X-Files

slu72

Maybe it's just me but do I get the sense a number of posters are not in favor of X Price becoming a Billiken? I don't get it, if he had accepted SLU's offer a year ago, we would have been estatic...now it's like big deal maybe we should hold the scholie? Let's not fool ourselves like we did before last season, where we overestimate the talent on this team. No team ever has enough talent to pass on more.

I got the opposite feeling ... that most people were in favor of us getting X if we can. I know there were a couple of people that were against it ... but I don't remember many.

I know I am 100% for it ... especially after seeing he shot 43% from the 3 as a freshman.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

I don't see too many negatives (or negative posts)about Xavier coming here. I'd love to see him in Billiken Blue. There are a couple questions which occur however. Does he have the Braditude to succeed as a Billiken? Also does Brad want him? Carfully parsing the words of the coaching staff could lead you to believe that we either aren't interested or it's all but a done deal.

With Darren leaving it would seem to be no-brainer IF..........

Agree the majority want him...just couldn't understand those who don't seem to...Hate the term no brainer, but it seems to apply here, unless UB and staff have locks for the other 3 and feel improves the team more than X would...get him signed up ASAP, before SIU sneaks in there and he lays down 20+ against us in the future.

who said they didnt want him? i know i questioned whether he would come here, but there is no denying x price's skills.

i still will believe it when i see it though.

"I know I am 100% for it ... especially after seeing he shot 43% from the 3 as a freshman"

X shot 43% form the 3 but was 14-32 in 26 games. That is barely shooting ONE a game. Can you really call X a 43% 3 point shooter with only 32 attempts taken in an entire year? In addition, while he played 15 minutes a game for 26 games X shot only 14 freethrows. What is the attraction? We do not need more athletes to play defense we need more shooters!!!! Shooters fit Brad's style not athlectic players. Why do you think we struggled early last year until he started playing more offensive minded players(Meyer).

For those of you who have said SLU would have taken him out of high school you are propbaly correct. But now things have changed. Now we have D. Brown. The appear to be the same type of player.

Is X really any better than what we have or just more of the same? We need offensive players who can shoot for Brad's system.

Again, Brad's call. I don't follow Purdue hoops enough to know if Xavier was or wasn't green lighted to fire at will. If you took a look at luke Meyer's stat line for the first half of last season, you wouldn't expect much production from him this year.

Regardless of how many attempts he took, Xavier has a good percentage from the three point line and should more than adequately replace Clarke, should Brad want him. I will not be po'd if he dosen't come, assuming we've got bigger (or more useful) fish on the line.......

We always need to go with different line-ups against different teams (and different situations for that matter). If St. Joe's were to run out a "4 guard" offense against us--which they did several times last year, I say we should match it.

I think we have enough scholarships and a place on the roster for X. Yes he only took 32 attempts ... but he only played 15 minutes a game, he was a freshman and backed up a Jr and a Sr guard who were pretty good. When he did take them he hit them.

For comparison from 3 ...

Dwayne ... 20-76 26% 28 minutes pg

Danny .... 13-40 32% 20 mpg

Luke ..... 6-18 33% 15 mpg

X ........ 14-32 43% 15 mpg

Our guys were backing up Drejaj and a hurt Reggie ... and couldn't get on the floor much more than X for a bad team. Statwise except for freethrows attempted he looks to be an upgrade over Danny or Luke.

People get injured ... you need depth and we have the scholarship available ... he will replace AD ... after a year of sitting out ... though he will be able to work out and get a handle on Brad's system for that year.

Have you ever seen X play?

Yes, I have seen him play. I think he can be a good player in the right system, just not Brad's. Take X's name out of the equation does this team need a player like X or a 6'3" player like Lisch who can shoot. The answer is simple we need shooters and proven offensive players. X has never been known as a shooter. If all we want to do is try to hold teams under 50 to win than X is our guy. If we want to start scoring and putting people back in the seats at Savvis (SLU ARENA)we have to start generating some offense. The years we were succesful with SpoonBall we had three shooters. This team may not have one. If you can shoot you can beat teams that are better than you if you can't shoot you almost never beat a team that is better than you. West Virginia run in the NCAA is a perfect example. West Virginia can find shooters why can't SLU?

As for him replacing AD. How often have people complained about AD's lack of offense production. Now we are going to replace him with someone who doesn't even has his numbers offensively. The stats below illustrate below how important it is that we get a Guard/Wing/Forward who can shoot the 3.

Dwayne ... 20-76 26% 28 minutes pg

Danny .... 13-40 32% 20 mpg

Luke ..... 6-18 33% 15 mpg

i think he wants pt. and to be honest, he is almost a duplicate player of danny brown. i.e. he is not going to be starting out at the top of the depth chart imo. i would take liddell, lisch and at least polk over price and when you figure in intangibles, meyer is probably a better player as well. i wont deny price is a fabulous athlete. i have seen his hand up by that square a lot of times watching x. but unfortunately this is basketball and not a track meet.

price is a better player than clarke imo. so if the goal is to substitute body for body, then price for clarke is a good deal.

while i believe that drejaj is a better overall basketball player right now than x price, price is a far superior offensive player when he has the ball in his hands. the question is can he and brad meld. apparently that is tougher than it appears. ask justin johnson and duane clarke who were more talented athletes that sat the last two seasons.

X was a freshman AD was a Jr. X came in behind 2 established guards. How are we to bring in an established shooter? ... if you assume X can't shoot after a freshman season where he shot 43% on 32 shots, then you would have to assume every incoming freshman is not a shooter either until they prove themselves to be one ... so we cannot take any freshman as they are not proven shooters.

There is no way to assume X is not a better shooter than Danny, Luke or Dwayne ... we have the room and the scollies to give ... why would we not want to upgrade?