Scheyer to Duke

kshoe

Looks like the Illini lost another top in-state prospect to the Dukies. Gotta wonder if Weber will ever be able to recruit at a top 10 level.

Part of me wishes the Illini would land guys like this and not need to recruit more marginal Illinois players that SLU would love to have.

People in Big 12 and Big 10 country love to whine about the ACC media bias but as long as the ACC can steal studs like Hansborough and Scheyer from the backyards of Mizzou and Illinois the ACC will continue to be the best conference in b-ball.

I am not ready to judge Weber off of one kid. Scheyer has talked Duke for a long long time. Chris Collins, Duke's top recruiter is a graduate of Scheyer's high school, Glenbrook North. And Coach K is a Chicago native.

There are a lot of kids downstate and in Chi town that Weber can get. Now, he may or may not be able to recruit at U of I, but I will give him a chance to see if he can...

Weber's run last year will not bear recruiting fruit for at least 2-3 years. Kids who are going to be seniors already have coaches deep in on them. Before Weber can be evaluated as a top recruiter you have to give him a couple of more years to be fair. That being said, his ability to recruit at that level was a concern some had at IL when he was hired.

I'm not writing him off but he has been there for 2+ years now and has lost many recruiting battles. I think if you talk to any true Illinois fans they will express a good amount of concern over his performance as a recruiter.

I wonder how big a loss this is. Michael Thompson, Sean Dockery and Chris Collins were all Hamburger All-Americans that went to Duke but the first two haven't done much and the last was an OK player on a mediocre team. Here are Scheyer's stats from last year - he shot less than 50% from the field and less than 35% from three:

http://www.ihsa.org/activity/bkb/tourney/2info5.htm

Weber is off to a good start in this class with Semrau -- if he can add Sherron Collins and another Top 75 caliber talent, this will be a very good class.

nationally and led his team to the Illinois large school state championship. I've never seen him play but it seems like a big loss to me. Furthermore, you don't see too many 6'5 white kids jumping to the NBA so they may have lost a 4 year stud.

when watching him at the shootout, while you could see potential with the height and smooth play, and ball skills, i wasnt awed. to be completely honest, he didnt seem like much more than what i remember chris sloan to be his senior year in high school. so i tend to agree with 3 star and wonder out loud if weber really pursued him all out.

it was in the afternoon. but dont remember which game. it was probably right after lunch so you probably did not see him then.

Well he definitely has more ball skills than Chris Sloan but he just seems to be a classic example of a kid that is a great high school player because 6'6 shooting guards are very hard to stop at that level. He just didn't seem to do anything particularly well besides handle and shoot free throws, which is great if he is a point guard but I don't think he is.

Roy....seriously....how many times are you going to judge the "play" and "talent" of a player on one freakin game. I hope you don't show up the one night I lay an egg or play a bad or average game. WOW!

At least see a few games...

Weber wanted this kid bad....how bad, very bad.

He can go get other kids and be fine...

There is nothing wrong with taking a pass on talking about someone's ability because you have only seen them play one time.

Let's take the shootout for example...I remember Zo Mourning and Ellis hooking up for that low scoring 40's game. I think they turned out okay. Thankfully I didn't judge Larry Hughes on a couple of his high school losses to DeSmet when he didn't have special games.

Even wondering whether or not Weber was recruiting him that hard...is ridiculous. This kid saddled his high school team on his shoulders and won round after round against some tough high school competition....and that doesn't even cover his individual talent. Weber was said to have been heart broken he didn't pick U of I. Now, he may be a likely superstar at Duke and beyond, or maybe he won't....but he is a top of the line recruit. Cream of the crop. That part is for sure.

i never said he wasnt a good player. i said he never stood out with any of his skills. chris sloan was the best player in st louis his senior year in high school. so i dont consider that comparison as a put down.

my point was i didnt see any ankle snapping crossovers, or allen iverson speed, or hands above the rim, or dazzling shaun livingston passes that leave you saying, "how did he see and do that?" he was a solid player with good size for a high school wing that didnt make any mistakes.

now if you are saying he indeed has all those skills he just didnt exhibit them in st louis, then my question is why not? that would insinuate he didnt try his best that day. now if it was a matter that he chucked up 30 missed shots then i might understand someone saying "maybe he had a bad day."

I know this is a private debate so excuse the intrusion. The argument appears to be that there is something wrong with a highly touted player who does not rise to the occasion at a big event like the shootout. Well, what if the only game I ever saw Kevin Lisch play was at the shootout last year? Don't think I'd be too impressed with him. Yes, he got in foul trouble but the point being that here was Kevin (someone we all agree is an excellent player) on a large stage and didn't produce. It happens.

again, i never said he didnt have a good game. i said his natural skills didnt stand out. i am sure he will be a good college player.

as to the rip on lisch at the shootout. even in the 5 minutes he played because of the our jerkoff ref friend from st charles, he had two awesome crossovers, went behind his back knifing between two defenders on a break, and stole the ball from walker at the beginning of the third quarter. i.e. he showed some of the natural skills that would tell someone that there is more there than the boxscore said that night.

Thought I would join the conversation. I saw Scheyer play 3 times this year at the state tournament and 3 times two years ago also at the state tournament. This year he had some exceptional scoring games and just fell short of Marcus Liberty's scoring record. I certainly didn't see too many weaknesses. He did score alot of points on back door baseline cuts. I thought that his team was the most fundamentally sound team at the tournament which really helps him. The only concern I had with him is a lack of upper body strength that maybe a strong physical defender could give him problems. I've see Lisch play about the same number of times. I would have liked to seen him guard Scheyer. I think Kevin is the better athlete. What sort of surprises me with him going to Duke is that his high school coach is Bruce Weber's brother.

Nebraska Bob, if you read or hear anything about him...he has wanted to play for Duke since he was 5 years old. Coach K is from Chicago, and has history of recruiting the area. Assistant coach Chris Collins, former Dukie and son of former Bulls coach Doug Collins, played at the same high school as Scheyer. I firmly believe the only reason Illinois was in the mix was the Weber brother connection, or U of I had no shot.

courtside said, "I firmly believe the only reason Illinois was in the mix was the Weber brother connection, or U of I had no shot."

i totally agree.