Season starts tomorrow!

SLURadioBoy

I'm getting really excited about the season starting tomorrow...who's with me? Anyone know what to expect from Austin Peay? Do they play at a slow pace or try to speed things up? I saw they were undefeated in conference play last year (until the conference tourney), but lost 4 of 5 starts. Anyone think we might have problems with them?

"Praises we sing, to you our alma mater,

Praise to the white and blue.

Our hymn shall ring, in tribute strong to you,

We hail Saint Louis U."

Official Billikens.com sponsor of Andrew Latimer

I doubt that we have a problem with them. We should be able to blow them out. I know it is early but if we have trouble with a team like AP we are really going to have trouble with the top half of CUSA.

Anyone know if the game will be broadcast over the internet for free anywhere?

They did - they won the Ohio Valley Conference championship with a 22-10 overall record. Apparently, they've lost four out of five starters from last year's team. Still, based on our early season performances the last few years, we can't afford to take anyone lightly.

I'm extremely excited that another season is about to begin. I probably would have gone to the Virgin Islands to watch the Paradise Jam this weekend, but I am the best man in a wedding tomorrow. Oddly enough, the bride and groom (both SLU alums) will be honeymooning in St. Thomas, so maybe they'll get to see the Billikens play!

Austin Peay was in the NIT last year but they had a really good season (gave Louisville and Memphis good games on the road). Two years ago they beat Memphis and went to the NCAAs.

This year they return only one starter, Anthony Davis and he sounds pretty good. BUT he is hurt and will be out; with a few others banged up. They do not sound very confident.

http://www.theleafchronicle.com/apps/pbcs..../411190356/1006

They will be a little down from last year but they have some new players that may step up.

http://www.apsu.edu/letsgopeay/game_notes/...game_notes1.pdf

A kinda funny story from my dad, who was the team accountant for the Spirits of St. Louis, the ABA franchise that played here in the mid 70's. They had a player named Fly Williams who went to Austin Peay. Apparently, he signed with Austin Peay without ever having visited the campus, because when it came time for him to start school, he booked a flight to Austin, Texas, and at the airport hailed a cab and told the driver, "Take me to the Peay!"

fly williams, i believe, was from new york city and either led the nation in scoring or was close to it.

terry pluto's book "loose balls" is a great read about the old aba. he has a chapter about the spirits and talks about fly williams, maurice lucas, marvin barnes and bob costas. doing the spirits play-by-play on kmox was bob's first job out of college.