Mason leaving Marquette

slu72

read on espn this morning. Glenn Mason is transferring from MU. Crean's gonna wish he was with us and Charlotte next year in the A-10...can anyone say doormat? Also, now that DePaul is Big East, wonder why Leiato(sp?)was so quick to jump ship. Guess the lure of the almighty ACC is just too much to pass up.

>read on espn this morning. Glenn Mason is transferring from

>MU. Crean's gonna wish he was with us and Charlotte next

>year in the A-10...can anyone say doormat?

I had no idea Glenn Mason played at Marquette while coaching Minnesota. Pretty talented guy.

Seriously, the class Crean has coming in is ranked in the top 10 nationally (with another verbal announced today - 2nd PF in 3 days) and the fact is Mason saw the writing on the wall with the players coming in and like Lavender at Oklahoma he wasn't willing to stick it out and face the competition and decided to transfer instead.

As for Leitao, he wants the UConn job when Calhoun but it is almost unprecedented to move to another job within the same confernece. Thus Virginia made sense for him. Plus, he getting double what DePaul could offer him.

why wouldn't I when they just signed their 2nd stud PF in 3 days (to go along with the 2 sophomore bigs they have coming back).

Yes, I am disappointed with the Mason transfer, I had high expectations for him - everyone did. But, with the class Crean has coming in (due in major part to being in the Big East) it softens the blow a lot. The team will be young and probably be fighting to be in the 8-12 range in the Big East next year, but it's not going to be the disaster slu72 is predicting and everyone else here is hoping for.

there are rumors of two and maybe even three more players bolting milwaukee...

did tom crean make dwayne wade? or did dwayne wade make tom crean?

IMO - crean should give DW 45 cents on every dollar he ever makes in perpetuity.

crean better show something in the next two seasons....as it is - he might be the most overpaid guy in college basketball.

i think marquette is in real trouble in the BE...but thats just my opinion, man.

>there are rumors of two and maybe even three more players

>bolting milwaukee...

-Those rumors are bogus.

>

>did tom crean make dwayne wade? or did dwayne wade make tom

>crean?

-a little of A and a little of B.

>

>IMO - crean should give DW 45 cents on every dollar he ever

>makes in perpetuity.

>

-I'm thinking closer to 10 cents...

>crean better show something in the next two seasons....as it

>is - he might be the most overpaid guy in college

>basketball.

-I agree that he needs to show that it wasn't all Wade. However, if Diener doesn't get injured MU makes the tourney this year. Diener was injured in December (and they still whipped Elite 8 Wisconsin), re-injured in early January, out in late January then done in late February.

>i think marquette is in real trouble in the BE...but thats

>just my opinion, man.

-your opinion and you're entitled to them. Obviously MU has to step up recruiting a notch but that will happen with the Big East. CUSA was a detriment in recruiting against the Big Ten and Big 12. This year's class reminds me a lot of Villanova's from 2003. While they went to the NIT their first 2 years they were one controversial call from going to the Elite 8 as juniors. It will be tough at first but they'll be fine in the long run.

hate to tell you - but the rumors aren't bogus - not based on where i am hearing them from - it is possible thinking about it now - that mason is one of the three though.

diener is/was a terrific player - but there was no quality depth at that position and no one else who could step up and score for the warriors - and that's on TC.

TC looks to be having trouble keeping players and asst coaches - and that just doesn't bode too well for the future of MU hoops.

i like for all the jesuit schools to do well - but i think marquette is looking for a fall.

coach mcguire will be rolling over in his grave.

yeah, the PG thing was a major issue, but TC did what he could. He recruited Brandon Bell, beating out Pitt, Arizona and Ohio State for him. Top PG in MI and top 100 overall nationally. What happened after that wasn't TC's fault, that's for sure. Then he brought in Berkowicz from Isreal, beating out G-town and DePaul for him. 18 year old kid got homesick and left after three weeks. What can you do? Mason was supposed to be the guy to step up and score but he was so weak taking it to the hole his shooting percentage sucked down the stretch. Novak is a fine #2 option but doesn't have the ability to be the #1 option and with Mason not doing his job Novak couldn't do his.

As for the thing regarding the assistants, what can you do? Not hire guys who are going to be highly sought-after as head coaches? Buckley, Horn, Kowalczyk and Green all became head coaches and Stephens left to go to his alma mater and home. Nature of the beast, happens at every school.

MU will be just fine. 2 words....Dominic James.

two cents....Mason regressed a little this year...highly touted Chicago kid, top 40 recruit...they all don't pan out...he is classic tweener....6'5, but not a great handle, or great jumper, and certainly not the best court awareness...great in high school, a nice start...but didn't improve and thought he was better than he was....to be frank all of the kids that left Marquette weren't good enough to play for a top 25 team....so no loss there...but...the coach has to bear responsibility for bringing in kids in the first place who aren't good enough. When he started Crean got caught offering too many schollies...the Final Four is a big big deal, paid for the new prac facility, increase attendance, $$ etc...etc....and it will get him two more years.....by all accounts their class is top 10, best Crean has had(minus Wade)...on paper....they should be a bubble team next year.

It is interesting ...the pattern of bringing in kids who think they are bigger than the team....and aren't as good as they think they are....we'll see

you nit the nail on the head regarding Mason - thought he was better than he really was. However, I don't know if that's a major pattern for the kids who transferred or that every kid was not good enough to a program the caliber of Marquette. Blankson certainly was good enough, he just got influenced by people who were putting their interests ahead of his and he even told a recruit to UNLV to go to Marquette and that his biggest mistake was leaving MU (the recruit listened). Bell was good enough to make it but there were other issues which couldn't have been foreseen (Crean had known the kid since Brandon was in 6th grade), Matthews earned his ticket out of Milwaukee, Bradley and Howard could have stuck it out but attitude and injuries contributed to their decisions to leave. Menard, well, that was a mistake on Crean's part.

Transfers happen - look at Oklahoma and all of the kids they've lost over the past few years.

By the way, nobody else from this year's team is transferring.

>I think school is still out on if Crean is a great college

>coach or not. Time will certainly tell and MU will have

>it's hands full in their new environment. It will be

>interesting to see how they fare.

Crean has never been a GREAT college coach. If you had said good, I could live with that.