Misplaced Anger: Bernie Miklasz isn't why SLU sucks

pooch1918

Get over it. Is Bernie the most informed merchant of SLU information? No. Does Bernie understand the nuances of SLU's admission policies? No. Is Bernie right on the mark with the tone of his criticism about SLU's ineptness this year? Absolutely. You can't expect the major media to give SLU the "little-program-that-could" treatment every year. The school's aiming high with the program...and this year has been disastrous. Thank God the A-10 already accepted SLU. You can expect an undiscriminating cheering section from chat boards designed by die-hard SLU fans. Don't be childish enough to think a major metropolitan newspaper will do likewise. And, no, I'm not Bernie.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now you are just being silly.

Bernie made a mistake. Instead of owning up to it like a responsible journalist, he dug in his heels. Then, when a few people called him on it, he got his little feelings hurt.

His professional journalistic response?

Attack the school of his antagonists (Yeah, that's right Bernie, it's me). Can you get anymore unprofessional and childish? That is a big black mark for BM and empirically demonstrates his blatant lack of professionalism.

Poochie, you need to separate the two issues (maybe you should reread all of the posts here and in Bernie's Box). David's original point was about Gordon and the misreporting by BM. BERNIE and BERNIE alone turned it into a bash SLU party just because he wants to get even. He is even "inspired" (his words, not mine) to attack the program now because of the criticism he has received for HIS MISTAKE.

If you want to jump on the anti-SLU bandwagon, knock yourself out, I'm sure BM will welcome you with open arms. But don't misrepresent what the issue is just to make your anti-SLU point.

I'm not interested in re-reading 359 meandering, jibberish posts to get to the heart of someone's beef with Bernie...all I'm saying is this: Certain SLU fans ALWAYS ***** about Bernie and it's because they have an ignorant conception of the professional media. Speaking of that:

St. Louis is the 21st largest media market in the United States. Ahead of places like Pittsburgh, San Diego, Baltimore and Indianapolis. The Post has a daily circulation of about 300,000. Show me any standard by which that's looked at as NON major metro daily.

I'm not anti-SLU, I'm as true blue as you'll find. I'm just not drinking the kool-aid.

The Post has been losing circulation as long as the city itself has been losing population. They'll not get my 50 cents due to their left leaning news coverage. The sports page is as big an embarressment but not as important to me. If the post is a great metropolitan newspaper, the Billikens are a great basketball team (based on greatness last century.)

The problem is that many die-hard SLU fans have a huge chip on their shoulder. They won't admit that SLU is class B. Everything - every single thing - about SLU's basketball program is class B. The practice facilities, the coaches offices, the weight room, the fan base. It's all class B. You can deny it all you want, but denial won't change it. Do you want improvement? I do. The only way to get improvement is to admit the fundamental flaws and then demand improvement.

The debacle of a season is more the administration's fault than anyone else's. If we had the facilities and stadium this program could move out of Class B. But it won't have those things until it has the full support of the administration. And because someone may bring it up, I don't think a powerpoint presentation that says we'll build a basketball stadium when the alumni give us $35 million is real support.

I look at slubillikens.com and it's a joke. It's February 21 and the AD's monthly message is from January. It hasn't been redesigned in how long? Mis-spelled names of hall of famers? Claiming the PD is irrelevant? Give me a break. This school needs all the help it can get and claiming that a major media source in St. Louis is unimportant is just stupid. Maybe the AD should hire a PR person before she does anything else. Rule 101 - if you say you'll do something do it right and do it on time - even a stupid monthly message.

Rambling I know, but it is so frustrating to see this program continue to wallow in mediocrity and read all the excuses the fans provide for it. It's unacceptable.

Here is central theme of Nark's initial post in Bernie's forum.

"The reality, however, is that SLU has a limited number of scholarships and can't sign every local player who might have great success in college. I would bet very good money that Bernie couldn't tell you the status of Gordon's eligibility out of high school, the number of scholarships SLU had available that recruiting year, and the number of players SLU had returning at that position on its roster."

But instead of addressing the substance of the post and similar themes in followup posts, Bernie goes into "SLU is a substandard program and is lucky I even mention them" mode, which has nothing to do with what's being discussed. That's what turns so many SLU fans off.