2006 recruit(Bernie`s Bits)

BLIKNS

imo, it appears that some are confused as to how much publicity goes with the recruitment of a player.

I don't believe "offers" are normally highly publicized events, at least by the university extending the offer. Some coaches will only "offer" the number of scholarships they have coming available. Other coaches will make "offers" to four or five recruits for the same position, i.e., small forward, on a first-come-first-served basis. Why would a college coach want to leak an "offer" to a kid he considers a "sleeper" and perhaps bring other schools into the recruiting process?

Publicizing oral commitments is strictly handled by the player or player's school.

Some players make a big deal of their official signings, even going so far as to calling press conferences. The colleges can only publicize signings once the official documents are received.

Thanks, backwardsone. I now understand a bit better, although it also leads to a lot more questions, especially in the case of why Irons would announce/whisper/leak such a thing.

I can understand the process as a parallel to academic acceptance at a selective or highly selective school: You accept ("offer") to more people than you have places for, because any number of your recruits will end up going elsewhere.

The more interesting question to me is what such an offer actually means. What happens if some truly standout player at Hill's position and in Hill's year suddenly becomes enamored of SLU later in the process (and before Hill has accepted)? What does "first-come-first-served" really mean?

It also appears the coach in tseug's example ('Why would a college coach want to leak an "offer" to a kid he considers a "sleeper" and perhaps bring other schools into the recruiting process?') lacks any control whatsoever, since, as in this case, someone else can leak the offer at will. Pretty weird -- but now that the thing has been better explained, I certainly withdraw any criticism of the athletic department for not controlling an information flow over which they have no control.

If SLU offers Bobby Hill a scholarship, and I'm not sure that will happen, the Billikens probably would have already extended three offers to local junior recruits that play the same position.

DeSmet's Jarod Leonard has an offer. I've heard Civic Memorial's Dustin Maguire has an offer. Leonard is a 6-foot-6 shooting guard, while Maguire is a 6-5 shooting guard/small forward. Hill is a 6-4/6-5 guy who plays shooting guard or small forward.

My guess is SLU would get a commitment from one of these guys. Leonard and Maguire are already well known by a lot of schools, so they will have several coaches after them. Hill wasn't even a starter last year, so I don't know how many schools are interested in him -- and it's difficult to say how good he really is.

- Nate

Schools are not allowed to talk about recruits until they have signed letters of intent.

When a prospect makes a commitment to a school, he usually either calls the local media (schools usually ask him to do this, because it helps with recruiting other area kids) or his coach calls the media to alert them. That is how I find out about this stuff, usually.

Newspaper beat writers that cover colleges (or people who work for schools -- like Frank Cusumano does with broadcasting games) will regularly get scoops about recruits from the college coaches they cover, even though that is techinically against the rules.

- Nate

Who knows what the reasoning behind this announcement by Floyd are. Floyd and Bernie are really good friends too, why wouldn't he give it directly to him? Puzzling. Only thing for usre is known, Floyd does things to enhance his own credentials and ego, at the detriment of everyone else, players, fellow coaches included.

Bobby Hill is an athletic dynamo but Macguire and Leonard seem a better fit. As always there is a chance that grades will be a problem with a Vashon player, it is possible that this will just go away but we really cannot afford to piss off Irons or his program, he has a juggernaut at Vashon. In all his years he has never had as much talent, overall as he does now. Losing out on players a few blocks from campus will not be good.

I have thought this in watching Dwayne Polk play, he needs someone out in front of him or at least in step with him, while Reggie is a great shooter, and AD is a tenacious player, neither appear to be finish well. The guy I think does finish well, (except for yesterday, but i think he was tripped) is Danny Brown the kind of player Polk needs if they are going to be able to play in transition.

"As always there is a chance that grades will be a problem with a Vashon player"

Torch,

Please give examples to backup the above statement where Vashon players (other than Nick Kern)who are recruitable skillwise don't get into schools because they can't qualify academically.

My quick recollection over the past few years is that Shelton got into SEMO and left (I heard for personal reasons not academic related but I don't know for sure), McKinney and Franklin(for football but played basketball at the V) are at Mizzou, Polk is at SLU, not sure what happened to Gordon so he may or may not fit this discussion and there was a QB at the V that went to Mizzou also, not sure on his status there(I remember him and McKinney being close friends). How many schools in STL area have produced this many D1 prospects in the last 5-6 years and have a better placement record that is public knowledge?

Looking at Vashon from afar and commenting on this without really knowing (but that is a large part of internet posting), I think the record is pretty good, all things considered.