Levick on KMOX with Bernie at 8:40

davidnark

Bernie definately didn't rip on the bills to her face. However, I thought it was funny that right after Cheryl hung up, Bernie started dissing the A10 saying only 1 team will go to the tourney and I thought he was trying to say the MVC, slu's other "option" is an up-and-coming, kind of better conference.

I thought Cheryl was a bit unprepared. Before they finished, Bernie had to ask her what if people want to donate, "what should they do". I just thought Cheryl should have been a little more forward with this telling people what to do. I got the impression that she wouldn't have said anything had Bernie not brought it up.

in no particular order...

-CL asked BM to donate and he said he would but his meager wage wouldn't allow for much

-BM very curious about who the donor is

-donor not gotten by CL but rather by Board of Directors and FB

-BM mentioned how Mizzou wanted to keep their big pocket a secret but it got out quickly

- CL told him she did not know this but she isn't saying and thinks we will never know

-donations were coming in "every day" through Dec and then kind of stopped in the new year

-BM asked how hard it is raising $$ during this poor season and CL said for the folks that would have given $500 for a winner they won't give now but the 7 and 6 figure donors can see the future

-I somehow am thinking CL said "the donor may match upto $2 mil which would get us to $19" - as a SLU grad that math don't work 13 + 4 =17(not an English major) does someone have a better recollection of this??

-18 months construction from first shovel to bldg opening

-still mentions summer '05 potential constuction start date but that there is absolutely no timetable, this will get done when it gets done

my thoughts

-CL portrays herself very well in these situations

-great idea (wonder whose it was) on the matching part as it has sparked interest according to CL

-after CL left and a commercial break BM mentions how the MVC has 4 teams with RPI's higher than the highest A10 team but that these things are different year to year and closes with "maybe SLU can have a soft landing in the A10 next year" - what a chowderhead

while it is true that there are 4 mvc teams with higher rpi's today, there is still only one mvc team in the top 40. which is the guarantee mark. true wsu and northern iowa are somewhat in the bubble range especially wsu. but if siu runs the table, including the tourney and wsu and northern iowa stumble, guess what, they will both only get one bid. it isnt as though the mvc is challenging the acc for the top conference by any means.

I believe it was mentioned (while I watched the Zags last night) that the West Coast Conference that the Zags and St. Mary's are members has a conference RPI rating of 7??? If that is true then that would rank them ahead of the A10, CUSA, and MVC this year.

that is correct. and both gonzaga and st mary's are ranked in the top 40. a huge advantage the conference has imo is that it remained small. with only 8 teams, all teams play each other twice thus with two very good teams, that helps keep the bottom feeders rpi higher as well. these large conferences are a mess (including the new a-10). having more than 10 teams only serves to make it impossible to play everyone twice and that imbalances the schedule and imo damages the credibility of declaring a true champion in some years.

they probably only knew because davidnark cc'd slu about the scenario in his e-mail. i wouldnt give our sid that kind of credit. it seems to me the sid at slu thinks his job is to print halftime stats and create media guides. which they do very well.

She was on with Randy Karraker at about 8:20. It was essentially the same interview but I think RK showed more interest in the interview than BM. It flowed better - if that makes sense.

Only other things to add. She said any donation should be mailed to her and she would personally write a thank you note. She since the $1 donation, she had received three calls about donations for $50,000, $40,000 and $20,000 respectively in addition to an increase in smaller donations.

She has just completed her first 6 months on the job and evaluation of the program. She is working on a five year plan for all sports to make sure everyone is looking to the future and working with a specific plan and goal. It almost sounded like some programs are being run in a chaotic manner with no real purpose or plan.

Overall good interviews with both RK and BM. Any publicity is good publicity.

>-BM very curious about who the donor is

>-donor not gotten by CL but rather by Board of Directors and

>FB

>-BM mentioned how Mizzou wanted to keep their big pocket a

>secret but it got out quickly

>- CL told him she did not know this but she isn't saying and

>thinks we will never know

This might have something to do with the mystery donor. Earlier this week, don't remember exactly which day, cars showed up on campus. There are 2 cars from Don Brown Chevy by the Biondi Student Center and another between the rec center and west pine. That may have been a favor for a large donation? Or maybe something totally unrelated? Anyone?