SLU Men's Basketball 2005-2006 Starting lineup.

VTIME

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, Polk has a bad freshman year shooting from the field and you forget what kind of long range sniper he is. He'll finish on the break with a lay up or a dunk. Polk can definitely finish. SLU doesnt get out and run anyway so, it really doesnt make a whole lot of difference who gets the outlet pass. I just hope we dont have a replay of last yr when Polk consistently pushed the ball and no one ran with him. In the halfcourt Liddell is best suited for pg. He's the best decision maker, can make the low post entry pass easily because of his size. He WANTS to be the distributor. As long as Lisch, Polk, and Liddell all start I dont care who runs the pg. In the A-10 we could easily get away with playing Luke Meyer a lot at the 4 and thats probably our best lineup offensively. I wouldnt hesitate to start Meyer at the pf. With IV at the center.

C Voyoukas

F Meyer

G Liddell

G Lisch

G Polk

I dont have a problem with this starting lineup.

LM may in fact play some at the 4, probably depends on matchups. In the half court all guards should have the opportunity to create and make plays on their own. On the break the outlet should go to Polk. Forget his first year, it doesn't take much to see DP is probably quicker than TL and TL is the one you would prefer to have finishing at the basket not DP.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

I doubt Luke Meyer would be very effective playing the power forward spot alongside Polk, Liddell and Lisch. That would take Meyer out of what he does well in the 2/3 spot. He's not really a rebounder, so you'd have four guards and a center on the floor.

I have no problems with the law firm (ball firm?) of Polk, Liddell and Lisch on the floor together, but you need two bigs out there to rebound, score on high-percentage shots around the basket and play defense. Yes, I know Liddell can rebound. But he would be better served either pushing the break or being the first guy down there finishing.

The talent the Billikens have at guard now -- with Polk, Drejaj, Meyer, Brown, Liddell and Lisch -- should make it easier for the big guys on both ends of the floor. In theory, you should be able to use several of the big guys in rotation to keep them fresh and keep them playing hard, especially on the offensive and defense boards.

- Nate

No, actually Polk didnt. Ofcourse all 3 guards pushed the ball, because they are a running team, but Polk was never a pg at Vashon. His sophomore season was his best year. He emerged on the scene as a scorer. He was averaged double figures despite Kern and McKinney putting up stellar numbers. He was incredibly efficient and second on the team in assists. Polk was NEVER the point guard at Vashon. Over the last 10 years, the starting pg position has gone from Cooper to Akins, to McKinney to Jackson to Washington. Watch out for the potential next Dwayne Polk in 5'7 freshman Darron Hobbs who wears Polk's old #00. Polk is a diminutive sg who can play pg, but he's not a pg. Irons brought him in as a shooter and that was his primary role.

Polk is a pg in height only. You dont try to change a player's position if it's not absolute necessary. Washington, had a very small sg as well in Nate Robinson. They didnt try and play him as a pg even though he had a decent assist average in high school. Robinson is a scorer and so is Polk, you play them on the wing.

he underachieved because he has yet shown the dedication to get his body in the best shape it can be. too often he tires, and considering his bulk, he gets pushed around more than he should. that all said, he is the best we got.

skip, i disagree, no one on the team since david burns would have been able to get out on the break and beat everyone down the floor as polk will. plus since liddell is a million times a better passer, i have to agree with problack.

>>Polk is not a pg. Last year was the first time he played pg since elementary school.<<

Yadda yadda high school, yadda yadda elementary school. Vtime, you have watched Mr. Polk prior to his time at SLU more than the rest of us no doubt; however, I doubt you have been following the Billikens over the years. Forget HS. Forget elementary school. Polk has played a full season of D1 college basketball as the starting PG. No other player on the team can say that. Honestly, Dwayne's career at Vashon is irrelevant at this point. What he has done or not done since arriving at SLU is all that matters now.

Coach Soderberg hates relying upon freshman especially at PG. Yeah, everyone can talk and talk about Soderberg's motion offense and how the 3 guards are interchangeable once they settle down into the half-court set. But the PG still sets the tempo and handles the pressure (and we will get pressed). Brad has said we will run more. PG initiates it. PG decides whether or not to back it out and set up in half-court. Polk will start the season as our PG, I'd bet on it. Might Tommie take an increasing roll at PG not only once this season gets underway but also as his career progresses? That very well could be true but it shall be a gradual thing. It's just Soderberg's way. He's very loyal to the players with the most time in the system.

Another bone to pick: you must not have seen Ian play the second half of last year. It makes a difference when this 6'11" 255 horse is in the lineup. Getting 10-12 points per game from Ian V. in the paint (which he is capable of deliverying) is essential.

Anyone who saw the Demetrious Johnson All-Star clearly saw why Tommie Liddell should/will be the Billikens starting pg this winter. He needs the ball in his hands. The team couldnt do anything when he was orchestrating it for them from the pg position. When he played on the wing, he was less effective, getting stuck in the corners with not much room to operate, but using his deceptive crossover and explosive, he picked a part the oppositions defense all night. Someone in an earlier post said Liddell was the best player on the floor last night. I disagree. He was clearly the best player on the local squad though. The best player on the court was Martellus "Cash Money" Bennett. He was as advertised. He bullied his way inside for dunks. He stepped out and hit 3's in third quarter. He crashed the boards for tip in. He blocked shots. He did everything. Leo Criswell was the second best player on the floor. Mizzou is lucky to get him, but Snyder will find a way to ruin him. Liddell was the best guard on either side and is just so smooth. It was funny seeing him without his braids. Good thing his name isnt Samson Liddell.

You dont need two bigs out there in the A10. You can run a 4-guard lineup in college basketball now and be effective and prosperous. I know Alan Anderson and Roger Powell are 220+, but they also play in conferences that are stronger than the A10. I hope one of the other bigs steps up alongside Voyoukas, Newborne, Johnson,Obi, maybe even Husak. But I'm not scared to go a starting lineup with 4 guards. I must say Soderberg has a nice collection of young local talent. He will have 4 local guys playing big roles.

You earn what you get under Brad Soderberg yes, but at most of the big time schools, the heavily recruited guys will play regardless of who outplays them in practice. I dont care how hard some incoming freshman outplays Dee Brown in practice Bruce Weber is still going to start Dee Brown over that kid.

you are WRONG. no winning coach plays a player just because. the reason dee brown will play is that dee brown is the best player and consistently does the things that make him better. the coach that plays a player based on press clippings and potential is the coach on early spring break.

i doubt if any school presidents are doling out pt in college basketball. you are delusional.