Are we really this bad?

slu72

Given the level of competition we've been losing to you've really got to wonder about the talent level of this team. We'd all be a lot less concerned if we were 1-4 but those close losses came to the likes of KU, Illinois, etc. But we've lost to OR and Hawaii at HOME for cripes sake and AP and EM on a neutral court. It's bad if we can't find a way to beat these teams no matter how bad we are shooting. Which brings up the point how bad our are shooters if they can't score against these lower to mid level teams? How tough are baskets going be to come by against the UC's, UL's, and Marquettes of the world. We should find out where we stand against top notch teams as soon as we face both Iowa and Zaga on the road.

so slu 72, let's just say that tom frericks had made 3 putbacks more each game and we would be 5-0. those wins would not have been very impressive wins. but still wins. my bets are that you and a lot of others would be talking about ncaa tourney now. instead you questioning our talent level. personally i still think this is a better than 500 team that just needs to get the contributions inside. if we also start shooting a little better from the outside, i think this team could go on a long run.

the biggest two fears i had going into the season were:

1. how would we replace the defensive intensity of fisher and sloan and maintain the defensive efforts overall that the past coach soderberg teams have shown? we have actually far exceeded and answered that fear.

2. would izik ever become a consistent contributor that we would be able to keep in the game and provide scoring and rebounding? i even went as far as stating that izik was the secret to the difference between an nit and an ncaa team. well izik is playing 33 minutes a game and is averaging 13 points and 8 rebounds a game. fantastic numbers.

what none of us counted on was frericks and ian averaging a combined 6 points a game. frericks and ian shooting 35% and 27% from the field on there 5 footers. drejaj, bryant and polk all shooting under 36% from the field (btw, who would have guessed that drejaj would be the best of the three! not even me, who is anthony's biggest fan)

personally, i cant believe the above 5 are shooting that bad. frericks and ian should both be shooting 50% and the three guards should all be above 40%. they will come around. they better. if not, then we could see a below 500 season. or we could see a lot more of luke meyer, danny brown, darren clark, justin johnson and bryce husak. maybe they wouldnt do any better. but maybe they wouldnt do any worse either. if we are going to lose, let the kids play.

Broy, I'm not quitting on the Bills. I truly didn't believe we were headed for the NCAA this year. I did go for 19 wins, but this is looking doubtful as we should have got 4-5 of them in these games. Too much conference strength. Even if we were 5-0, while I'd be giddy, I wouldn't be making plans for a regional. I just want to know did a lot of posters over estimate the talent level of this team? We all heard glowing reports on VN and IV. VN does seem to be coming out of his paradise lost phase at least. But is IV? DC also was ooohed and aahed a lot. New body, new confidence, etc. To date...nada. Is he a D1 bust? Only guys who have exceeded preseason hype is IO. RB gets a pass because he's hurting. TF? He played better with allergies. DP, he's playing like a frosh; Brown, didn't expect much; LM, ditto, and JJ, expected nothing and getting it. From all I've read, and admittedly haven't seen them, it seems AD, TF, IV (right now), just may not be enough to make this team competitive this year. That's all.

Did you watch any practices this year?

IMO ... DC looked like a new player ... he was confident and looking like a leader. He also looked pretty good at the end of last year, especially the Iowa game. VN ... dominated the boards in practice and IV looked like a much improved player.

I agree it has not developed into success in games though.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

I have never heard Brad "rave" about Clarke. The word we got from the assistants was that he was improved. In my mind there have always been issues about his valuing the ball, shot selection and overall contribution re DC but I have not seen enough of him this year to know. I would agree that it is perplexing that he started the first game. The only thing I can gather is that he must have been practicing so well that the coaches wanted to reward him and then he reverted back to his old ways in the first game so he went to the bench.

He did say that Ian was much improved and that has turned out to be the case although he is not yet ready to man the center position full time.

It was the posters on this board that were raving about VN and how he would be a major upgrade over Chris Sloan, etc. I had my doubts. However, it has only been a few games and there is always a transition from junior college to big time D1 basketball. Remember how tough the year was when Love first arrived. I think we need to be patient and see how VN does once he feels more comfortable. I saw some good things on Sat.