Washington sophomore point guard Scott Suggs

DeSmet sophomore center John Brandenburg

Lafayette freshman forward Tyler Griffey

Zumwalt West sophomore forward Jarod Swopshire and guard Ron Waller

- Nate

>As a reporter on hs ball, is it against NCAA regs for you to

>interview Tyus about which school he's leaning towards? Or

>is that taboo?

I do recruiting stories all the time. The P-D runs a football recruiting notebook every week, which has info about kids committing and what schools the kids are looking at.

About Stokes, I really don't know how much SLU is interested. He'll play somewhere, Southern Illinois and Missouri State are the front runners right now, but I don't see SLU being a good fit because of the sophomore point guards the Billikens are recruiting (Washington's Scott Suggs and St. Charles West's Kramer Soderberg).

SLU needs Suggs and Soderberg more than it needs Stokes. And I love Stokes' game; I just think he'll be better off somewhere else.

- Nate

>Why not do a phone interview with Tyus....or would you

>prefer to stay away from that given your Billiken Blue Bias?

>I mean the kid keeps popping up around here. He's not going

>to tease us for the next year or so is he?

Three things:

1) I don't have any reason to do an interview with Tyus right now.

2) I don't have a Billiken Blue bias.

3) I don't expect Tyus to sign with SLU, but it's good for the Billikens that Tyus is hanging out around the program so much.

- Nate

I think SLU really could land Tyus. I think he's going to be 1 and done wherever he goes, so he's going to go somewhere where he will play right away and for a team that will get him a lot of touches. That would be SLU. The only deterrent is that Tyus best gifts are his speed and leaping ability which are best suited for teams that run, run, run, run, and run all night ala Arizona and UNC. That factor might be the only thing keeping Tyus from coming to SLU.

>I think he's going to be 1 and done wherever he goes.

I think that would be a mistake. He's still got two more years of high school, but he's got a lot to improve on before thinking about making the jump to the league.

When I saw Tyus the other night I noticed he was shorter than Tyler Griffey, the Lafayette freshman who is listed at 6-feet-8. Chances are, Griffey isn't 6-8 and Tyus is probably 6-5 or 6-6 instead of the 6-7 he's listed at.

How many 6-6/6-7 forwards (small or power) are there in the NBA?

I'm not saying Tyus will never play in the NBA, but the less people started talking about this crap the better.

Remember when Mizzou fans started talking about Jimmy McKinney being a one or two-year college guy? Or last year on this board with people talking about Tommie Liddell playing only a year or two of college?

These kids need to learn how to play the game and develop and mature before people start sending them off to the League.

- Nate

>>I think he's going to be 1 and done wherever he goes.

>

>I think that would be a mistake. He's still got two more

>years of high school, but he's got a lot to improve on

>before thinking about making the jump to the league.

>

>When I saw Tyus the other night I noticed he was shorter

>than Tyler Griffey, the Lafayette freshman who is listed at

>6-feet-8. Chances are, Griffey isn't 6-8 and Tyus is

>probably 6-5 or 6-6 instead of the 6-7 he's listed at.

>

>How many 6-6/6-7 forwards (small or power) are there in the

>NBA?

>

>I'm not saying Tyus will never play in the NBA, but the less

>people started talking about this crap the better.

>

>Remember when Mizzou fans started talking about Jimmy

>McKinney being a one or two-year college guy? Or last year

>on this board with people talking about Tommie Liddell

>playing only a year or two of college?

>

>These kids need to learn how to play the game and develop

>and mature before people start sending them off to the

>League.

>

>- Nate

Tyus is in fact 6'7. Some services list him at and when he played with 6'9 Kalen Grimes at Central two years ago he wasnt much shorter than him. There are a ton of 6'6 6'7 small forwards in the NBA, in fact most teams start a sf that size. And there are 6'7 6'8 pf's in the NBa like Hakim Warrick, Al Jefferson, Mike Sweetney, Marvin Williams, Shawn Marion, Wayne Simien, Udonis Haslem, Elton Brand, Ikde Diogu, Malik Rose, Mo Taylor, and many more. Tyus will play sf, so that doesnt even matter. I dont know where you got that bogus height from. He was 6'7 as a freshman at H. Central. What are you talking about. If he was 6'5 there wouldnt be so much hype. Being 6'7 or 6'8 makes you that more of an intriguing prospect because you can maybe play and defend maybe one more position. Tyus has otherworldly athleticism. He was the coming out star of the ABCD Camp. He started off not starting for his own team and ended the camp with a higher player rating than Mayo and Walker and ended up starting in the All-Star Game. He wasnt even starting on his own team and not only made the All-Star Game, but ended up as the starter. Playing at SLU he would definitely be 1 and done. Tyus might even be a McDonald's All-American.

>Tyus is in fact 6'7. Some services list him at and when he

>played with 6'9 Kalen Grimes at Central two years ago he

>wasnt much shorter than him.

Maybe that's because Grimes was closer to 6-7 than he was 6-9.

>Playing at SLU he would definitely be 1 and done. Tyus might even be a McDonald's

>All-American.

So Tyus might be a McDonald's All-American, which would mean he's probably considered the 20-30th best player in his senior class.

But then he's going to go to SLU for one year and be good enough to enter the draft right away, which would mean he's among the top 40 basketball players in the world who could enter the draft that year?

This is exactly the kind of stuff I was talking about. Let the kid go to college and get better before you start talking about him going to the League. There's plenty of high school and college kids getting bad information and end up bouncing around in foreign leagues instead of sitting on the bench in the NBA.

And don't forget you're talking about a kid who has yet to get through a high school season without quitting his team.

- Nate

He didnt quit the team any of those years, his dad pulled him off a couple of times. Last year was the only year he missed any significant time. Secondly, he's at a prep school now where he's playing schools like Oak Hill in front of 20 scouts a night, so he's not going anywhere. He's a junior in high school with this much ability and the better part of two years left in high school to get even better so I think I can project him in the NBA in the next 5 years. Coming to SLU would guarantee him X amount of touches so he could showcase himself enough to consider making the leap. I expect Tyus to average more than Liddell will as a SLU freshman and that should be enough for an NBA team to gamble on a freshman like they did with Gerald Wallace, Joe Johnson, Corey Maggette, and Chris Bosh

vtime, surely you arent slipping back into the problack era are you? this string is about as goofy comments as you used to make back in the day.

I have seen both Suggs and Soderberg and I really don't think there is much there. All of the schools hounding suggs are putting a lot into his potential; it is there, but he will have to develop far more than where he is now and I don't think that Washington High School is the place for that, however, I believe he plays for the STL Eagles which will be a big help. And for Kramer, he has the shot, but the defense, speed, and ball handling must come along. They are both still young and I hope they do develop like they should, I think it would be great for the Bills to keep the St. Louis area stars.

>I have seen both Suggs and Soderberg and I really don't think there is much there.

GrandBill,

There are several people in the game who think differently, especially about Suggs.

If you look at Lorenzo Romar's recent recruiting success at Washington, which includes an NBA lottery pick last spring, that should be proof that the coach can evaluate talent.

Suggs' team isn't very good. I think in the end that will make him a better player, but for now it probably makes him look worse than he is. He has the potential -- I know, a dangerous word -- to be one of the nation's top recruits as a senior.

- Nate