Here's a center we are chasing

Sheltiedave

deano, the prep route is still a gamble. remember he spends a year out east and who knows who gets to the kid and he would become a recruitable athlete again that would have to be signed again that fall he is away from home. i cant think of one good reason to send a kid to prepland unless it is academics if a program really wants the player.

ask siu or illinois state about sending their kids to prepland. justin dentman (had committed to illinois state) now resides in seattle with romar and josh tabb (had committed to siu) is headed to tennessee and skunk bruce pearl.

I'm for having a 7' guy in the pipeline at all times if we can. I would say if he has any kind of skills he is worth the gamble. Look at Ian and I think we can see Bryce is becoming a player. You just can't look at these kids as college freshmen and make anykind of fair assesment. If he is 7' with a good work ethic, the odds are he will contribute ... Maybe some on ths board who were down on Ian and definately down on Bryce will get it regarding these guys. If he was 7' and had real mobility and skills ... he wouldn't be here for long and in the past was going straight to the NBA. I'll take the guy who redshirts his 1st year, learns his freshman and soph years and contributes his jr and sr years. So far we have done better ... Ian contributed his soph year and is starring in his Jr year. Bryce is contributing in his soph year and I would lay my money on him being a valuable starter during his sr year.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

how can skip be any kind of an official analyst if he doesnt even realize that i have dominated him at sunday pickup basketball for over a year. he has no eye for realism. ;-)

Roy ... I rarely even read your posts as with that statement it's clear you speak nothing but nonsense.

The thing is I score at will and you score at my will also. Like I said previously ... sometimes you score as I nod off once in awhile when I guard you.

>I'm for having a 7' guy in the pipeline at all times if we can.

Skip,

This is true, but that's also true for every other basketball program in the world.

I've always said Mike Tisdale is a guy the Billikens should be looking at. I thought with his weight, a lot of good programs would overlook him. Well, that's not going to be the case.

SLU has an almost 7-footer here in town in DeSmet soph. John Brandenburg. I don't know who has offered him recently, but I don't think the Billikens have. Hopefully they will before all the other schools see what he's got.

- Nate

I understand that ... but guys like Bryce got bypassed, my point was meant to be that I didn't mind a gamble every 2 or 3 years with a guy 7' or very close to it. We are allowed 13 schollies so if 1 is a Jr big man and the other is a redshirt freshman or in his 2nd year as a freshman ... even if they are a bit of a gamble, I say go for it.

Nate: I've got a lot of respect in your judgement regarding area talent but shouldn't Harrellson from St. Charles be a little higher on our radar than Brandenberg ? I have only seen Brandenberg play once and that was this summer. I think he is a good looking kid with lots of potential. At the same time, he is averaging something like 8 pts. a game for an average to poor DeSmet team. I saw Harrelson play twice in the last week and I thought he was great. He's smaller than Brandenberg but has excellent mobility, nice soft touch, 10-12 ft. range with his shot combined with good post and turn moves. Right now he appears to be developed to the point where Frericks was his junior year. He is bigger and a little stronger than O'Rear. I was at the Jennings/St. Charles game with a friend who is a former HS coach. Seated behind us was SIUC's chief recruiter along with another former HS coach. Most people were there to see Watts, but Harrellson turned out to be the talk of the night.

I've never seen the "harrelson" in question but If he's as developed as Frericks was his junior year as a Billiken, then he'd be going to a high level ACC program. Tom was a beast. It's a damn shame we never saw a healthy Tom his senior year. No offense to Ian but we'd have been an NIT team with Tom and Reggie at full strength.

>Nate: I've got a lot of respect in your judgement regarding

>area talent but shouldn't Harrellson from St. Charles be a

>little higher on our radar than Brandenberg ? I have only

>seen Brandenberg play once and that was this summer. I think

>he is a good looking kid with lots of potential. At the same

>time, he is averaging something like 8 pts. a game for an

>average to poor DeSmet team.

I saw Brandenberg against CBC. Yes, he has major potential and like any 15 year old 7 footer, needs to bulk up big time. As for only averaging 8 points a game, my observations were that the coach of DeSmet seems to be overly cautious with him and limits playing time (sat last 5 minutes of the first half yet was not in foul trouble), he got good position but the guards couldn't get the ball to him and therefore he wasn't getting enough shots. Also, with Kowell (6-10 senior) in there with him touches down low often went to him. I think he only had 7 or 8 shots in the game I saw, 3 or 4 from outside of 10 feet when Brandenberg got the ball and decided to put up the shot (he missed all of them). Good shot blocking instincts, good footwork and court awareness too.