DJ All-Star Game on Saturday at Fontbonne

This has probably already been posted, but...

The Demetrious Johnson High School All-Star Basketball Game is 7 p.m. Saturday at Fontbonne University (6800 Wydown Blvd).

Tommie Liddell is expected to play in this game, though Oki Ikeakor and Kevin Lisch are not.

Missouri recruits Leo Criswell and DeAndre Thomas are expected to play, as are Illinois recruits Chester Frazier, Charles Jackson and Jamar Smith.

It looks like there is an interesting group of players. Of course, you'd like to see Lisch and Ikeakor in there, but it still looks like a good group.

- Nate

For one, I thought the quality of play was down from previous years. There were some spectacular plays and standout performances, but I didn't come away that impressed. I never saw so many missed dunks.

As for Liddell, many of you know I've been lukewarm on him, but he was silky smooth tonight. Still have my doubts about his passion and competitiveness, but he certainly is skilled at taking players off the dribble and finding the open man.

As for Mizzou recruits, Criswell was an impressive-looking specimen. I think Quin will like him. None of the other Mizzou recruits stood out.

People raved about Marcus Walker of KC, but I can't get too excited about a 5'11 shooting guard. The player, who stood out to me was Devezin. He was a jet-quick, 5'10 PG, who's going to Texas A&M. He had 1 minute sequence in the 2nd quarter that was one of the most impressive sequences that I've seen. Of all the players I saw tonight, he was the one who I would project having the most success. My sleeper pick would be Kenny Daniels, whose athleticism stood out. I heard he's going JUCO and I'd keep an eye out for him.

The game was a blowout, but that was because St. Louis was thoroughly lacking in depth. I liked the Howell Central guard, Fuehrmeyer, and Taylor of Alton was decent. But no one else stood out to me on the local squad.

Lastly, I didn't care for any of Illinois' recruits.

Tonights game was an example of why Liddell needs to be the pg. He creates for himself and teammates and is always under control. Kenny Daniels and his eight dunks were impressive. You must be joking if you dont think Deandre Thomas had a great game in addition to Leo Criswell. Play of the night was Kenny Daniels with the crossover and going straight down the middle for the one-handed slam. 6'8 Chris Kellerman missed six dunks. Shipley and Fuhrmeyer showed me that they cant create their own shot. Eric Jones was impressive from 3pt range. Liddell was dazzling and was clearly the best player on the local squad. Criswell showed a hell of a lot, and Martellus Bennett showed why his name is in the NBA draft. "Cash Money"

Deandre Thomas is a big lug, who barely could make layups. I will say he showed good touch on the FT line. However, he's a long-range project. I agree that Criswell was very impressive.

As for Fuehrmeyer, he showed he could handle pressure well and the ability to penetrate and create for his teammates. He'll be solid at SW Mo St, but he'll have trouble beating out Laurie up there.

Their big guy, Charles Jackson, did some damage inside, but they appeared nondescript to me. However, you can only tell so much from an all-star game. Their guard from MD, Chester Frazier didn't handle the ball much and I don't even know if he shot the ball. Jamar Smith might have had one dunk, but I don't remember him doing much else. It's hard, though, when you don't get the ball.

Tommie Liddell needs to have the ball in his hands from the first day he steps on the floor as a Billiken. no questions asked. I watched him score almost 40 points tonight without a drop of selfishness. he made one highlight reel play after another, but still tried to play a team game. if you know what you're watching, you can see that he is a special type of player. I bet he had close to a triple-double. I can't wait to watch his career unfold at slu, however long it may be.

bad boyz for life

p.s. the st. louis team really missed kevin tonight.

For one, I thought the quality of play was down from

previous years. There were some spectacular plays and

standout performances, but I didn't come away that

impressed. I never saw so many missed dunks.

This is about the only thing we agree on.

As for Liddell, many of you know I've been lukewarm on him,

but he was silky smooth tonight. Still have my doubts

about his passion and competitiveness, but he certainly is

skilled at taking players off the dribble and finding the

open man.

Exactly what game were you watching. Tommie finished the game with 31 points and 5 assists. He finished the 1st half with only 10 points. Still have your doubts about his passion. He was the only player who could create his own offense. Took several guys to the cup and dunk on them and tried to throw it down on Illinois signee Charles Jackson with 10 seconds remaining. What else does Liddell have to do to meet your approval? He was aggressive for the whole game, grabbing rebounds in traffic, changing shots, and making steals. He was by far the best player on the court, sadly his team's big men were not up to the task

What's up Deano, I wish I had some good news to relay,but it's hard to judge on these all-star games. Chester Frazier played under control and seems to sacrifice his offense for the team. I was not overly impressed with Charles Jackson. He and Deandre Thomas appeared to be the same type of player. Jackson should consider a red-shirt to get in better condition. I can't remember the kids from Peoria name, however he seems to possess a big time jumpshot.

It was a track meet with a lot of spectacular dunks, missed dunks, and One crossover moves and the worst defense I've seen in DJ's all-star games. I enjoyed it but this wasn't really basketball.

Those of us who have seen Tommie in real games already knew what we have in him so it was no great surprise that he could get to the basket anytime he wants. It won't be quite as easy knifing through Temple or Xavier's frontline but he certainly will be a great improvement over anything we had last year. I'm hoping for a Sammy Mejia-type impact.

Pretty good defense, especially from the National team, I dont know what game you were watching. Every there was a long rebound, the National team turned it into a transition basket. Thats not bad defense, thats a good job of taking advantage of transition opportunities. 6'8 Chris Kellerman hit like 6 threes and missed 6 dunks. Thats awfully backwards. Matt Lawrence showed some real toughness. Fuhrmeyer and Landon Shipley showed me nothing. Barnett played well also, good defense, nice drop step dunk, the first for the St. Louis team in the game. Did anybody spot me?

and Liddell turns out to be a lottery pick and leads SLU to the Big Dance. Never said he didn't have a great game, but I'll be interested in seeing how his game progresses over time. It'll take a LOT of hard work and dedication to make the NBA.

If Liddell doesnt get any better than he is now, he will still be a double figure scorer from day one. All freshman team in the A10. It's not his fault that he makes the game look easy. People used to say the same things about Tayshaun Prince. He's just so smooth, his demeanor, temperment. He's always under control. That tip dunk and those lefthanded tips he had. Layups dunks, and that one short jumper. He can really shoot, but didnt have to because they couldnt keep him from doing what he wanted and he threw a nice alley-oop to Daniels in the first quarter.

With the exception of prep schooler Tommie Liddell, I thought the talent base on the St. Louis roster was the lowest it has been in years.

TL was excellent, even if you consider the 2-3 careless

(all-star game influenced) turnovers he had. TL scores with ease around the rim and in the paint. TL's low-keyed personality on the court has been the same as it was thoughtout high school. TL floor personailty is not going to change....and thank God for that! He is not a chest-thumper; he is calm, collected and productive. I'm excited about seeing TL play with his talented SLU teammates. TL will make them more productive and they will make TL more productive.

The St. Louis bigs were horrible, but the wings Lawrence, Barnett, Jones, Daniels and Hill all played well. They cut the game down to 11 briefly in the fourth quarter. The bigs and pgs did play terrible with the exception of Liddell. Liddell was unproductive when they played him at sf for spurts. He needs the ball in his hands. He's a wonderful creator for himself and others. Let him run point BRAD SODERBERG!

I hope he is a lottery pick as soon as possible. His status a big time NBA draft pick will mean this team is on the rise and will draw in other big recruits. Liddell is a program changer, but this team will not fade back into mediocrity after he's gone like it did after graduation of Hughes and Justin Love.