Soccer: A communist plot?

Scrivener

I got a kick ;-) out of the following item that takes a bead on soccer (which the blog editor calls "metric football") It appeared in yesterday's Best of the Web on OpinionJournal.com.

RED CARD

Our item yesterday on metric football prompted this reply from reader Eddie Staples:

While I certainly sympathize with your attitude toward this "sport" implicit in the name you give it, I think the appropriate disdain can only be shown by calling it what it really is: communist football. Consider:

* No one understands the rules.

* Workers are prohibited from using the tools that would let them be more productive (hands).

* From time to time petty bureaucrats (officials) interfere with play in such a way as to limit production.

* Players, coaches, officials and fans are all fully involved (employed) and yet output is miniscule.

* Any production is met by celebration all out of proportion to its objective value.

* Followers are slavishly (religiously?) devoted to the system and their own brand of it and resort to violence at any criticism of either.

Good points all, but "communist" and "metric" turn out to be inextricably linked. The Soviet Union used the metric system, and Cuba, North Korea, Red China and Vietnam still do.

Here's the link (final item):

http://www.opinionjournal.com/best/?id=110007158

I knew it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO COWBOYS and REAL AMERICAN FOOTBALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not a commie, but I do hope to see the USA join the rest of the world and adopt the metric system before I die.

I rememberr hearing talk about it 30 years ago, but never hear anything anymore.

I was in Sweden in 1967 when they changed driving on the left side of the road to the right, that worked pretty seamlessly.

Actually, officially the US is the ONLY country in the world not to use the metric system. Liberia and Myanmar have had dictators that do not support the switch. But both countries are lousy at soccer. Myanmar has too much natural fluoride in their water.

England is good at soccer and the people love it. They are officially metric although many people use non-metric measures. A lot of people are against fluoridation though. Many are against communism although not everybody.

Canada is metric but they hate soccer and communism. They like fluoridation though. Australia has too much fluoride in their water, but they like cycling and soccer. The mind staggers.

Communists will steal your bodily fluids.

I watched "Red Dawn" the other night on Spike TV and immediately wanted to go out and do my part to rid the world of communists.

In a strange way my life has revolved around the communist threat and still does. I'm not fond of them and they usually stink at Soccer.

If we didn't have inches how would I know that I am above average? Huh?

I remember pompous windbag, Hanoi Jane Fonda lover (at that time) Ted Turner shortly after it was released bought the production company that made Red Dawn and promised not to make movies like that anymore.

WOLVERINES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know I've seen soccer on TBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The plot thickens.........THE MANCHURIAN TROPHY WIFE!