney. You post misleading or incomplete things, and say oh well and change the subject and move on...everyone makes mistakes, but with you it is more than pattern. So that, when or if there is any decent info it gets lost. This would be a good example, ....the Pro Bass Tournament this year is a very strong tournament. Kickapoo is the weakest team there. And they aren't a bad team. Vashon's first opponent is legit, and Lathen Wallace, Jefferson's guard, did turn down AZ for Oregon St. They should get 3 good games.

But these posts would be much better served on the STL preps board or elsewhere. Posts on specific SLU recruits are another story. As I said, the Pro Bass tourney is a strong tourney, and if anyone is near that area, it would be a good event to attend.

>VTime, keep the info coming. Powell is on SLU's radar, so I

>appreciate the information.

Thanks. Also, has Kyle Kirk signed or just committed. Has anyone seen him play multiple times. Is he a shooter? I only saw him against Vashon last season and I think he had a lingering injury or something. Lastly Vashon has a message board, at http://vashonhighschool.com/

I rarely post there believe it or not because I like a lot of the area teams, they are just my favorite and its good sound fundamental basketball with some highlights sprinkled here and there. I am a fan of this area's basketball. I do think that SLU must get Powell and Harrellson. These two will be huge additions in class of 2007 with Ian and JJ leaving. Harrellson at 265 is big enough to play center right away and relieve Husak at center and agile enough to challenge Obi and whoever for time at the pf. Powell is a pf who needs to put on some weight. He'll be one of those quick pf's who can step out and hit shots and take you off the bounce if you're flat footed. Could very well be a Sensely type from. That kid from Hawaii gave us fits. Powell is more than an athlete and his jumper is really coming along. His midrange jumper is routine now and he's hit some three this year and isnt afraid to take them. That's usually their end of the half/quarter play once a game.

>Any competiton will be better than the embarrassingly bad,

>recent Poplar Bluff Showdown. Some brutally bad out of

>state teams in that one.

Christ The King is currently ranked #21 in the nation. Huffman that lost to Webster in the Shootout is also there and they have the two starting guards that sat out vs Webster Groves.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/preps/basketball/super25.htm

Vashon is also ranked in the top 25.

and watched Vashon and most of the Kickapoo game, I'll provide a brief synopsis.

Vashon was dominant in their win over Portland Jefferson High, which is where Mizzou's Thomas Gardner went. Jefferson High had one Division I player, who's going to Oregon State next year. They also finished 3rd in state last year. They were undefeated coming into the tournament and ranked third in state in two polls this year.

Vashon's defense was dominating and Jefferson missed many up close shots in the first half. I think they were a bit intimidated. Jefferson made a valiant comeback in the second half, but ran out of steam at the end. Don't remember the score, but I think it was a 20 point win for the V.

Vashon's next opponent will be a handful. While Kickapoo is not as good as last year, Northside High of Louisiana was wiping them off the court. While I thought Kirk showed some good, quick post moves down low, his game was off. He missed many shots from down low, jumpers and from the free throw line. I left at the end of the third quarter and they were down like 50-19 or something like that. Northside lost in the state quarterfinals in Louisiana, but returned four starters from that team and their top player is going to Kentucky next year. I think they will provide Vashon all they can handle, in fact they looked more athletic than Vashon.

In summary, I liked Vashon a lot tonight. They have good depth, guard play and play tenacious defense. Leon Powell had a solid game, but six of his points came in mop-up time. They appeared pretty balanced to me with no one really standing out. I do think they'll give Northside a game tomorrow because I think they're better coached, but they will be facing legitimate competition all weekend.

>and watched Vashon and most of the Kickapoo game, I'll

>provide a brief synopsis.

>

>Vashon was dominant in their win over Portland Jefferson

>High, which is where Mizzou's Thomas Gardner went.

>Jefferson High had one Division I player, who's going to

>Oregon State next year. They also finished 3rd in state

>last year. They were undefeated coming into the tournament

>and ranked third in state in two polls this year.

>

>Vashon's defense was dominating and Jefferson missed many up

>close shots in the first half. I think they were a bit

>intimidated. Jefferson made a valiant comeback in the

>second half, but ran out of steam at the end. Don't

>remember the score, but I think it was a 20 point win for

>the V.

>

>Vashon's next opponent will be a handful. While Kickapoo is

>not as good as last year, Northside High of Louisiana was

>wiping them off the court. While I thought Kirk showed some

>good, quick post moves down low, his game was off. He

>missed many shots from down low, jumpers and from the free

>throw line. I left at the end of the third quarter and they

>were down like 50-19 or something like that. Northside lost

>in the state quarterfinals in Louisiana, but returned four

>starters from that team and their top player is going to

>Kentucky next year. I think they will provide Vashon all

>they can handle, in fact they looked more athletic than

>Vashon.

>

>In summary, I liked Vashon a lot tonight. They have good

>depth, guard play and play tenacious defense. Leon Powell

>had a solid game, but six of his points came in mop-up time.

> They appeared pretty balanced to me with no one really

>standing out. I do think they'll give Northside a game

>tomorrow because I think they're better coached, but they

>will be facing legitimate competition all weekend.

Good analysis. What did you think of the sophomore guard Cornbread Walker. I heard he had 15pts tonight. He was #12.

And I just got a text message that said Powell was in foul trouble and late in the game, they said those 3 buckets you mentioned were dunks on 3 consecutive trips. Is this true?

I didn't have a scorecard, but #12 was a standout. Also, those last 6 points from Powell were monstrous dunks. However, it should be noted that Jefferson's team was spent at the end and Vashon easily broke their press.

This Vashon team was very impressive to me.

It looks like I missed a good one in St. Charles and I'm happy to see the Billikens pull it out in the last seconds. However, Vashon's game wasn't half bad either.

Vashon pulled out a squeaker against Northside, 52-51. I believe Northside's record is 14-5, but do not be deceived. They play a challenging schedule, including a few out of state teams and I don't think they've lost by more than 2 points in any game.

Vashon was in control most of the game, but got into trouble when they tried to slow it down in the last two minutes. Northside's tenacious defense forced some late turnovers and they had a chance to win it with three seconds. While the crowd disputed the non-call, I didn't see any contact by any of the Vashon players as they swatted away a shot in the paint. It looked disputable because Northside's player was triple teamed as he drove to the hole, but I thought Vashon's players went straight up and did not initiate any contact.

Vashon's Hill, Washington and Powell were the three stars tonight. Washington reminded me of SLU's Jamal Walker. That is to say he was a good distributor, showed a decent outside shot, but didn't display the great athleticism like his counterpart from Northside. That Fuselage, Northside's point guard, is one exciting player, but for some reason he couldn't feed their big guy inside, who was nonexistent in the game, but will be going to UK next year. Excellent game plan by Irons in stopping Northside's post player, but I thought he made a mistake at the end in slowing down the tempo.

Vashon has either Christ The King or Santa Fe in the finals tomorrow night.